It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You make your own luck?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I've had this questions sitting on my brain for too long, and I'd love to share this with you all...

Last week, everything started to go downhill again. It has been like that since i was a child anyway but it's not something you can call "pleasant". My "success rate" varies... from bad (that's my "normal") to awful (the max level), and I don't see anybody who have had this "waves" for this much time.

I suddenly started to wonder "why" all of this happens.
What determines people's level of success? I know people who seems to have a shining star over their heads, people that didn't had any possibility of being successful on life but they are. And others who can't be successful in anything or have a lot of trouble to get over some situations that aren't that difficult

I'm not comfortable with the word "luck", because I really don't know if believe on it or not, but sometimes it seems to be the keyword for this.

And if that's real... Is it determined by karma? Sometimes I really wonder why I have to surpass this large amount of obstacles to reach my goals, don't reaching it in the majority of cases. I have been pushing myself too hard to "win the race", if you want to call it like that, but there's like an invisible wall between me and that goals almost the 70% of times.

What did I do to have that wall here? Was I a murderer... or a very important person and I need to taste failure? Or maybe that time, when i was a kid, and I said to a classmate that I was more intelligent than her is paying itself? Those "3 times back" does really exist? (when you do something it will return to you 3 times, i don't know if there's a better translation of this) I'm really not a bad person in this life and my goals aren't that "unreachable".

Is "luck" a valid therm? "You make your own luck"?. I've lost the count of how many times I've heard that in the last years when I complain about not getting the results I want even when I've cried and bleed to get them. I try to be positive, do things well, be responsible (even when that's SO hard for me), and make every effort needed to reach my goals, but no, there's always a "but..." here. In a time it was my health, now it's money, other times is just that, time, or lack of abilities that need to be learned from 0....

Bad karma, bad luck... or just a predestination of being a failure on the matrix?

And then appears another concept: fate.
Are we predestined to be what we are? As I heard on a tv series one time.... did we have our place on earth designed before we born? Are we able to change that with our own will?
Then the "you make your own luck" comes again...

that's the "big picture" of what's going on my head lately, I hope it's clear (I'm so taking formal english classes soon). I wish we can discuss this (politely, please)

[edit on 22-11-2009 by Caggy]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Ever since I went through my copious-amounts-of-marijuana phase and realized fear was a choice, I seemed to have increased my "luck" ten fold. I honestly can't remember the last time I spilt a glass of liquid. Not to say I don't knock them over, but I seem to always miraculously catch them in the most impossible of angles now.

I seem to think since my luck improved, and people's lives do, on a whole, go through periods where they seem less lucky and more lucky at times, it is reasonable to deduce that we do create our own luck.

I personally believe in the whole "vibrations" thing. You attract the same quality experiences as your thoughts. I don't think there is any voodoo going on there, just very sensitive microdecisions and movements that you aren't always aware of. Whose to say what sort of undetectable chain reaction of effects happen when you change your thinking.

Another thought is the "You are asking for certain experiences to teach yourself certain lessons."

[edit on 22-11-2009 by Reddupo]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
that is very interesting
if that is true im worried to know if we create our own bad luck

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I constantly wonder this as well. I seem to go through periods - ie -now- that seem that whatever I do to try to move forward, the momentum of drive winds up lacking. Or , something silly comes along to screw it up. Now I've watched that documentary or whatever you call it, 'the secret'. Everything it said resonated w/ me. I was bound and determined to manifest my own success in whatever I try to do......

But then I will dwell on what has happened in the past, and it's like putting a band- aid of positivity on a lifetime of crap. I've even heard my friends say they've never seen anyone have as much foul luck as I have. I want this to change, I really do - but how? what holds us back? I believe the choice's you make are extremely important - just like the 'fear is a choice' statement from Reddupo. If someone knows how to reprogram yourself, please, enlighten me/us.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
luck is like linked to suspicion...dont count on that!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I wish that were true in my case, and I think for some people it may be true. What I have learned in life is you can't control other people. Most of these success despite the odds type people had at least one person who gave them an opportunity. Some one who hired them when no one else would, a teacher who showed a bit of interest and encouragement, ect. You can fight like hell to succeed in life but if no one will cooperate it makes it kinda tough. So really what it boils down to is getting out there and meeting people and hopefully you'll find that one person who will help you turn your luck around. The more people you know the better your chances.
Also in my experience most of the bad choices i have made in life were not from carelessness or or being irresponsible. On the contrary, I was trying to do the right thing and make the best decision I could, but were I went wrong was lack of knowledge to be able to make the right decision. So learning and educating your self in every way possible and in anything and everything. You never know when some book you read 3 years ago could change your perception when confronted with a life altering choice leading you to make the right one instead of the wrong one.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by hhcore
If someone knows how to reprogram yourself, please, enlighten me/us.

The sheer thought of reprogramming yourself will work wonders on your luck. Just be more conscious of yourself and your energy when you encounter good or bad luck, pay attention to the moon phase, time of day, what you eat, what you are wearing, where you are when you feel the good or bad luck. try to remember the feelings and associate them with the things i referenced above. you would not believe how many good days i ended up wearing bright colors and the moon was half full.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Caggy
I've had this questions sitting on my brain for too long, and I'd love to share this with you all...

Last week, everything started to go downhill again. It has been like that since i was a child anyway but it's not something you can call "pleasant". My "success rate" varies... from bad (that's my "normal") to awful (the max level), and I don't see anybody who have had this "waves" for this much time.

I suddenly started to wonder "why" all of this happens.
What determines people's level of success? I know people who seems to have a shining star over their heads, people that didn't had any possibility of being successful on life but they are. And others who can't be successful in anything or have a lot of trouble to get over some situations that aren't that difficult

I'm not comfortable with the word "luck", because I really don't know if believe on it or not, but sometimes it seems to be the keyword for this.

And if that's real... Is it determined by karma? Sometimes I really wonder why I have to surpass this large amount of obstacles to reach my goals, don't reaching it in the majority of cases. I have been pushing myself too hard to "win the race", if you want to call it like that, but there's like an invisible wall between me and that goals almost the 70% of times.

What did I do to have that wall here? Was I a murderer... or a very important person and I need to taste failure? Or maybe that time, when i was a kid, and I said to a classmate that I was more intelligent than her is paying itself? Those "3 times back" does really exist? (when you do something it will return to you 3 times, i don't know if there's a better translation of this) I'm really not a bad person in this life and my goals aren't that "unreachable".

Is "luck" a valid therm? "You make your own luck"?. I've lost the count of how many times I've heard that in the last years when I complain about not getting the results I want even when I've cried and bleed to get them. I try to be positive, do things well, be responsible (even when that's SO hard for me), and make every effort needed to reach my goals, but no, there's always a "but..." here. In a time it was my health, now it's money, other times is just that, time, or lack of abilities that need to be learned from 0....

Bad karma, bad luck... or just a predestination of being a failure on the matrix?

And then appears another concept: fate.
Are we predestined to be what we are? As I heard on a tv series one time.... did we have our place on earth designed before we born? Are we able to change that with our own will?
Then the "you make your own luck" comes again...

that's the "big picture" of what's going on my head lately, I hope it's clear (I'm so taking formal english classes soon). I wish we can discuss this (politely, please)

[edit on 22-11-2009 by Caggy]

You have good questions. This questions are possible because our perception is so limited to just what we see and hear. If we knew everything that was going on around us and what people were doing, we would have more control over these aspects that we attribute to "luck" or "fate".

Firstly, you can never take what someone else says as the definition of a situation. Meaning, you have to realize to yourself that when someone tells you a story, it is merely their perception of it - and that's given that they're being 100% honest.

The reason why this is important is because there are so many variables and things that go on that ARE directly and indirectly related to us and our actions. Yet, we do not perceive these usually because we're already moving on to the next event in life. A lot of the times we do forget that what goes around comes around. Unfortunately for some of us, what someone else dishes out may have to go through us before it gets back to them. We might not have been the cause, but more like a conduit for some of the bad things that happen to us.

For example, let's say a disgruntled ex-employee of a company decides to show up 2 years after his termination and start shooting at people. Well, we're sure that the tempermental idiot had a target in mind, but many people who were undeserving of that particular "karma" or "bad work" ended up suffering from it. Now, that's not to say that those particular people didn't have another "bad work" following them around that would eventually venge them, but they ended up dying unjustly because of the mad-man.

Of course, our lives are usually a little more complicated and yet a little less excited than the previous example. I would say from experience that we suffer about 33% of what we dish out, about 50% of what everyone else has to dish out (as we are conduits), and about 17% Of the things that happen I attribute to mysterious forces because, let me tell you, somethings REALLY do seem SUPERNATURALLY in favor of me or SUPERNATURALLY screwed up. I've driven on an empty tank for 200 miles before when I was broke. I couldn't possibly begin to tell you how. I can say that I spent a good portion of the drive saying to myself, "Just accept it. Don't freak out. Don't say "thank you, God" because I should have been aware, I should have money, I should have been able to fill my tank. I'm just going to really appreciate it and make sure this doesn't happen again." As far as times when things seem to have been SUPERNATURALLY screwed up, Yeah... I'm not going to get into that, but we all know how I feel.

Yes, I believe that Supernatural forces exist, but I would definitely NOT attribute most of what is happening in our world right now to these supernatural forces. We must realize that there are 7 billion people on this planet, and energy travels fast. One pissed off person could easily create a million pissed off people. One happy person, well sometimes you WOULDN'T EVEN KNOW IT BECAUSE PEOPLE RARELY EVER DO GOOD WHEN THEY ARE COMFORTABLE. That angers me. This is proof that good is a resource that is coming from somewhere supernatural, to me. Namely, GOD.

Us people are responsible for our bad circumstances, that's just the whole point.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
1 - calstorm
2 - Terces_Pot_Evoba (T/Y for the direct response BTW)
3 - TarzanBeta

All three of these are awesome responses. Definately something to think about, each of them. Seems a lot of truth is in here, and in the case of Terces_Pot_Evoba, I'll have to try this aproach..... If nothing else, it's worth a try to at least pay attention too.

& to the OP, I guess this might do little, if anything to comfort you in the fact - ur not entirely alone in this..... I do think once you find ur groove, stick to it.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I have had my share of bad luck, and not so much good luck. I am always the person who has the "next to" winning ticket number.

(1) Mainly, I have bad luck dealing with people. I tend to take people at face value, and they end up being thieves and before I realize it, they have taken tons of my stuff. In that respect, I believe I make my own luck, being gullible.
(2) I was never cutthroat enough to succeed in the work force. That is what it takes there. If you have the drive an energy to spend on making sure you have the scheme to take the other guy out, then you might be on your way to success. So, in that respect you make your own luck.

Whatever you do, take responsibility for your situation in the right here and now and decide what to do.

Usually, the supernatural things I experience are omens and usually of an event that is not good.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Thought creates =) Thats the conclusion i have come to myself. We do so in a subtle way at the moment, yet im convinced the time will come when we literally create with our thoughts. When & how, im uncertain =)

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It's my personal belief that life seems to be a game and thereby certain rules take place.

One of them could be the "Law" of Cause and Effect (explained better by the public domain book Kybalion), which karma is part of.

Seems to be like a chain. Giving the other face was Jesus advice to break the cycle of violence, in my opinion.

Sometimes people tend to see just the event and not what came before it. If we investigate accurately, we'll see that there's no such thing as something for nothing.

I also believe in blind spots. We have contact with the "elusive obvious" everyday and yet we are not aware of it.

And It's my perspective that the situation have power. Context can determine actions and reactions of people. Do you think the Abu Ghraib case happened because the guards were evil? Zimbardo have a different vision on that.

Skyfloating also pointed out to me the "Broken windows theory" which I later found out that Malcolm Gladwell wrote about in one of his books. Interesting to google.

And there's nothing wrote in stone. Free will is real. You make your own lucky.

Yes, fatalities may happen and we like to explain them because we have to make sense of the world.

One could say that the world is chaotic and the human being try to find order.

"What the thinker thinks, the prover proves." - Leonard Orr

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I'd like to post my views on this subject. Please keep an open mind, for the words i will write are from personal experience and understanding.

The concept of making our own luck is an ego based illusion. To understand this on a deeper level, one must understand all the inner workings of the mind, and the origins of thoughts. We also need to know we are multidimensional.

I have learned, with experience, that our life is a program, an astrological program, that the soul follows. You could say it's sort of a map for the experience of the soul in the physical world.

The concept of luck is part of the polarity of the human mind (lower mental body). This polarity is one of reasons for the domination of the souls, and serves as protection for the ego, because the ego needs to accumulate and integrate experiences in the 3rd density.

When consciousness is added to the equation of the human experience, the polarity within the mind dissipates. The higher the level of consciousness, the less polarity there is. When total consciousness is achieved, the polarity is non existent. It's the perfect alignment of the soul (with no karmic ties), the spirit and the purified ego.

[edit on 22-11-2009 by lagenese]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I deny luck, fate & coincidence. What I do think is that people can become more aware through meditation and focus. This increased awareness can seem to be as an increase in luck. Many people consider me to be lucky. I just realize that my awareness and intuitions flourish when I'm calm and focused. Some would say this is merely perspective, but the difference is belief. That's a pretty big difference, IMO.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Luck? Hm...confidence is more like it.

Once you truly believe in yourself, success is so many steps closer.

I am not talking about blind ignorance, and thinking your ideals are above everyone else's...I mean that you must have the confidence in yourself to realize the right in wrong in the world.

If you have the same answer as everyone else, then you are doing something wrong. Life will be much easier if you give yourself some confidence, a bit of a cocky attitude, and the ability to go out and conquer anything with the help of just YOU.

One more thing...Be wanted, don't want.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Wow, this thread was successful! I can't believe it. I supposed that it will be in the 10th page right now but no. Thanks everyone for your viewpoints.
I still don't believe in luck. And nor in making your own... because Every time I've tried to do that, It doesn't work.

@FritosBBQTwist
maybe the confidence is the key, almost on this episode.
I'm one of those people with strong personality that everyone thinks it's soooo confident and strong. But no, in the inside, my self confidence runs from zero to -10 all the time. Now that you point it... everything started to come down when 3 facts changed on my life: i started to get bad grades at college due a strong flu, i gained a lot of weight due stress and my friends cut my hair in a way I hate. And it's so short I cannot mend it.
I hate my own reflection in the mirror now, so... how it's possible i can trust myself to do something well?

excellent point, I'm gonna give you a star =)

any tips about getting out confidence high? (maybe a little OT...)

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
LUCK, KARMA, FATE?

Life happens, with, or without my awareness of it.

Given that there is a CALCULABLE probablility for any given scenario (IF all the variables are known), than it is safe to conlclude that there IS a probability for ANY given scenario, period. Our awareness and correct assignment of value to all the factors involved in drafting such a calculation, then, increases its overall liklihood of occurring.

In other words, THE MORE WE GET TO KNOW A POSSIBLE OUTCOME, THE MORE LIKELY IT WILL HAPPEN.

Life is a series of choices, and to begin with we each start out with a knowledge base of 0 relative to ourselves... One could argue past lives, intuition, blessings, and the like, but this time 'round we are born into a new time and new people/scenarios to experience; it's all new to us individually, so regardless of anothers IQ or any other currently accepted scaling matrix for potential, relative to ourselves, our experience is still 0.

The rate at which we acquire information is astonishing; at birth and in the early years of development we are growing our knowledge base with some level of focus on If-Then scenarios... In early youth, most of us are guided by REACTION to INSTANT transactions, and then ANTICIPATION of instant transactions... Our own awareness and understanding of long-term consequences then begin to shape the long-term quality of our existence.

Bear in mind of course: QUALITY OF LIFE is a vague, abstract, thoroughly subjective concept. It is RELATIVE.

One of the most important factors in development is a clear and complete coming-to-terms with what one "likes" or "dislikes". What are the experiences that have the best value over the longest period?

How do you feel?

For someone who has never truly felt connected, that person KNOWS (and has their own internal understanding of) multiple facets and factors that are associated with failure, lack of success, insecurity.

Jesus said "We speak of what we know and report what we have seen."
One duplicates what one understands.

For someone who has had an open willing mind, free of fear, given (at best) a nuturing environment and (at worst) a non-intrusive one, that person KNOWS possibilites and therefore KNOWS some measure of direct success. One of the most direct fruits of sucess is pleasure, and with it, the specific state of gratification (the specific awareness of a pleasure's source). As one receives that self-pleasuring state, and gains gratification, one begins to learn how to duplicate it. In addition, as one encounters new scenarios, (s)he is compelled to FIND, IDENTIFY AND ACT ON new ways to continue succeeding:

The compelling force manifests itself in two basic playing fields

1. The basic instinct to gain pleasure/avoid pain (subconscious)

and

2. Applied knowledge of certain factors of previous success (conscious).

People talk about vibrations, law of attraction, etc. And in my humble opinion, they are not far off from the simplest explanation. The brain is a computing device. Our general awareness allows us to be the user; our willfull involvement, the IT department. I may not have constructed this mind/body, but I have been granted the opportunity to study its language, and install programming intended to have favorable outcomes.

It is a simple question of WHEN. When a person overtly decides to inspect their own ways of processing information, (s)he is at that moment increasing their odds of generating a "better quality of life." Focus on, AND REPLICATE the actions that generate "good" results, NO MATTER HOW SMALL OR LARGE, and openly acknowledge and toss those actions that do not.

Life is the vehicle, knowledge is the fuel, YOU are the student-driver and apprentice-mechanic. Your actions determine your outcome, so WAKE UP. GOD GAVE YOU YOUR LIFE, YOUR CHOICES AND YOUR ABILITY TO BE AWARE OF THEM... WHERE would you like to go?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
I deny luck, fate & coincidence. What I do think is that people can become more aware through meditation and focus. This increased awareness can seem to be as an increase in luck. Many people consider me to be lucky. I just realize that my awareness and intuitions flourish when I'm calm and focused. Some would say this is merely perspective, but the difference is belief. That's a pretty big difference, IMO.

If you believe that you are a pawn in everyone else's games you are. Then you can blame them for everything that happens in your life.

I do believe that I am the master. Not the minion. And entities beyond my compreension may help me, only if I want them too.

That belief is powerful for me.

And then one may say that beliefs are like crackpots.

[edit on 23-11-2009 by infobrazil]

[edit on 23-11-2009 by infobrazil]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
FEAR- you experience things that you are fearing to have

Fear has a very strong energising powers. People are instinctively survivors and FEAR as a result of UNKNOWLENGE will drive people to learn to acknowledge to restore balance, therefor driving people to experience the reality of failure or whatever else they fear

I'm with the second poster- you need to acknowledge fear as a choice - it really helps a lot

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
If you where to start to be microwaved, see how much good fortune comes your way, hardly any.

You people do not know how true my above sentence is.

But on thread, i do not bother with luck in my own life, and its not something i care about, i just do what i do, and not bother with focusing on myself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join