It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police seize US$2 million in false bills

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Police seize US$2 million in false bills

colombiareports.com

Agents seized more than 1 million counterfeit dollars sent to a courier business in Bello from the town of Quinchia, in Risaralda province, the police statement said.

"During the operation, 24 packages were confiscated containing 10,320 notes of 100-dollar denomination, equivalent to 1,032,000 dollars," it said.

Police investigators said the counterfeit dollars were intended for distribution outside Colombia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
That's a whole heap of fake money!

Does the fact that the paper waiting to be printed on had watermarks mean it was the actual paper used in the US to make dollar bills?

Does that mean there is someone on the inside passing on the paper to crooks on the outside?

How easy is it to fake a watermark?

I wonder if this story will make it out of Colombia, it would be interesting what the US secret service (they have jurisdiction over this do they, or is that just in the movies??!!) have to say about this.

Anyway, still a cool story, there must be some angry people crooks out there who just lost their fake cash!!

[edit on 22-11-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The first thing that came to mind was china and a story about them trying to crash the US dollar. If they had help with paper and equipment from china it would be another way to upset the dollar. wonder how much wasn't discovered.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Paper money is ALL fake...it would be preferable to use so called counterfeit paper money, those bills were not printed by the fed, therefore we owe no interest on it.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Nobody's thought of Chavez yet? I figured this was another attempt to derail the US / Columbia agreement....

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Can we send these good officers over to the fed? They've been running a counterfeiting operation for 96 years and no one has done anything about it so far...

China does not need to print fake dollars to devalue the dollar, neither does any other country. We're doing that with great results ourselves.

[edit on 22-11-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
There is so much counterfeit money circulating worldwide, no one can accurately estimate how much. Much but not all of it is US dollars. Some fakes are so well done only lab examinations by experts will show a difference.

I expect the US is hit by this dilution of it's currency, but they don't let on. The Nazis tried to use fake currencies and securities to fight the Allies. I expect something similar is happening in the Middle East and Asia. Italy used to do a lot of knockoffs, Japan as well. Newer sources are Iran, China, the Philippines.

Of course the US and Europe can fight back by releasing their own countering fake currencies. And maybe they are already doing it.

M

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

I don't know about this situation or how it works with watermarks (it's embedded between paper layers isn't it?) but I've read stories where someone will use an acid to scrub the ink from $1 bills, then using a high quality printer or copier, reprint them as $100 bills.

That way they have the legit paper to print on, and it still has the security strip in there, maybe the watermark but I'm not sure.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The US uses a special paper to print on.You can tell a real bill from a phony by the presence of microscopic size blue and red threads embeded in it.Thats one of the identifiers we had back in the day before those chemicaly active pens the cashiers use now.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
And that's what they confiscated.........

Imagine what's out there now?

Of course this was gonna happen en-masse, with trillions dumped into the economy.

I'm surprised that lazy feds even took the time to document all the new serial numbers on the bills LMAO!!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
And that's what they confiscated.........

Imagine what's out there now?

Of course this was gonna happen en-masse, with trillions dumped into the economy.

I'm surprised that lazy feds even took the time to document all the new serial numbers on the bills LMAO!!

When and if they ever change to the proposed new currency the "Amero" eventually all old dollars will need to be exchanged. They'd set some limit for how long the old money could be used for transactions.

Some real surprises when people go to baks or exchanges to conver their dollar holdings. Some major disappointments, shock, anguish, accusations, legal cases.

We're safer here in Canada. Some but not that much counterfeiting, all contained in the country.

I can see whole economies reliant on fake dollars being devastated. China, Russia, Iran, Philippines, Italy, much of the Middle East, much of Latin America,

Would be very interesting and educational.

Mike

new topics

top topics

join