It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York City info please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
In December I plan on taking my son to NYC for the Christmas displays. Right now it is a day trip because of hotel cost.

I really don't like day trips and would like to stay overnight. I am not familiar with NYC, and have never been there.

Is there any safe place to stay within some kind of driving distance that I don't have to sell my car for?

Thanks for any advice.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Is there any safe place to stay within some kind of driving distance that I don't have to sell my car for?

Thanks for any advice.

Take a look at NJ Transit's system map. Most of the towns in Morris, Bergen and Passaic county have hotels/motels a short distance from the stations and or bus stops. It's a one seat ride into Pennsylvania Station or the Port Authority bus terminal (I prefer the train, cleaner and roomier), from there it's a short walk or taxi ride to the displays on 5th Ave and the Rockefeller Center Tree.

[edit on 23-11-2009 by AugustusMasonicus]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Best hotel i found was the Pennsylvania.
www.hotelpenn.com...
Might i add, that iam so envious....
Have a great trip.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I only live a few hours fromNYC and have never been there. Becauses everytime I try, something happens to the city. One year it was flooding, another a power outage.

So we will see if I actually make it this time.

Thank you for the advice.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
So we ended up doing the day trip, but I definetly would like to stay longer. It is something to see.

Macy's and all the other store windows at christmas are just incredible.

Got to take several rides in the cab. Even my husband who can be a crazy driver was white knuckling the dash board.

Central park is just beautiful. I could of stayed there and in the zoo all day.

And times square is lots and lots of pretty screens.

Lots and lots of pretty clothes.

Could barely get into rockefeller center. It was so busy we actualy got stuck in a crowd on 5th ave. No one could move. Even locals were complaining about the crowd.

And what is up with the furs? A lot of people were wearing fur. Saw a whole family covered head to toe at the zoo, ironically.

It was kind of horrifying.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I only visited it in the summer, would like to go see it in the winter though

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Furs have always been big in NYC, from what I hear. My wife used to live in CT, and went there all the time.

Thing is, fur works. My apologies to all of the PETA activists, but c'mon, we've been wearing furs for ages, and synthetics are NOT as good. Protest all you want, but for those who toss paint on an expensive jacket, how would you like it dumped on your car? Vandalism is vandalism, whether for politics or not.

One of these days, I'll go up and see the city at Christmas. My wife says it's something else, but we only got to see it in the warm season.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
"Oh boy what is up with all the people wearing fur?" That is so funny.

EVERY country in the world where people who live in the cold latitudes wear fur to keep warm.

I wonder if she had on a nice felt hat to keep her head warm while she was there.

And nice sturdy leather boots to keep her feet dry.

Heck,the settlements that were first established here were nothing more the fur trading centers.

Including New Amsterdam or as it is known today New York City.

new topics

top topics

join