It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 ships create as much pollution as all the cars in the world

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I don't know how many of you are actually concerned with pollution issues, as I have noticed that past threads on the subject seem to come and go from the recent posts list fairly quickly.

This is not a global warming thread, it is more of a pollution and health thread.

As ships get bigger, the pollution is getting worse. The most staggering statistic of all is that just 16 of the world’s largest ships can produce as much lung-clogging sulphur pollution as all the world’s cars.

Hmm; interesting..............

There are now an estimated 100,000 ships on the seas, and the fleet is growing fast as goods are ferried in vast quantities from Asian industrial powerhouses to consumers in Europe and North America.

So if just sixteen of these ships can contribute as much pollutant as 800million cars then you start to get the picture when you realise there are around 100,000 ships on the seas.

James Corbett, of the University of Delaware, is an authority on ship emissions. He calculates a worldwide death toll of about 64,000 a year, of which 27,000 are in Europe. Britain is one of the worst-hit countries, with about 2,000 deaths from funnel fumes. Corbett predicts the global figure will rise to 87,000 deaths a year by 2012.

Looks like there will be a few less people around to worry about whatever is supposed to occur in 2012.

For decades, the IMO has rebuffed calls to clean up ship pollution. As a result, while it has long since been illegal to belch black, sulphur-laden smoke from power-station chimneys or lorry exhausts, shipping has kept its licence to pollute.

Well, It doesn't look like there is too much pressure on the IMO (International Maritime Organisation) to put a stop to this growing issue.............

A year ago, the IMO belatedly decided to clean up its act. It said shipping fuel should not contain more than 3.5 per cent sulphur by 2012 and eventually must come down to 0.5 per cent. This lower figure could halve the deaths, says Corbett.

It should not be hard to do. There is no reason ship engines cannot run on clean fuel, like cars. But, away from a handful of low-sulphur zones, including the English Channel and North Sea, the IMO gave shipping lines a staggering 12 years to make the switch. And, even then, it will depend on a final ‘feasibility review’ in 2018.

In the meantime, according to Corbett’s figures, nearly one million more people will die.

Source

Well it looks like the IMO is attempting to do something about the deadly pollution but over the period of the stated twelve years, ships will also increase in number.

And at the expense of a million people, come on people, nobody cares about the lives of others anymore.

What can be done?

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
never hear Al Gore mention this, maybe it will hurt his masters...

make sure you by an electric car to save the earth, oh and don't forget to wave to all those ships in your local port.

[edit on 11/22/2009 by Alaskan Man]

Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

[edit on Sun Nov 22 2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
never here Al Gore mention this, maybe it will hurt his masters...

make sure you by an electric car to save the earth, oh and don't forget to wave to all those ships in your local port.

Hehehe, Al Gore is a massive SnakeOil salesman.
He uses more energy than any regular american and he buys Co2 quota (?) from his own company...

Watch this for more info on the whole Scam that is going on..
Go to 8:30 of the clip for info about Al Gore.. LOL !!

[edit on Sun Nov 22 2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
Hehehe, Al Gore is a massive SnakeOil salesman.
He uses more energy than any regular american and he buys Co2 quota (?) from his own company...

haha i know it, i was just making a joke.

the guys the definition of a hypocrite.

not to mention he refuses to debate his beloved movie.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
16 ships = 800,000,000 automobiles

That seems very hard to believe to me, to be honest.

How are they relating the correlation between the two?

16 ships operating for 1 hour = 1 hour of global traffic?

16 ships operating for 10 years = 1 year of global traffic?

The article may have explained and I overlooked it, but I'm curious as to what the conditions are/were that led to a comparative.

On a side note ...
In February of this year I contacted the offices of Al Gore about an engine design that my dad had created that uses no fuel and produces no exhaust. Gore's office told me that all of his environmental issues are handled by KPCB and gave me their contact info.
I emailed 18 members that were listed as part of the "KPCB GreenTech Team". Not a single person replied to the email. Al Gore never replied either.
Around the same time I emailed Dan Sperling who is the director for Institute of Transportation Studies at UC Davis. I watched an episode of The Daily Show w/ John Stewart and Mr. Sperling was a guest. He was talking about the current situation with global pollution and transportation.

SO .. I emailed Dan Sperling. Email subject: "The Future of Transportation and It's Impact on Society". The email is fairly long, medium length maybe, and covers a lot of information regarding the impact of global transportation and how my engine design could help change it. This engine design is a limitless application that can be implemented into everything from a weed eater to the largest ships in the world, civilian or military.

Mr. Sperling did return my email. He said he was a busy man and then included a link to Amazon.com where I could buy his books.

It makes me wonder if these "GoGreen" people have any sincerity in their actions to actually make a change or to just make some change.

BTW .. If anyone is interested I have the emails still.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
another of the million reasons to BUY LOCAL

it's just a shame that when you do but something locally all the parts have most likely been round the world twice before being assembled nearby.

I could suggest an answer to this, 3d printers (aka rapid prototyper) and a change in the law so that the small industrial estate near me can formulate whatever car parts, electronic components, etc that i need without copyright issues... Suddenly the amount of rubbish flying, floating and driving around the world would drop drastically as rather than every factory sending stuff to every corner of the world local factories could respond to local demands.

we would have been able to reach the point this level of mechanization was common however all the key players would loose money if it ever happened so it wont, everything would be of a higher quality and easier to obtain but that means the monopolies that keep #them# above #us# would start to crack -tie it in with small local based power generation from renewable sources and well then all the government would do is provide health care, fire fighters, doctors and civil defense - how could they play powerpolitics and massage their egos if all they had to do was provide essential services!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by xSMOKING_GUNx

Originally posted by xSMOKING_GUNx
This is not a global warming thread, it is more of a pollution and health thread.

Indeed.

Hopefully the focus of your thread will be respected.

I particularly liked the graphic found in your source article:

Interesting subject.

[edit on 22-11-2009 by loam]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

The subject of this thread is pollution from ships and its effects.
There are plenty of threads around to discuss Al Gore, green/electric cars, etc.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I apollagize, if you watch the video, it shows al gore as a man polluting even more than you and I , yet he speaks of us as polluting shcum.

Sorry agian...

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Detailed Perfection
16 ships = 800,000,000 automobiles

That seems very hard to believe to me, to be honest.

How are they relating the correlation between the two?

16 ships operating for 1 hour = 1 hour of global traffic?

16 ships operating for 10 years = 1 year of global traffic?

I can see what you are getting at.

There is a lot more to account for in this equation, such as:

The type of fuel used, relatively clean lead free petrol in cars compared to the thick dirty bunker fuel of cargo ships.

Bunker fuel is also thick with sulphur. IMO rules allow ships to burn fuel containing up to 4.5 per cent sulphur. That is 4,500 times more than is allowed in car fuel in

So already, for every gallon of fuel a car pollutes the air with, the ships gallon is 4,500 times more polluting.

Source original artical

Then break down the number of cars per single ship, makes the figures a lot easier to digest.

Thanks to the IMO’s rules, the largest ships can each emit as much as 5,000 tons of sulphur in a year – the same as 50million typical cars, each emitting an average of 100 grams of sulphur a year.

Source

A large percentage of cars especially within Europe are small engined (around 1000cc), when these cargo vessels have engines putting out up to 136,000 bhp compared with the average car of under 100bhp.

And also these Cargo ships travel as close to non stop throughout their lifetime as they possibly can, thousands upon thousands of miles without stopping the engines, most of the time running at full (or close to full) power, where as a large percentage of cars may only travel for a few hours per week.

I would expect, taking in to account that a certain percentage of cars are not running (broken, crashed) but not recorded.

There is a percentage of second car owners etc..............I am sure there are also many other factors to account for.

The more you think it through, the easier it is to get your head around.

Hjalti Pall Ingolfsson from Icelandic New Energy, commented that ships are fast becoming the biggest source of air pollution in the EU. It is estimated that by 2020 emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides from ships will exceed land-based emissions in Europe.

Source

Thats all European land transport, natural and industrial pollution put together!!

More to read?

Regards S_G

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by xSMOKING_GUNx

Thanks for the info.

Yeah I can understand the idea once they start talking about in terms of comparative usage.

That was actually the idea I that I had in mind when I said it was hard to believe to be accurate.

Thanks again Smoke.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Wow. Wonder if this made MSNBC.

So there you have it. If you're environmentalist then you need to only buy "American". I cant recall seeing any Greenpeace press releases saying the same. Surely they tell you to buy local vegetables to cut fuel emissions, but never saw an across the board buy 'American" campaign. Its too bad all the global warming alarmism diverts all the attention away from undisputable environmental problems such as this, as its designed to do.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Sounds like a great way to create new jobs! Man the Oars turn off those nasty engines! Not to mention America would lose weight if we all have to take turns rowing the ships back and forth!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I sail in the Los Angeles harbor entance. The average container ships waiting for a pilot is about two all summer long. I don't know any stats, but the Asian countries were complaining of long ques several years ago. Threatening to go elsewhere like Mexico.
They ain't complaining anymore.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
xSMOKING_GUNx touched on this, but I thought I would expound on it.

This source states that

IMO rules allow ships to burn fuel containing up to 4.5 per cent sulphur.
and also that

A year ago, the IMO belatedly decided to clean up its act. It said shipping fuel should not contain more than 3.5 per cent sulphur by 2012

Is anyone here ware of the requirements for gasoline and diesel fuel?

On January 1, 2006, the sulfur content for gasoline produced at most refineries was lowered to a per-gallon maximum of 80 parts per million (ppm), with an overall maximum annual average of 30 ppm.
Source: www.npradc.org...

The sulfur content of this fuel – called Ultra Low-Sulfur Diesel, or U'___' – may not exceed 15 parts per million (ppm). EPA’s rules required 80 percent of highway diesel fuel to meet the new standard by June 2006, and by June 2010, all highway diesel fuel must meet the 15 ppm standard.
Source: www.npradc.org...

So, gasoline must meet requirements of 30 ppm. Diesel fuel is even lower in sulfur, meeting the 15 ppm requirement (as a former truck driver, I can personally state that the vast vast majority of truck stops now have U'___', as it is a violation of Federal Law to use anything else in engines manufactured in 2007 or later). Yet ships are allowed to use fuel with sulfur content of 4.5%, which is 45000 ppm! that is actually 1500 times the limit for gasoline and 3000 times the limit for diesel!

Now consider that there are laws that limit the amount of time a diesel engine can operate at idle (including time spent running air conditioning, heating, and electrical production for drivers). I would bet good money that these ships are idling the entire time spent waiting to load or unload.

Even worse is the realization that the goals for sulfur reduction are 3.5%, or 35000 ppm, by 2012, and a hopeful future goal of 0.5%, or 5000 ppm. Even of they reach their final goal, the ships will still be putting out 167 times what cars do, and 333 times what trucks emit!

Thank you OP, for bringing this into the open. Unlike CO2, SO2 is indeed a dangerous pollutant, including being the principle component of acid rain.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Some of the super large tankers use light crud oil in there engines.
Bunker oil is just lightly refined crud oil.

Since China and Korea build many of the ships now there are few ways to get these countries to build ships with cleaner engines because they are also major exporters and have a vested interest in using ships that use the cheapest fuel.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by xSMOKING_GUNx

As ships get bigger, the pollution is getting worse. The most staggering statistic of all is that just 16 of the world’s largest ships can produce as much lung-clogging sulphur pollution as all the world’s cars.

Hmm; interesting..............

People seem to forget here, that there is a major difference between pollution and sulphur pollution.

The Association of British Drivers:
Exhausts can also contain Sulphur Dioxide (SO2) from impurities in the fuel, but only 3% of the total emissions of this substance come from transport, the rest mainly from industry and power generation.

So, it doesn't really seem that transportation in general is the major factor anyway, which really changes the point of this discussion.

top topics

join