It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK's Terrifying Anti-Piracy Plans Leak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

UK's Terrifying Anti-Piracy Plans Leak

torrentfreak.com

Tomorrow morning Lord Mandelson will present the Digital Economy Bill to the public, which among other things is aimed at reducing illicit file-sharing. According to parts of the bill that leaked today, the legislation could lead to jail terms for file-sharers and unprecedented power for the entertainment industries.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
This will allow the Secretary of State to:

*authorize jail terms for file-sharing

*compel ISPs, libraries, companies and schools to turn over personal information about Internet users, and to order those companies to disconnect users, remove websites, block URLs, etc

*ISPs could be forced to spy on their users, or to have copyright lawyers examine every piece of user-generated content before it goes live

All of that for decreasing the profit of the entertainment industry?

This better not come to the US.

torrentfreak.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day

This better not come to the US.

Ouch:
Obama Internet copyright bill a nightmare:
ignoranceisfutile.wordpress.com...

Better start arresting people using Tivo, as well as take down Netflix (Blockbuster already on its way out of business) while they at it.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Ya that kind of sucks jail for file sharing and a lot of people who download don't even share the file.

I mean its not like thier selling it, I just listen to it and whats the difference wheather its on the radio or downloaded.

I still buy cd's if thier worth the money, I mean who wants to buy a cd
for 1 or 2 songs its not worth the money.

I am kind of suprized the United States hasn't had a bill for file sharing, Japan now the UK, wonder if were next to get something like this.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I am on both sides of the fence regarding this...

If I was in the entertainment industry, of course I would want this...

But as an actual citizen, I say no because there are so many ways to get the music anyways, punishing a few to "make a point" is a ridiculous approach.

Just look at YouTube...can listen to any song you want. With many phones nowadays, you can just go online and listen to the music. Then you can also rip it.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
As a MUSICIAN, I think this is ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
As a MUSICIAN, I think this is ridiculous.

Ditto.

Selling sounds?
I could never charge for music I made. Plus, it's not like the people creating the music's ideas are 100% original anyways. They're guilty of the same thing they accuse others of.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Absolutely, positively, disgusting.

Everyone knows that the movie and gaming industries continue to grow along with piracy, which has increased substantially over the past few years.

Officials consider each single download a theft, a lost sale. It isn't physical property and no losses are made to anyone if a person who would never have bought it in the first place, however they do add something incredible to the table - Peer review; Word of Mouth.

The gaming industry has exploded, right along with piracy. A lot of honest game developing studios will say they flat-out don't care about the level of pirated games from their company, because they sell plenty and realize the vast majority of 'pirates' are just broke, or are sick of getting burned. They download, enjoy it and tell their friends to buy it. They download, completely despise it and then add their criticisms to the official reviews to increase the integrity of the industry overall.

Music, what can I say, it's trash. The industry is a joke and has been for 20 years. Anyone worth their salt will stay clear of the record industry and try to stay independent, do concerts, sell merchandise, etc. This is how it used to be and this is where we are going now.

Hollywood.. not much to say there. They can't produce a halfway decent movie, ever. Maybe once in a blue moon. Most of them suck, and hardly anybody appreciates being ripped off anymore, all thanks to paid off critics and unbelievable hype. Tough break Hollywood, maybe go phuck yourself? Independent movies are better anyway, see above paragraph.

So, we're just seeing the dying fossils section of growing industries trying to complain and enforce on old systems that do not work anymore, and cry as much as they do, the fact remains that they failed to advance with everybody else. Still, they hold all the power... unfortunately.

Just to add:
If this goes through in the UK, and other countries adopt it - Australia obviously and then the US at a close 2nd, then it will be bad. The people enforcing it, executing imprisonment sentences, ultra-fines, etc.. should all be hanged, no exceptions. Trials would be very fast as the evidence is all there. It ranks right up there with supporters of the return of "Debtor's Prison", they too, should be hanged, or excommunicated from politics forever.

[edit on 22-11-2009 by SyphonX]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Another aspect to this: if they push ahead with this ridiculous legislation, it means they'll have to have the ISP's logging / scanning every bit of email - for content - and every site we visit to make sure we are not viewing / downloading unauthorised material.

Now, didn't the government just have to abandon a similar scheme, based alegedly on anti-terrorism? This looks like a back door method to introduce the same, or even more wide ranging legislation, that has previously been abandoned.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
they will need some huge prison upgrades everyone i know as used a download or torrent at some point.
will this be back dated or will they say from now on if your caught etc

[edit on 12/6/2009 by dashar]

new topics

top topics

join