It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Marine Corps course – Land Navigation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
After I started a thread on compasses I found some of you didn't know how to use a map and compass well here you go US Marine Corps course – Land Navigation SCRS 1201 It's in pdf format so you'll need acrobat reader to view but this is right from the Marine Corps University Sergeants Course handbook... enjoy and happy orienteering...

Let me know if the link stops working... to post it I had to use a free hosting site... if you want them I have other FMF manuals I can post too

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Nice. Was a long, long time ago when I took land navigation. I was

teaching my son land navigation before he left for Paris Island last

summer.

What other manuals do you have? My son will be home on recruiter

asstiance for the next month or so. The schools at 29 Palms have a two

month delay. And The Corps can't find anything else to do with him till

then. Maybe I can teach him something. Sempher Fi!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by 8654drp

Depends on his MOS I was one of those pesky trainers out at Lejeune So I have most things from the NCO training courses...

I was given the green light to upload a bunch of them to the media portal so I'll be making a special folder for FMF and Army manuals...plus anything else I can get my hands on... Once it's uploaded I'll post the link so you and your boy can go through the list and pick up what will help him in his career

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Great post really important to know how to navigate. it is something that everyone overlooks with the use of gps. but if something happens and gps is not working it will come in handy. (if you have a compass on you)

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Thanks he and I would appreciate that. Spent most of '79-81 at Lejeune.
Was at Geiger for his graduation from MCT this month ,and was awed by
the changes there.

Sempher Fi!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Great Post!!!

Thanks for providing this information for us. I'm sure it will prove useful when SHTF or in my case every day life.

I've had the privilege of reading quite a few of the USMC training manuals. It's not hard to see why they are the top military force in the world. I'm sure to get some new skills from this.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Lol I hated doing the night land nav in the Marines. There is always a small few that will walk off a small sandy cliff. The guy that was in front of me did. And I was being lazy and just following him. Good thing he yelled or I would have fallen also.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkice19

We had to go back in and get three that had gotten so lost, they hunkered down and were just waiting for someone to find them...

Luckily none of them went to the Fleet with me...

Good Memories...

Semper

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkice19

I hated Land Nav too , reverse azimuth my @$$

I was a Krulak Marine anyway so by the time I got to fleet , we had pluggers and some guys had their own GPS. Being the POG that I Was , If I ever had to actually REMEMBER what I learned in Land Nav and use it in the field , I would have been in a world of hurt.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
LOL, I was one of those that if we did any land nav in the fleet I brought my cheap Garmin GPS...I dont' care what anyone says a GPS is more accurate than you will probably ever be! I'm pretty sure when I didn't have a GPS I missed one or two of those darn red or green boxes...

P.S. I was a POG too, so go figure!

[edit on 29-11-2009 by JJRichey]

top topics

join