It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wobble Is Real II

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Well My first thread on this topic was, in my opinion wrongly trashed. So I did some digging for something scientific to back up my claim.

Here it is...

Geophysicist to speak in Montreal on why the Earth 'wobbles'

University of Nevada professor available to media
University of Nevada research geophysicist Geoff Blewitt will present his findings on why the Earth wobbles in a lecture, "GPS as a global sensor of systems Earth," at the 2004 Joint Assembly of the American Geophysical Union, the Canadian Geophysical Union, The Society of Exploration Geophysicists, and the Environmental and Engineering Geophysical Society, at 2:05 p.m., Thursday, May 20, Session G43C-03, room 516A, Palais des Congr�s, Montreal.

"To make the Earth wobble, large amounts of mass need to be moved from one place to another so that the Earth is "off balance," according to NASA-funded researcher Blewitt, who said the North Pole then adjusts to a new position to compensate."

"Large amounts of water are displaced seasonally when glaciers and ice sheets melt in spring, for example. The mass shifts back when they refreeze in winter. "We measured the earth's shape directly," he said. "It agrees with the wobble. What our measurements are showing is that everything is consistent - the earth is wobbling while it's changing its shape," he said."

The rest of the article...

www.eurekalert.org...

So you see, if the poles are melting at a record rate due to global warming, earth changes, what ever...Wouldn't that account for a change in where the moon should be?

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by energy_wave]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
not only that but look at all the wood,oil,coal. and people over time that has been moved around .It may sound small but over the years it could make a diff

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Well, based on what I read in the first thread, it got what it desserved. I'm really quite surprised to see Wobble II. This is one that I think will get trashed even faster than the first! But I have to give it some credence. Last night I saw the moon - right where it was supposed to be! But tonight! nothing, nothing but clouds, darkness and a little lightning.

There is no wobble. If you think there is, post the scientific data. You do know what that is, don't you? I wouldn't be so unkind however, this is "Wobble II, Unbalanced Science Raised From The Ashes Of Nothing."

[Edited on 5/20/2004 by CommonSense]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   

as quoted by energy_wave
...why the Earth 'wobbles'

From what I have found and read, it sounds as though this reads like Richard Noone's book, 5/5/2000 or John White's, Pole Shift.

Found loads of article's as to 'why':
A MYSTERY OF EARTH'S WOBBLE SOLVED: IT'S THE OCEAN
the earth's wobble

More on the 'wobble' and or Precession:
Precession
Precession

I'm not a qualified geologist or anything related to Earth or Climate sciences, but if there is too much of an ice build-up in the polar regions, North and South, then the wobble effect becomes more pronounced, while a reduction in ice build-up would reduce the wobble effect. My understanding is that the North Pole can literally melt away and not raise the world's sea levels, though cause other problems, but if the South Pole, where the most ice is built up seasonally, was to have its ice melt virtually away, the rise in sea level would be quite significant.

seekerof

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Here is a related article...

Geoff Blewitt, a geophysicist at the University of Nevada, Reno, said the discovery provides scientists with another means to determine whether Earth is undergoing global warming.Researchers have used models and global positioning system (GPS) technology for more than a decade to track the movement of water from melting ice masses, the oceans and the atmosphere that cause the Earth to bulge at its equator and the North Pole to shift slightly,...

64.233.161.104...:0fS93XShZvUJ:www.thesupernaturalworld.co.uk/+Geoff+Blewitt+&hl=en

Another...

"So instead of using models, we actually observe bulges in the Earth's shape directly and relate it to the wobble," Blewitt said.

Blewitt and his fellow researchers, Richard Gross of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and Peter Clarke and David Lavallee of the University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, have published their findings in an article published in the April 1 edition of Geophysical Research Letters."

www.space.com...

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by energy_wave

Wouldn't that account for a change in where the moon should be?

I live on the coast, the Sun, Moon, and Tides are doing just fine.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
EW,
I don't think you want to be banned! But, what you've posted, IMHO, is taking you right down the path to cyberspace oblivion. Don't go there! People can't hear you. Bad Place! Stay Away!!!!

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I read a magazine article about 4 years ago that claimed that the earth was going through a 50 year period of magma surges. If this so, then this could also account for a wobble. Sorry I don't remember the exact source but because it was in a magazine then it must exist somewhere on the internet.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense
EW,
I don't think you want to be banned! But, what you've posted, IMHO, is taking you right down the path to cyberspace oblivion. Don't go there! People can't hear you. Bad Place! Stay Away!!!!

Exactly why would I be banned? I don't see your reasoning. I have some very good post on this board. My topics bring in people for discussion. Whether it can be backed up scientificly is imaterial. It's a conspiracy board in case you haven't noticed.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Well, You've been there and down that. It's not my opinion, it's yours!

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with your other article. This wobble would have to be bloody massive to be effecting the time of moon rise by as much as 5 minutes.

Not to mention if it was something to do with the earth then the same would have happened to the time for Sunrise etc. Drop the bloody topic mate, go and buy yourself a telescope and look for yourself.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by energy_wave
Whether it can be backed up scientificly is imaterial. It's a conspiracy board in case you haven't noticed.

But if your going to bring a conspiracy up that can be PROVEN wrong by science, it's not "immaterial"...it's just ignorant.

As to why the prior thread was trashed, you claimed a conspiracy because "my buddy told me so" in the face of actual science in the SCIENCE forum. I gave it two pages and even with people providing actual proof the moon was right where it suposed to be, you still claimed the moon was not in the right location because "my buddy told me so".

The Moon's orbit around the Earth is elliptical, with a substantial eccentricity of 5.49%. In addition, the tidal effect of the Sun's gravitational field increases the eccentricity when the orbit's major axis is aligned with the Sun-Earth vector.

The mean distance to the moon, 384401 km, is the semi-major axis of its elliptical orbit. The closest perigee in the years 1750 through 2125 was 356375 km on 4th January 1912; the most distant apogee in the same period will be 406720 km on 3rd February 2125. The mean distance is not equidistant between the minimum and maximum because the Sun's gravity perturbs the orbit away from a true ellipse. Although the absolute extremes are separated by many years, almost every year has a perigee and apogee close enough to the absolute limits to be indistinguishable at this scale.

The Moon's orbit is inclined 5.145396� with regard to the ecliptic, so as seen from the centre of the Earth the Moon drifts up and down slightly more than five degrees in the course of each orbit. The Moon's orbital inclination, combined with the inclination of the Earth's axis of rotation, causes the Moon's declination, as observed from the Earth, to vary between +/-28.5� when the Moon's inclination adds to that of the Earth, and +/-18� when the two inclinations oppose one another; the maxima and minima of declination repeat every 18.6 years, the period in which the ascending node of the Moon's orbit precesses through a full circle.

SO...we can calculate and watch the placement of the moon as thousands of people do every night. Are you going to continue to claim conspiracy because your "buddy" is a merchant marine sailor who, while at sea on a ship...just thinks the moon is in the wrong place?

Kano is right...have look youself.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Why don't you provide the link Zed?

www.fourmilab.ch...

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by 29MV29]

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 03:38 AM
link   
look Earth_wave.

This Earth wobble...Yes it does exist....

BUT...and that is a big BUT...
The amount of mass changed in time sucha s 1 night...or the sucha s was being said. Like...1 degree the moon was off...then the moon was off another degr more the next night....And you can notice a difference with the moon rising late...That is total BS! The amount of mass having to be displaced over those days would be ENORMOUS! and that is NOT happening.

We all know the Earth wobbles.
But that amount that you are saying and believing..is ridiculous.

[Edited on 21-5-2004 by DaRAGE]

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 03:42 AM
link   
The moon rises 3 minutes later each day than the day before. That is why the moon is sometimes visible in the day, and sometimes it is visible at night.

[Edited on 5-21-2004 by groingrinder]

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by energy_wave My topics bring in people for discussion.
You forget you were banned for a hoax at one point. Well... staff never forgets.

d1k

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   
So what exactly are you guys arguing about. Its a known fact the earth wobbles...

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
ARE SCALAR WEAPONS MAKING THE EARTH WOBBLE ON ITS AXIS?

www.surfingtheapocalypse.net...

"....A short while after the start of US and Soviet scalar through-the-earth
transmissions, Earth�s internal dynamo was affected. In 1984 the earth was
reported as having experienced a sudden unexpected slowdown in rotation. It
had been decreasing naturally, but Scientists at the US Naval Observatory
and at the Jet Propulsion Lab found that the "earth, like an unbalanced
washing machine," has developed "wobbles as it spins." (7/15/88 Wall Street
Journal). The 7/90 OMNI Magazine reported that between January 24 to
February 3, 1990, the earth's rotation suddenly and unexpectedly slowed down
AGAIN. US Naval Observatory scientists reported that the slowdown was more
abrupt than usual. The 8/9/91 New York Times described the causes of these
unexpected sudden disruptions: "Geophysicists suspect that perturbations in
the circulation of the hot fluid metallic core contributes to the rotational
changes...The irregular rotation variations are the result of fluctuating
fluid flow in the underlying metallic core and the overlying hydrosphere and
atmosphere, and...also convection forces within earth and the movement of
crustal plates near the surface." All of which are influenced by
through-the-earth ELF vibrations. Scientists measuring ocean waves reported
that "the Atlantic Ocean is getting rougher." Measurements taken since the
1960's indicated that during the late 1970's , following the start of Soviet
and US ELF transmissions, "the waves did seem to get bigger." The 4/19/88
New York Times reported that British scientists have discovered that waves
in the northeast Atlantic Ocean "have increased more than 20 percent since
the 1960's." Ocean researchers consider this to be a "significant climatic
phenomenon.".......

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The moon is fine. Instead of looking up random vaguely related articles, go outside and have a look for yourself. I have a feeling this all started (if rooted in truth at all) because your friend was behind a hill or something when he timed the moonrise. Or something similarly ridiculous, for the reasons mentioned already.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I'm new to this place so please forgive me for being a little behind. I don't quite understand this debate (if a debate really exists). I think we all agree the earth wobbles. I have seen an article before that talked about the mass of the ice on the planet impacting the wobble. But that would have to be pure speculation. There is simply no way to prove it. Such changes would take so long none of us would be alive to see the results. Even so we wouldn't truly know what changed the wobble. Does this really even count as science?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join