It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paper Waste...How many adds do you receive with your mail?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
This is more of a question to the members, but it does have to do with recycling and waste.

I, on average, only check my mailbox about once a week due to the fact that I do most things online.

This week, as every other week, I open my mailbox to find it completely stuffed with paper adds. Now when I say stuffed I mean, I had 3 pieces of mail and the rest of my box was stuffed so much that you couldn't fit another thing into it.

This really upsets me when I take into consideration that this is happening to probably anyone with a mail box.

I am amazed that this has never become an issue with the public.

I am curious to find out if this is a problem with others or if they find that the mail they receive contains to many adds. Perhaps it's by area. I'm not sure.

I would say the average of mail I get compared to the adds is 10% mail 90% adds.

This is unacceptable wastage.

What do you guys think? Do you receive to many adds with your mail?

Peace

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
What about all the paperwork that has to be in two languages? An instruction book is twice as thick as it needs to be. I can't tell you how many times when recieving important papers in the mail, one entire page is just for the sole purpose of saying that if you need the information in spanish...blah blah blah.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
What about all the paperwork that has to be in two languages? An instruction book is twice as thick as it needs to be. I can't tell you how many times when recieving important papers in the mail, one entire page is just for the sole purpose of saying that if you need the information in spanish...blah blah blah.

Excellent point. The amount of paper that is wasted is staggering. I just think it is so hypocritical that we have all of the Green people in our government, yet I can't even imagine how many pounds or Kilos of paper is wasted just with adds every day.

Thanks for your post.

Peace

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
You're absolutely right in the fact that the vast majority of mail the average American receives are nothing more than marketing and advertising pieces. I cannot even begin to fathom the overall impact this must have on our environment in terms of resources used and landfills overflowing as a result of this type of marketing vehicle.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

DIGG ATS

for original content more infoPaper Waste...How many adds do you receive with your mail?

Beg to differ. Grinding trees into paper is good for the environment. Left to their own devises trees get old and dry and either burn or rot - in either case they add deadly carbon to the atmosphere.

By turning pulp into paper we give humanity a chance to control where that carbon ends up. Turn it into books and put them on library shelves where they will never again bother most Americans. Or, turn it into paper circulars carried by hard working postal people to your door. Then carried away by hard working sanitation persons and then buried under ground where it will wait for thousands of years until some archeologist (possibly Gray) will dig it up and put it in a museum – again far removed from the presence of the illiterate.

Thank your lucky stars we are protected by diligent lumberman

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
You're absolutely right in the fact that the vast majority of mail the average American receives are nothing more than marketing and advertising pieces. I cannot even begin to fathom the overall impact this must have on our environment in terms of resources used and landfills overflowing as a result of this type of marketing vehicle.

Thanks Maria_stardust for your post.

I know it is something that I think about often, but don't have the time to deal with really. I've thought about going through the adds and writing every one of them to tell them to stop, but there are literally hundreds of retailers.

I know it one week as I said my mailbox is brimming. I wish I had a scale because I would really like to weigh how much I have in one week. After which I would find out how many in my county receive mail. After that I would probably want to shoot myself...lol.

SO MUCH WASTE...our poor forests.

I'm really no wise in the ecology and have never paid that much attention, till I realized all of the paper being wasted...just numbing.

Thanks again.

Peace

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by urwatu8

I can't tell if you're being satirical or not. On the off chance that you're not, I'll say this: WTF? Cutting down trees HELPS the environment? I guarantee that tree removes more carbon-dioxide from the environment in its lifetime than it releases when it dies. Carbon-dioxide that gets converted into oxygen for all of us to breathe. Or do you not like breathing? To each his own, I suppose.

[edit on 11/21/2009 by LiquidLight]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by urwatu8

DIGG ATS

for original content more infoPaper Waste...How many adds do you receive with your mail?

Beg to differ. Grinding trees into paper is good for the environment. Left to their own devises trees get old and dry and either burn or rot - in either case they add deadly carbon to the atmosphere.

By turning pulp into paper we give humanity a chance to control where that carbon ends up. Turn it into books and put them on library shelves where they will never again bother most Americans. Or, turn it into paper circulars carried by hard working postal people to your door. Then carried away by hard working sanitation persons and then buried under ground where it will wait for thousands of years until some archeologist (possibly Gray) will dig it up and put it in a museum – again far removed from the presence of the illiterate.

Thank your lucky stars we are protected by diligent lumberman

Thanks urwat8. That is a different perspective and always welcomed. I hadn't thought about the jobs it produced, yet it still seams to me that on a daily basis it is a lot of waste.

I don't know how much paper one tree makes or what kind of differnt papers that can make, but it seams to me that If I took the weekly amount just delivered to my block alone we could easily make up a trees (single tree) volume.

Thanks again.

Peace

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by urwatu8

You are smoking something.

Do you have any idea how many tons of this crap a postman has to lug around each year.

The majority of letter carriers that go out on disability are from bad backs.

They have to put on extra people just to haul it around.

The biggest waste of people and resources I have ever seen.

You are so misinformed it is pathetic.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidLight
reply to post by urwatu8

I can't tell if you're being satirical or not. On the off chance that you're not, I'll say this: WTF? Cutting down trees HELPS the environment? I guarantee that tree removes more carbon-dioxide from the environment in its lifetime than it releases when it dies. Carbon-dioxide that gets converted into oxygen for all of us to breathe. Or do you not like breathing? To each his own, I suppose.

[edit on 11/21/2009 by LiquidLight]

Hey liguid light Thanks for posting.

I'm being serious.

As I said, I'm not in any way an environmentalist nor a tree hugger, but it just seams to me that it is a lot of waist. I don't use one add that comes in the mail. Perhaps many do, I don't know, but with the internet I do most of all things online and have no need for those adds.

Perhaps you were responding to the person above you.

Either way, thanks for the post.

Peace

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by calcoastseeker
reply to post by urwatu8

You are smoking something.

Do you have any idea how many tons of this crap a postman has to lug around each year.

The majority of letter carriers that go out on disability are from bad backs.

They have to put on extra people just to haul it around.

The biggest waste of people and resources I have ever seen.

You are so misinformed it is pathetic.

My sentiments on the post office workers exactly and the waste.

I know they can't enjoy hauling that stuff, which we end up paying for in taxes. So crazy...ahh.

Thanks for your post calcoastseeker.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Warnings on toothpick boxes and bulk ad mailers point to two things about our society.

1) Their are some really dumb people in the consumption part of society.

2) Their are some really dumb people in all other aspects of society.

Yes it is a waste, but just like in the movie Fifth Element. What do you expect all of those poor postal workers to do if we actually did anything about this.

I have gone to my post office and told them to quit sending me anything that was not addressed to me, they said they could not do that.

I think next I will contact everyone I know and tell them to no longer send me any snail mail, I am removing my mail box!

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Star and flag for this post! i had one like this i wanted to start kudos n thumbs up creator
For years now, sometimes we get mail like this,a nd i had the same thought..what a shameful waste of paper..how many trees were cut down just to advertise, most throw in the garbage...
(
what ive been doing, is filling up a trash bag with any knid of paper i get..paycheck envelopes, to gum wrappers, yuo get the idea...and when it fills, i take it to our local recycling center, and empty it into the paper bin
Last time though, they got rid of it, and used an old garbage truck, and you put cardboard with paper.....before had to be seperated.
I do the same thing with carboard..pizza boxes, to cereal boxes, books,...i fill up 2 or 3 60 gallon trash containers, and take em to he cardboard bin thier... i also have a small container, for can lids* cat food lids, canned food lids, they dont want at curbside recycyling..but the local metal container at recycling center will take em..

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I wonder where the paper an cardboard goes too though, i mean, the only real concept i could come up with, is toilet paper made of recycled material.. but hey! i feel and like to think, im doing my part, so so many tres wont be cut down! they make our oxygen, absorb carbon dioxide....why should they suffer! ya know

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

I think that is literally all you can do. Stop getting mail. Only then, someone will lose there job. It's catch 22. It sucks.

On another note, I just did a post with "the fifth element" about zorgs speech on destruction and life....Weird...lol

Thanks for your post endisnighe.

Peace

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Imagine how much roomm would saved from the landfill! if many more participated! or did soemthing like how i do..if its recycable i take it

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
I wonder where the paper an cardboard goes too though, i mean, the only real concept i could come up with, is toilet paper made of recycled material.. but hey! i feel and like to think, im doing my part, so so many tres wont be cut down! they make our oxygen, absorb carbon dioxide....why should they suffer! ya know

Not to get off subject, but in the production of oxygen, wouldn't the ocean be responsible for most of the earths oxygen production?

I mean oxygen is most heavy at sea level, so wouldn't the pure oxygen be coming from the ocean and not the trees? Maybe that's another conspiracy...lol

For instance when we burn trees, we get carbon not oxygen. What makes the dissipation process any different with fire? Why wouldn't we get oxygen if we burned trees since that's what it is producing, except for the fire is feeding off of it.

Not only that, but I just remembered that water is H2O. Perhaps the coastlines have a way of replenishing oxygen by the water churning on the sand. Look at fish and how they get oxygen. They have to rake the water over there gills.

Same with the beach. Rake the water over the sand and walla...oxygen.

Sorry I keep adding to this but I just remembered something. I grew up in the mountains of Tahoe. We used to get famous fighters that would train at the high altitude of the sierras so that when they fought at a low altitude they could receive greater quantities of oxygen while fighting.

The oxygen is thus less in the forests and mountains then it is at sea level. I think trees don't do as much work at oxygen as we think, but rather in keeping the soil stable.

just some thoughts.

Thanks again,

Peace

[edit on 21-11-2009 by letthereaderunderstand]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I dunno lethereader..as far as i know nad was tought, oxygen comes from trees* unless thie wa some science news i missed out on.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   

It truly upsets me to see so many ads on paper come to my mailbox! I have called many a representative to simply tell them that they are wasting paper and killing trees for nothing! This past summer a couple of hail storms hit our area, and shortly after insurance companies and roofing companies were bombarding the mailboxes! I have request to the cable and power company to please not include any advertisements with my bills and to consider how many trees it takes to produce those wasteful ads to begin with!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
I dunno lethereader..as far as i know nad was tought, oxygen comes from trees* unless thie wa some science news i missed out on.

I don't know either, but it only makes sense.

The ocean churns all day long. Gas is always being released by it thus the foam on the water. I live in san diego, so I see the beach a lot. I mean look how abundant sea weed is and how it will have bubbles of oxygen.

We know oxygen is in the water as that is how sea animals draw air, so perhaps the air is starting from the vents and being sifted out by way of the tides from the water.

That would make sense as to why oxygen is most abundant at sea level.

We get told many things so that we will chase our tales while looking for the obvious answers in front of us. We live in a world where every thing is done in the open. The only deception is what we choose to believe. We become complacent when given everything. (ex. education)

The school of hard knocks is the only one that will teach the truth.

Just a thought...peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join