It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Correctness – My Personal Crusade

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Political Correctness came into vogue as the government began instituting social programs. It was necessary, in their view, to be able to group all of society into one group in order to administer the various programs being implemented "fairly". It is much harder to "govern" (control) people who are all different just as it is much harder to please people (get re-elected) who all have different beliefs. Inasmuch, most of this nation has been successfully indoctrinated into their lazy belief that we should all be treated equally. That is, what is good for one is good for all.

I have never wanted anyone to tell me how to think or what to say. I care about other people and I expect them to care about me. Short of being dishonest, I try very hard not hurt people's feelings and I expect them to do the same. I care about and respect what people believe and I am very interested in learning about their beliefs - sometimes I even change my own because theirs make more sense than mine. I embrace the opportunity for other people to add to my own knowledge and outlook.

However, DO NOT attempt to force me to accept something just because you or anyone else think(s) something is not inclusive (code for “not all the same” / control). We are not all the same. We do not all have the same beliefs. We all have different ways of expressing our different beliefs and, I believe, we should all celebrate those differences. That is what makes society interesting and beautiful to watch and exist in. Similar to trying to force a square peg into a round hole, do not try to force humanity into being all the same. That is not equality - that is identicalness – and that is control.

Most importantly DO NOT cast dispersions on people when they attempt to celebrate their own beliefs. Political correctness has done just that... and I'm sick of it. Thus, the first installment of my own personal crusade against it.

Merry Christmas!!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
You Should say Happy Holidays in Public because we live in a very diverse society ...

You Should say happy Christmas at home because that is what you believe in ...

[edit on 22-11-2009 by Polynomial C]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Polynomial C

No way.
You should say merry/happy Christmas at Christmas.

And in fact we do here in England.

[edit on 22/11/09 by blupblup]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
You should say what you believe.

I do not advocate intentionally being rude or prejudiced but some people just are. We can't change them.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Polynomial C
You Should say Happy Holidays in Public because we live in a very diverse society ...

Happy Halloween, Merry Christmas.... guess what, Christmas is a national holiday. We can say Merry Christmas whenever we like because it is called freeking Christmas.. Look at your damned calendar... what does it say?

PC bull is for fools who believe they have the right NOT to ever be offended by something.... guess what, everyone is always offended by something.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I should say what I believe!!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Yeah .. we should all say what we Believe .. let's throw our respect for other cultures out the window ..

.. In your home you can say whatever you want .. in public .. you should be a little more sensitive to the other cultures (Coexist)

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
What is 'Merry Christmas?'

I am given various and diverse 'holiday shout outs' by my Muslim and, especially, Jewish friends and colleagues. It does not offend me when someone wishes to spread their happiness during any kind of holiday, regardless of whether or not I share their beliefs.

So what if 'Merry Christmas' was something more? What if it reached the level of *gasp* proselytizing?

Then you should still say it in public and proudly. Even at this most extreme definition, you have freedom of consciousness and expression. I don't take my Jewish friends' "Happy Chanukah" as any insult or attempt to convert me or infringe on my freedom. But even if I did, the very definition of tolerance and diversity should afford them the right to say it.

Political Correctness is just what it sounds like; Political! Attempting to bully or limit a person's expression based on what organized or disorganized group they belong to.

Say Merry Christmas and be proud! Say it to Jews and Muslims, Buddhists and Athiests! If they have a problem with your joy and beliefs, its their inability to loosen up/live and let live which is the problem.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Yeah .. we should all say what we Believe .. let's throw our respect for other cultures out the window ..

.. In your home you can say whatever you want .. in public .. you should be a little more sensitive to the other cultures (Coexist)

Saying what I believe does not disrespect what you believe. You disrespect what I believe just by saying that I shouldn't say it because that means that you don't even care about what I believe. Very closed mindedness, in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

You confuse co-existence with a bland and sterile public sphere. No fun. How do you feel about public statements and door to door teaching by the likes of Jehova's Witnesses? When I walk outside my door in NYC, I see people from all different religions wearing their believes on their sleeves and even announcing it openly, handing out flyers, etc. Surely this is more extreme than simply wishing someone 'Merry Christmas.' I love it all.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

I Really don't care what you believe at all .. and you can say whatever you want for all i care..

but DON'T parade your own damn holiday in public like yours is the only one that matters ...

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

When did I ever say that mine is the only one that matters? In fact, I said just the opposite in my OP.

[edit on 22/11/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Are you serious?

You think people shouldn't wish each other merry Christmas at Christmas?

That's ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Here that Iamonlyhuman? Don't you dare be an individual!

My friends, I appreciate your 'live and let live' intentions, but lets not forget that part of life is expressing your beliefs openly and freely. That's what it means to live, freedom of conscience. The 'let live' burden falls on the listener.

Even if Iamonlyhuman had some kind of intolerance in his heart (which I sincerely doubt, and am not suggesting), who here is suggesting a restriction on the freedom of expression?

This is a big heckler's veto.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Christmas is a religious holiday .. i am a secular .. i do not want random Christians telling me to have a merry x-mas.. i do not also want a big sign that says HAPPY CHRISTMAS!! .. i do not want that kind of propaganda in front of me ...

.. In your house.. do whatever you want ..

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

So I will tell all the non Christians that if someone says Merry Christmas, to retort that Christ doesn't exist.

See how happy you feel by the end of the day after you hear it a few times.

To non believers, it is akin to having a religious belief thrown at you several times a day, and that person ASSUMING that you celebrate that belief.

I don't go up to every white person and say: Happy Hanuka.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

And if someone is offended that you do not want this?

Do you see how your logic is endlessly circular?

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
We absolutely should parade our holiday any way we want! It is called Christmas and I will say 'Merry Christmas' whenever I feel like it. I will boycott any business who refuses to allow the word Christmas. This is the most absurd trend I have ever seen in all my years and I will not sit by and take it lightly.

Have a Merry Christmas, or not. And I don't care one bit if this offends anyone -- nor shall I ever!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Live and let live man. Coexist. Public expression of religion is a human right. Your right to express atheism deserves equal protection as well. If someone tells you "Merry Christmas" on a sidewalk, feel free to tell them to # off, scowl, plug your ears, or hand them a richard dawkins book. Telling someone to 'keep their beliefs in the home' is the antithesis of tolerance.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

reply to post by blupblup

Christmas is a religious holiday .. i am a secular .. i do not want random Christians telling me to have a merry x-mas.. i do not also want a big sign that says HAPPY CHRISTMAS!! .. i do not want that kind of propaganda in front of me ...
.. In your house.. do whatever you want ..

It's not a religious holiday to me.
It's a time for being with friends and family and giving presents.

You are like some militant PC nutter.... i thought it was a rumour that people like you existed.. :shk:

Get a grip.

On another thread i shared my views on PC, and in most respects, why i think it's a good thing.
It makes us think about how we treat each other and so on.

You have taken it to the extreme and it's pathetic.
Christmas or Xmas is a tradition and a public holiday... if you don't wanna see the signs, how about you stay in?

What you propose is MPC

Militant Political Correctness and it's a joke.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join