It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geography of a Recession

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This is a really good display, or rather a really bad display should i say - it clearly shows the spread of 'decline' - it reminds me a little too much of bacteria growth in a petri dish...

When a problem such as this grows it follows a certain standard mechanism, 100 Joes loses their jobs and so have to start spending less - Joe now doesn't spend money with John who then also loses his job, every one hundred joe's lose John a job, every hundred johns lose simon a job and so on...

This is a slow rate of growth, the initial big problem is quickly stunted and the effect fades away - however in this situation it's more complex,

Joe has been living on credit for most of his life, he never expected to earn less than 25k but now he's stuck earning nothing or a subsistence living - he must default on his debts, now this means that when a joe goes down it only takes five or so joes to pull down a john and so on.. This creates a much quicker reaction and it passes through more steps in the chain thus hurting more people...

However when the economic state is bad enough that savings are rare, large amounts of debt common for people and companies and no one has anywhere to turn for help - in that situation it could develop to the situation that ever three joes or two joes or even maybe a one to one ratio of joes to johns exists - if this were to happen then the chain would be endless.

Of course it's important to point out that a collapse like this is really only ever going to 'blow the froth from the top' of an economy, certain vital jobs are 'safe' unless everything collapses -doctors, farmers, etc... Just how much of the US economy or western economy are 'froth'? well it's easy to argue that around 90% is; access to petrol, access to #modern# surgery methods, television, etc, etc.

We all know that the numbers wall st types carry in their briefcases are meaningless even when the economy is in good shape - the actual effect of poverty and desperation is much more real, certainly a lag between the peek of the problem and it's worst effects is going to happen. We can infer then from this great pictorial display you've provided us that we're not yet clearly at the peek of the problem and the worst is certainly still to come.

I'm reminded of my favorite proverb (i think from the Shinto tradition although it may be Taoist in origin)

"When the winds of change are blowing, some seek shelter - Others build windmills."

Rather than collapse into a funk and bemoan the impossibleness of fixing the old system we should be working to create a new one - it might be the ideal time to start providing for yourself in ways that aren't dependent on the whims of some idealistically challenged clone army of suites and dossiers.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Good info, I was just reading, in 1840 80% of the people were employed on the farm, so it appears things change.
With what I read some of the jobs will never return, but like with the changes in farm jobs there will be new jobs to replace the lost ones.
Since this is new, they are at this time unaware as to what these new jobs will be, but from what they are saying this is just part of the changes that are takeing place.
I want to get a job as a cow fart counter, something secure like methane production.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
There is a shortage of MALES in the sign language field.Seems females gravitate towards signing,but there are more deaf males.

Whenever you see a signer at a performance,it is inevitably a female.

I know a guy who gets flown all around the country to do this.Seems deaf male youths have a problem respecting female signers and they get into troubles at school and such and my friend straightens 'em right out.For what it's worth.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
We have been sold out by international corporations and most people don't know it yet. These corporations don't see themselves as "American" they have left our nation for cheap labor. This is simply another chapter in the ongoing story of worker's rights.

I sincerely hope that we American consumers punish these traitors in the only language they understand $$$$$$$$$$. Also we should revoke their licenses and repeal "corporate personhood" why let them pretend to be American...they're NOT American. I've always thought the first job to be outsourced should be CEO and executive workers. Imagine how cheap we could get a Chinese or an Indian CEO and executive workers fresh out of our best universities!!

To my young friends out there keep your spirits up and remember we have had spots like this before in our history that are still well within living memory. Take the time (while you have it) to educate yourself on the "robber barons" and the "Great Depression" and the labor movement.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Seems maybe this is a good thread to relate this story:

I entered college in fall of 1965. Walked into Economics 101 and just about the first thing out of the profs mouth went almost exactly like this "You kids are going to be hearing a lot about free world trade. Let me tell you something. Free world trade will tend to level out the standard of living worldwide. You currently enjoy the highest standard of living in the world. With free world trade YOU have nowhere to go but down!"

The old guy was correct. Free world trade (and a bunch of idiots doing trade negotiation) has destroyed our standard of living. What none of you probably understand is that you STILL enjoy one of the highest standards of living in the world!! Guess What?? YOU AIN'T SEEN NUTHIN YET!! You think you are in the basement now... HA! You better figure out how to grow your own food, and defend yourself...because the streets of America are going to get mean! Just over half of you voted for slavery..yer gonna get it.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Thanks for the animation. It looks like the US is getting smacked around pretty hard with all the black and blue on the map. It is really depressing, what makes things worse, is the MSM deceiving the public, in stating that the recession is officially over. That map shows that it is not and it is only the tip of the iceberg. I hope the people disregard the forecasts from the MSM and the government about this nightmare reaching recovery.

If they eat the garbage that is being spouted by the MSM, it would be like committing financial suicide. Right now, people need to conserve as much as possible! If you have a job, save as much as possible, because who knows how long you will have it? Stock up on goods that can be bartered: can goods, bags of rice, dehydrated food, fresh water, flour, ammo, tobacco, liquor, fuel, and other goods of worth, if and when, the dollar collapses.

Forget the talk of gold and silver as investments, when there is no market to sell those goods when everything collapses. Last I checked, man cannot subsist off gold and silver alone. Gold was seized in the past and when our leaders get desperate to prop up their failing system, once again, there will be storm troopers knocking on doors to shakedown people.

Executive Order 6102 is an Executive Order signed on April 5, 1933 by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt "forbidding the Hoarding of Gold Coin, Gold Bullion, and Gold Certificates" by U.S. citizens.

The Order required U.S. citizens to deliver on or before May 1, 1933 all but a small amount gold coin, gold bullion, and gold certificates owned by them to the Federal Reserve, in exchange for $20.67 per troy ounce. Under the Trading With the Enemy Act of October 6, 1917, as amended on March 9, 1933, violation of Executive Order 6102 was punishable by fine up to $10,000 ($166,640 if adjusted for inflation as of 2008) or up to ten years in prison, or both.

en.wikipedia.org...
www.presidency.ucsb.edu...

Stop buying the garbage! It is a waste of hard earned income. I see this as a culling of the middle class by sinister corporate oligarchs. Call it a consolidation of wealth, were the financially astute buy up everything for pennies on the dollar, and the little guy is left holding the bag and made to live a life of serfdom. This map should be a reminder to all that the storm is still raging and getting worse.

[edit on 22-11-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Thanks for this!! I never knew that was how you could differentiate between foreign and domestic products! Everyone should pass this on!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I guess a picture is worth a thousand words as they say.

In response to Jake51 and his advice. I also believe its a good thing to have a stock pile of daily needs like foodstuffs, etc. to get through any periods of instability. However, your advice on not acquiring gold and silver is dead wrong, and I'll tell you why.

Short of a miraculous economic recovery, which most of us do NOT believe is going happen anytime soon there are three possible futures, or slight variations of them:

Total Econmic Catastrophe and Chaos. In this case, I do not believe any amount of stock pile will save individuals, as the true test to survival will be localized coorperation, sharing and barter. In the words of our Forefathers - to provide for the common defense and to promote the general welfare. Folks who choose to go hide in the hills or the woods, or barricade themselves on their property are only postponing the inevitable. Human history shows that we thrive only in a society, not as lone individuals cowering in the wild or behind castle walls.

Severe and Prolonged Economic Depression. In this case, we experience something like the Great Depression, only deeper or longer or both. While some truly did not have enough to eat or places to stay, even at 25%+ umemployment - most did. And in fact, while vast multitudes lived deprived, many people made fortunes (albeit on off the misery of others), by buying up devalued land, starting business ventures with cheap labor, and acquiring material possesions at rock bottom prices. The people that did this had one thing that many did not - savings. One's savings went much farther then. So again, those that prepare for a Mad Max scenario could perhaps find work as 'private' security guards, or form armed gangs to rob honest folk, but really won't be that much better off than those that have taken a less drastic path.

Continued Status Quo -or the Great Recession continued. In this case, the US and the world pretty much continue like it has been for the last couple years, with short economic rallies and falls, sometimes easing unemployment and sometimes making it worse. However, in this case, while we may have localized riots, we do not have a collapse of the social order or dissolution of all governments. The best strategy here is to prepare oneself for periods of unemployment or temporary local emergencies and item shortages.

In each of these cases, I believe that there is one common denomenator, and that is a continued reliance on governments to throw money at the problems. That money is currently the US dollar. As we have seen, as we print more money to fund more 'cures', one thing inevitably happens, and that is dollar devaluation compared to other currencies (unless they are doing the same thing at a higher rate) and to GOLD. Ten years ago our national debt was less than half what it is today: national debt table

Likewise Gold's value was much less, about a quarter of what it is today:
Gold Price 2000-2009

While some of the reason for Gold's rise in value is due to increased deamand from investors like me, who feel it represents an alternative form of savings, the vast majority of its rise is actually due to the devaluaion of the dollar during that time period. It is a fact that from 1789-1933, while the dollar was backed by gold, that it NEVER devalued, except for a short period during the Civil War when the US printed dollars not backed by gold (the first greenbacks).

So, in summary, while I do not know which path above the US may eventually take, I do know (with over 2000 years of history on my side) that GOLD will still have value when its done. And for the record, I personally think the only path out of this mess, is for the world to return to a Gold Standard of some sort.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Sashromi

Based upon your post, I have a feeling you would like this other thread of mine:

The Gold Bubble and Wiemar-style Trillion-percent Inflation.

These are perilous times...

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Dave157

What this video doesn't reflect is the amount of people who have lost their job and are employed only part time or have a much lower paying job. Thats where the true information lies.
Yes this is something WE did, we can't blame big brother for this. We are a consumer nation, we have to have the nicest cars and just put it on the card.
Hopefully this will change, quickly!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by loam

.. now that Christmas has arrived we will see what shape this country is in after a years worth of soothing lies.

The retail sector's survival relies on this holiday season. If people don't buy gifts for the holidays, next year will be very, very bad for all sectors of the economy. The shat will hit the fan by the end of the first quarter 2010, around the end of March.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Excellent words of wisdom

But, don't panic. Only worry about learning how to live off the grid if you have to. Because if you don't, you will be forced to do whatever the gov't tells you.

Once the "system" has it's claws hooked into you - you're at their mercy.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Another good post.

The jobs being lost are now hitting the "white collar" folk, middle class America.

Personally I think there's a real agenda besides a select few making $$$ I think it's how the NWO is going to control the common people.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by UnlawfullPriest

You are right Priest, not having to report the under or temporarily employed helps keep numbers down and spread the illusion things are "getting better'.

Before you know it, most Americans are going to be unemployed or non employed and living like we saw people in third world countries did twenty years ago.

One advantage many young people don't realize we older ones have, is we have the advantage of having lived many more decades and history books as you know don't always report what really happened.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
I can't find A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I'm 18 - graduated high school last may.

I applied at all the fast food and walmart types of stores. NO one will hire me.

I have tons of friends that are in the same situation.. What is the future for youths like me?

[edit on 11/21/2009 by mnmcandiez]

My suggetsion, go to a tech school for comp networking/administration or college for engineering, those jobs are still being offered at some top companies by yahoo news today. Here's the LINK,And right now there are tons of financial aid being given, And live at home with mom and pop until you finish, this will help you get a better chance in the competitiveness of the job market now.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

There is a shortage of MALE deaf signers.Plenty of females,but for some reason not many men.Paradoxically,there are more deaf males.It's a natural.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Your replies are always very intelligent and humane...............on line is good believe it or not.

My youngest son got his GED through Phoenix and in looking at the books, the material he got (it was expensive) he received a better education than my other two that went to Conant, Schaumburg, IL which is rated a highly respected high school.

Yes I'm naming names because I have nothing to hide and am telling the truth.

I poured through all my sons books and materials...........and Phoenix on line by far had way better material than Conant High School.

My own opinion.

Now, my youngest son is a high functioning autistic but above average in intelligence.

They threw him into a classroom of really "nutty, crazy, uncontrollable" (his own words) kids that didn't want or couldn't learn.

My son now approaching 30 is very well read, even went back to college on-line and minus all the partying, head games and social frap..............he has chalked up some pretty good credits.

Good luck.

Knowledge is power.

But most of what we are taught in school is our "false history" and "out dated" science as what we really have (in secret) vs what the mainstream media says we have (like NASA, etc) are two different animals.

Again, best of luck to you mnmcandiez!

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

I have a niece that graduated from Duke University and another from Sorbonne University (Paris, France) and they both had problems getting jobs. Finally because of "connections" and "networking" they got jobs and they make less than I did before my job was outsourced to India a year and a half ago.

Why such high unemployment rate?

Read "Hostile Takeover" by David Sirota.

Our government does not have our best interest at heart.

Our Constitution is now "For the large corporations and banks and by the large corporations and banks". For The People and By the People is an illusion.

Until our government climbs out of the beds of Corporate America and the Banksters, this tyranny will continue and only get worse.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join