It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Hope For MS Sufferers.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

"ShK may not last long enough to prevent or treat disease on a long-term basis," Wulff said. "But it appears to match the biochemical structure of the channel well enough to block it and change the T cells' responses. Our group is searching for chemically similar substances that last longer in the body."

"This research shows that we may be able to effectively treat the disease while preserving the immune system by targeting a specific cellular ion channel," Beeton said. "Still, researchers will have to find out what dose works best to treat MS, whether it can work on other illnesses and at what stage of a disease treatment should begin."

The researchers' work was supported by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, the French Association pour la Recherche sur La Sclérose en Plaques, Fondation pour la Recherche Medicale and the U.S. National Institutes of Health.

Beeton's and Wulff's colleagues in the study include Michael Cahalan and George Chandy at UCI, Jocelyne Barbaria, Olivier Clot-Faybesse, Dominique Bernard and Evelyne Béraud of the Faculté de Médecine, Marseilles, France, and Michael Pennington of Bachem Bioscience, King of Prussia, Pa. Béraud's team at the University of Marseilles induced the experimental form of MS in the rats. Michael Pennington and his team at Bachem synthesized the ShK venom component that was used in the study.

###

Andrew Porterfield
(949) 824-3969
[email protected]

Return to News Release

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Roid_Rage27

The problem with people who discover "cures" is that most likely they were not properly diagnosed in teh first place.

Diagnosis is never 100%.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlegmi

Because autopsies are pretty basic. They cut you open and check out your organs. If nothing looks out of the ordinary, they make a note of it. Unless there is good cause, they are certainly not going to delve so deep as to study the vessels in your brain.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
This is hopeful news but I am worried it will get smothered like many other solutions to MS in the past.

It's either lack of funding or rants about it being untested and therefore dangerous (yet there are proven cases a remedy does work) - the mind boggles.

My sister who sadly passed away six years ago suffered from a severe form of MS.

It started when she was 17 and lasted until she was 29 when she passed away.

The symptoms were small at first but gradually she became debilitated and then through time had hip and join replacements etc until she could no longer walk.

I dropped out of uni to care for her during this time so I became quite accustomed to the various tests and medicine she was on, some worked some didn't but I clearly remember HOW HARD WE HAD TO FIGHT with the UK government to get any kind of funding and support.

Back then MS was a medical taboo subject (still is I suppose) so it was frustrating trying to get any kind of assistance.

We spent the best part of $300,000 dollars on everything from hyperbolic chamber treatments to esoteric medicine that cost an arm and a leg to purchase and then a fight just to get the damn thing into the UK.

When I did my homework on the subject I remember finding patterns of similarity to other neurological illnesses.

The idea of the vessels becoming clogged makes a lot of sense - something I found with my sisters case was her body was over compensating all the time e.g. firing too many signals down her nerves which eventually caused scarring and then subsequently malformed messages (resulting in impaired motor functions etc).

It angers me when I hear how there is a lack of funding for any of the potential remedies yet we are happy to spend billions on the war machine, truly a sad state of affairs.

I really hope someone picks this up and does something about it, my thoughts are with all of the ATS folk suffering from MS, remain strong and positive as the research and backing for MS is much better these days.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Thanks for all of the great information and keep it coming!

I have not read or heard many of the things written here before, which may be real valuable to many people.

When intelligent minds like you-all get together, I swear, we can move mountains!

I will be directing anyone I know and don't know with MS about this thread topic here.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I had no idea there were so many ATSers with MS. How many of you guys have suffered from some sort of physical trauma?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley
I had no idea there were so many ATSers with MS. How many of you guys have suffered from some sort of physical trauma?

For me there was nothing too unusual that stands out. I had mono at 15 and the same year had scarlett fever.

No car accidents or herpes (as once stated by docs who believed ms was caused by some herpes virus)

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure mono/Epstein Barr is in the herpes family.. so is shingles and chicken pox. I caught it in my early twenties after a dentist visit.

[edit on 24-11-2009 by riley]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Greetings,

I personally know close to a dozen people with MS and it has been a research point for me for some time now.

If the conclusions the doctor is putting forth are legitimate then I have some information that may assist those struggling with this debilitating illness.

Rather than wait for more studies to prove the theory one way or another or enlist in allopathic surgery, I invite you to examine the information I recently put together in an 11 minute online video.

Medical Industry Lies (Truth Exposed)

I truly believe we have the power to rid ourselves of these chronic conditions if we only had access to the correct information.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Yeah,

this looks like something, that the big wheels of pharma industry will not / cannot hinder the breakthrough of.

The good thing here, is that we are not talking about medication / lifestyle tips etc. (for eating habits etc.), so in a way, we are not talking about anything that would "compete" with the drug indusrty.

This is a simple finding of "how the thing is", and will help many - many - people, and will spread all over the world.

Which is nice..

edit: I am truly happy about this finding. Future will tell, how fast it is going to spread as a cure. But I am thinking, it will be "fast"..

[edit on 24-11-2009 by Jussi]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

Is anybody going to get some scorpions and sting themselves?
Why not?

You can get them in pet shops.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

Bee sting therapy is also popular with other auto immunity disorders such as arthritus and lupus.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Always love to hear of a good story where someone was Healed using more Natural Therapies. Good on that MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS.

And that WORM modality is good too (great article about it in the magazine MENTAL FLOSS). No wonder the HYGIENE HYPOTHESIS is gaining ground. There is one Dr. MARTHA HEBERT of Harvard who likewise feels the GUT/BACTERIAL connection to be instrumental in disease. AUTISM, for example.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

AHHHH

Very, very smart statement.

I was diagnosed with many things coming off some bad behavior a few years back and "cured" them via lifestyle alteration and supplementation and exercise...including Diabetes...

But I would say lifestyle was the cause and I probably actually had no actual "disease"

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I don't have MS but I'm curious if those of you who do take iodine supplements or liquid drops? I take iodine for other reasons but I keep seeing articles mentioning iodine deficiency possibly connected to many disorders, including MS, Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's.

mmsdr.com...
www.orthomolecular.org...
www.purehealthmd.com...

In case you're not familiar with iodine's history: Iodine in the US in the past was commonly used in baking bread. Iodine was replaced in the 60's with Bromide, which has been banned in many countries (but not in the U.S.). Americans 30 years ago didn't have the overall iodine deficiencies that are seen today. I've read in articles that iodine intake is about 50% now that it was 30 years ago here in the US.

Bromides in flour was banned in the U.K. in 1990, and in Canada in 1994, as being toxic, but the FDA still allows its use in the U.S, as of 2008. As iodine and bromine (and fluorides) are all related chemically (called halides), they can act as competitive inhibitors to each other.
source

Australia is now adding iodine to bread as they understand the connection to iodine and the brain/nervous system, something this country used to add to our bread.

www.foodproductdesign.com...

More iodine info:

Iodine also induces apoptosis, programmed cell death. This process is essential to growth and development (fingers form in the fetus by apoptosis of the tissue between them) and for destroying cells that represent a threat to the integrity of the organism, like cancer cells and cells infected with viruses. Human lung cancer cells with genes spliced into them that enhance iodine uptake and utilization undergo apoptosis and shrink when given iodine, both when grown in vitro outside the body and implanted in mice. Its anti-cancer function may well prove to be iodine’s most important extrathyroidal benefit.

Iodine has other extrathyroidal functions that require more study. It removes toxic chemicals – fluoride, bromide, lead, aluminum, mercury – and biological toxins, suppresses auto-immunity, strengthens the T-cell adaptive immune system, and protects against abnormal growth of bacteria in the stomach.

In addition to the thyroid and mammary glands, other tissues possess an iodine pump (the sodium/iodine symporter). Stomach mucosa, the salivary glands, and lactating mammary glands can concentrate iodine almost to the same degree as the thyroid gland (40-fold greater than its concentration in blood). Other tissues that have this pump include the ovaries; thymus gland, seat of the adaptive immune system; skin; choroid plexus in the brain, which makes cerebrospinal fluid; and joints, arteries and bone.
source

If you get too much fluoride (via drinking water) and bromides (store bought bread and other baked goods) and not enough iodine, then your body won't function properly to eliminate heavy metals and other toxins. Iodine is an essential trace element deficient in many Americans' diets, and iodine assists in removing toxins and heavy metals, so is there a connection to iodine deficiency and MS (since MS has been linked to heavy metal toxicity)? Is there an increase in MS in the thirty years since the US switched from iodine to bromate in baking? More on bromide/bromate dangers here.

I'm not a physician so I'm just throwing this out there for discussion, I have only recently started taking iodine supplements but in my research in the last month or so I have seen MS and other myelin disorders mentioned as possibly connected to iodine (and/or selenium) deficiency. Iodine in the past seemed to be an all-purpose cure and now you rarely hear anything about it. Perhaps is was phased out by Big Pharma because it is relatively inexpensive?

www.iodine4health.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Orion65

I also have had other immune problems in the past and have been told I should not have iodine at all as it could flair it up. Not an easy thing to do when almost everything has iodised salt in it. It is a good point though.

edited cuz hey this is all getting a bit too personal.

[edit on 28-11-2009 by riley]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I have MS and have been destroyed physically by this disease. I have tried clinical trials- and every MS drug outthere. I have done energy work on myself, as I am a Reiki Master, Massage Therapist, and have done every type- kind of alternative treatment- including TCM, acupuncture, and chelation.

Further more, alot of people who dont actually have MS get diagnosed with MS because of their symptoms-- and this can be tied to having cardiovascular problems and thus because of this procedure this person was helped.

As much as I would like for CCSVI to be the cure we've all been waiting for--- how can MS can be caused by arteries being clogged in the brain and spinal cord and the MRI's not picking up on it. Additionally, high blood pressure would be associated with this for that amount of plaque build up.

From all my research life experience, and professional observation as a Massage Therapist who works with people on Traumatic Touch release---
MS is not a vitamin deficiency, as it is an emotional scar. My MS was caused by the ample amount of trauma I experienced as a child. While that may not always be the case with others, after deep meditation it has become clear to me that my immune system is shot due to my neurological suppression of deep rooted, unconsious trauma that my body continues to relive until it can be released.

[edit on 28-11-2009 by xynephadyn]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Bump-

Only because my father is looking at taking this article to his neurologist and see if he can get an ultrasound to check his vessels out. If it shows up blocked, and surgery is a possibility, I will let you know how it goes. But this is very interesting, definately the first time I've heard of MS being a vascular disease.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I just thought I would add this update:

www.buffalo.edu...

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- More than 55 percent of multiple sclerosis patients participating in the initial phase of the first randomized clinical study to determine if persons with MS exhibit narrowing of the extracranial veins, causing restriction of normal outflow of blood from the brain, were found to have the abnormality.

The results were reported today by neurology researchers at the University at Buffalo...

"The data encourage us to continue on the same course," he says. "They show that narrowing of the extracranial veins, at the very least, is an important association in multiple sclerosis. We will know more when the MRI and other data collected in the CTEVD study are available." The analyses are being conducted by an independent statistician.

The investigation is the first step in determining if a condition called chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency (CCSVI) is a major risk factor for MS. CCSVI is a complex vascular condition discovered and described by Paolo Zamboni, MD, from Italy's University of Ferrara. Zamboni's original investigation in a group of 65 patients and 235 controls showed CCSVI to be associated strongly with MS, increasing the risk of having MS by 43 fold.

So it seems that Zamboni's assertion has been corroborated by another study. This is really great news.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I previously mentioned how my father was going to ask his neurologist about this. He wasn't really a canidate for some like this considering his lesions aren't growing and he's been doing pretty well on the medicine he's taking now. So the doctor said it wasn't necessary to change what he's doing at the moment. He also mentioned how more research needs to be done before he would consider that kind of surgery for any of his patients.

Like the article above, it looks as if great information is coming out everyday on this. Seems like its only a matter of time.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join