It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California students protest university fee hike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   

California students protest university fee hike

www.google.com

SAN FRANCISCO — Student protests spread at California state universities over a big tuition hike Friday, with protesters barricading themselves inside a building at the University of California, Berkeley.

Several students, their mouths covered with bandanas, used a bullhorn to rally hundreds of protesters standing in rain outside an English department building at Berkeley, a flashpoint for student protests in the 1960s.

Police made three arrests and closed off the area...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cbs47.tv
edition.cnn.com

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
This is a perfect example of a protest. For those that have followed the G-20 protests and think that is what it means to protest. Take a look. These kids aren't breaking things, they aren't burning things, they are protesting.

This is the difference between a riot and a protest. These students are protesting an injustice. They are doing it in the right way. Yes, they probably will be arrested. But I doubt seriously that anything will come of any trial because they are protected under the first amendment.

Let's hear it for standing up for your rights!

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
What kills me about these sort of things is how much money is wasted in administration. Usually Deans are overpaid.

I know someone who worked for several universities and the Deans squander money on themselves, and there is corruption. And money is wasted on frivilous pursuits or unfinished projects.

It always kills me about student hikes, because there are certainly places where it can be trimmed other then students.

College is now becoming for the elite again. Not the average student. So many people can't afford it anymore.

There is one answer for that, stop requiring a degree to do every stupid thing.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

There is one answer for that, stop requiring a degree to do every stupid thing.

This I agree with. It was impossible for me to go to college when I was younger. I had to work and live on my own. I feel that I am a reasonably intelligent person. But without a degree my choices are quite limited.

I agree with these protesters however. I think that college is way too expensive and to hike up the tuition especially in this economy is insane.

top topics

join