It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geography of a Recession

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Geography of a Recession

A depressing video...

*sigh*

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

wait another year and it will be much much worse.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Dave157

You are very likely correct.

We've driven this puppy right off the cliff, haven't we?

:shk:

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

A depressing video...

Yes indeed. To me here in Michigan, it's kinda weird to see that the whole country is feeling what we have had here for a much longer time. I had thought it was better down South.

Bad thing is the jobs that went away, for the most part, are NOT coming back.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I can't find A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I'm 18 - graduated high school last may.

I applied at all the fast food and walmart types of stores. NO one will hire me.

I have tons of friends that are in the same situation.. What is the future for youths like me?

[edit on 11/21/2009 by mnmcandiez]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Meh, I'm 24. I was going to join the navy but I broke my leg and still mending a little bit but otherwise its fine --- Applied for unemployment almost a month ago. No real job outlook so I guess its back to finish up college... but then again; i just think its because I am in a bad demographic if I want a chance for any sort of job rather than what is local... i need to relocate eventually. Until then, we just need to hold on tight cause... yeah... I don't know what to do much either, just kill some time in college and graduate.. then worry about it again....? meh...

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Choiseul

Yeah same here. I start community college in January. But THANK god for online classes because I don't have gas money to get there!

[edit on 11/21/2009 by mnmcandiez]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
The video is kind of like seeing a corpse rot before my eyes.

It is unbelievable how a land with so much natural wealth can just wither.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Dropped out of high school on my 18th birthday because I said I knew it all. Got a job at Pizza Hut the day after my birthday. The store I was working at closed the weekend before Christmas. I have been unemplyed for the past two years. I went out and got the GED and passed in the top 2%, still unable to find a job.

I feel like such a loser being unable to support myself.
I

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
hey, by that video, it looks like the middle part of the country is doing okay, let's all flock there, it looks as though they haven't been effected much.....
of course, once we all get there, they will be affected, but, well.....
there's jobs in the country's breadbasket! let's have a race to get them!!!

ya, I'm being a sarcastic little witch this morning.....
but well, those who say for us to move to where the jobs are, aren't they wishing that on the few states that are holding their own?

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Originally posted by loam

A depressing video...

Yes indeed. To me here in Michigan, it's kinda weird to see that the whole country is feeling what we have had here for a much longer time. I had thought it was better down South.

Bad thing is the jobs that went away, for the most part, are NOT coming back.

Here not far from Massena NY, we watched GM leave just like it did in Flint Michigan. Now 2/5 of the houses in my county are for sale at prices that only people in the medical or legal field can afford since there isn't much else here that pays well enough. I have friends and neighbors that work 2 & 3 jobs and still cant afford to live which is not hard to understand when those 2 & 3 jobs they were 'lucky enough' to get all pay minimum wage or only offer a handful of hours a week. I would wager that those that have a salaried or hourly job that pays better then most are those that gripe about people who don't have a job. They figure 'I have a good job...why doesn't everyone else'? They never had to try and make ends meet with 2&3 crappy paying jobs with barely enough hours to pay for the gas it takes to get there and back. But oh the bliss of ignorance...

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
It seems that the only job there is is in the services. But now they are picky about who they take in. If you can get in then stay until the economy picks up. Don't forget to get training into what you want to get in the future. Thats the advise I keep on hearing.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ch1ldofthe70s

Nice to see some fellow NNY'ers.

Im from ST. Law county, and im in the same situation. Ive decided to go back to school as there not a single job where I am. The biggest employer in our town, A mine, employed between 300-400 men, who all made good wages 25$+ an hour. The mine closed down a year ago, and this town has gotten a lot uglier because of it.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Dave157

Quoted material from the website below:

www.180people.com...

Help our country by purchasing made in the USA goods. Many times they are cheaper than the foreign good you are buying. Our country is in trouble. Do you want to be part of the problem or part of the solution?

This may be useful to know when grocery shopping, if it's a concern to you:

•The whole world is afraid of China-made "black hearted goods"

•Can you differentiate which one is made in Taiwan or China ?

•If the first 3 digits of the barcode are 690, 691 or 692, the product is MADE IN CHINA.

•471 is Made in Taiwan

This is our right to know, but the government and related departments never educate the public, therefore we have to RESCUE ourselves.

Nowadays, Chinese businessmen know that consumers do not prefer products "MADE IN CHINA ", so they don't show from which country it is made. However, you may now refer to the barcode, remember if the first 3 digits are:

•690-692 … MADE IN CHINA
•00-09 … USA & CANADA
•30-37 … FRANCE
•40-44 … GERMANY
•47 ... TAIWAN
•49 … JAPAN
•50 … UK
•BUY USA by watching for "0" at the beginning of the number.
•We need every boost we can get!
In our current economic situation, every little thing we buy or do affects someone else and perhaps even their job.

Hershey's candy is made in Mexico. Colgate is made in Mexico now. You have to read the labels on everything.

Another example GE light bulbs 60W vs. Kroger Everyday Value brand. The GE light bulbs are more expensive and made in MEXICO. The Everyday Value brand is made in Cleveland, Ohio and cheaper .

Throw out the myth that you cannot find products you use every day that are made right here in the USA.

Bounce Dryer Sheets....yep, you guessed it, Bounce costs more money and is made in Canada. The Kroger Everyday Value brand was less money and MADE IN THE USA!

Here is a challenge: start reading the labels when you shop for everyday things and see what you can find that is made in the USA – the job you save may be your own or your neighbors!

If you accept the challenge, pass this on to others in your address book so we can all start buying American, one light bulb at a time! Stop buying from China ...........and save U.S. jobs.

We should have awakened to this a decade ago!

Ten years ago my husband and I were walking into Walmart to look at buying some clothes. There were workers outside holding signs that said "Buy American". This did not affect me so I ended up buying a shirt made in China for 13.00 vs an American shirt for 30.00

In April of 2009 I was told that my job of a 15 years at Gallagher Bassett, was being "outsourced" to "Team India" in Mumbai. We are in the process of spoon feeding these folks (and good luck with your Workers Comp Claims because if you thought American Adjusters were heartless - look out, you ain't seen nothing yet).

Point: If someone else is being screwed with and it doesn't affect YOU then we have a tendency to say, "that's too bad" and look the other way.

But, what most people don't realize is that if we all keep allowing the other guy to get messed with, eventually it is going to affect all of us and eventually we all are going to get screwed with. "It won't happen to me", "I'm untouchable" - keep saying that to yourself.

I did.

Read my location. If you are an American, you and your government are owned by Corporate America. Our laws, our very government itself is run by the corporations and for the corporations.

Almost all of our politicians and law makers have been bribed (ie: campaign contributions) by the large corporations.

Illegal immigration is tearing this country apart. The U.S Senate has very recently passed a bill granting social security to illegal aliens. A petition is circulating concerning concerning a veto by President Obama. This proposal just adds fuel to the flames since the health care bill also grants coverage for illegal aliens.

This country is falling apart financially giving away all these benefits and having illegals take jobs that once full-fledged American citizens were paid for to support their families. The quality of work is going down and the language barrier is a whole other issue. It is a common joke about not being able to place an order at fast food restaurants such as McDonalds. The communication issues are laughable and frustrating.

"Open-minded" liberal politicians are destroying this country. It is not the United States responsibility to be the the Welcome Wagon for the rest of the world and to have our taxpayers supporting every nationality who are not here legally. Sorry...it is realistically not feasible. This is flushing the public dollars down the toilet and the citizens with it.

McDonald's knows it can pay Mr. Gonzales barely minimum wage.

The money is all going to the top few. With each passing year, the pie is being sliced unequally. The crumbs that are left by the "kings/CEO'S/Owners/the haves and have mores" are thrown off the table and the dogs (the common man) is watched in amusement while he scrambles and fights for those last few crumbs.

The average American has become docile and complient, not knowing what to do, not caring.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I get the chills down my spine when I watch that animation.

Not do I only feel for the unemployed masses, but I fear what will come out of it.

Please, do not let some extremist government come to rule, and don't let your disbelief and dispair make you violent and hateful.
This happens all the time and has happened all over again throughout history...

The times are dark, but this is just dusk. Night is still to follow.

Please, stay strong.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
do you know what is even scarier... the government is actively employing people right and left for what???? didn't the Nazis do the same thing??? history is repeating itself as we speak. I am pretty sure our own neighbor will be our arch enemy.. the government doesn't need to babysit us, our own brothers and sisters will be blinded by employment and health benefits and turn those of us who know the truth in - we will be labeled as "terrorists" (control word #1).

www.unitedgovernmentcareers.org...[/url]

www.citizencorps.gov...[/url]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
In all my life, I have never seen America as screwed up as it is now. It is so difficult to find anything made in the USA. Most of our jobs have been sent to other countries because of cheap labor. With cheap labor from illegal immigrants right here in America, citizens are getting left behind in the dust once again. What we are creating here is a poor nation. Trillions of dollars in debt and climbing.

For our youth and older citizens, finding a job has become a nightmare. Hell, even those in the middle are finding it difficult. Those who are fortunate to have a job, have had their hours cut, or their wages cut, or they are working more hours for the same or less money. I'll tell ya, they will get us any way they can.

Notice that with the same food you have been buying, you are getting less in the package for the same or increased price?

And the cost of healthcare while un-employed is insane!!!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Oh my. It looks like the countrty is choking and turning purples and blues.
And it spreads like a plague, devouring county after county and state after state. The only white spot I could find at the end is Slope County, ND. I'd give it a few more years and the red spots on the east coast will be purple, along witht the rest of the country.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Great thread! This is what ATS is all about. REAL ISSUES.

Originally posted by Night Star
Notice that with the same food you have been buying, you are getting less in the package for the same or increased price?

Did anyone notice when the price of gas went up...the cost of food went up and the packaging size went down?

Now the cost of gas has settled (a little) and the packaging stayed the same.

There's a good thread starter.

People...listen. It's all too obvious whats going on. Anyone who denies it is stuck in the sand. It's just a matter of time before SHTF. Seriously.

But, don't panic. Only worry about learning how to live off the grid if you have to. Because if you don't, you will be forced to do whatever the gov't tells you.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I know in Oregon they have "Technically" ended the recession ..... even though we are in the top 5 states of unemployment. "Jobless recovery" they are calling it.. and with it they decided new taxes would help create more jobs. Which, from my understanding on Economics, which I like to think is pretty concrete, I am utterly flamuxed as to how that's possible.

What's especially fascinating (in a morbid sense) is the speed in which jobs were lost.. we went from 4.6 to now over 10 in a very short amount of time.. And one has to wonder how its possible to get out of this recession .. technically speaking we are not producing anything new, and many industries died or else fled the country. I ask, what is going to replace those jobs? Green jobs? Please..

So whether we pay attention to the Media pundants screaming the recession is over.. life for many millions of people is going to remain hellish for many years to come. And why should we listen to those self important economist and their predictions, their estimations, their decrees of technicalities.. these are the same asshats that failed to see the recession coming. The same asshats that said everything would be fine, that our economy was "sound" that a financial collapse was impossible. We listen to them now? Screw them, recession is perception, and this recession is a long ways from over.. now that Christmas has arrived we will see what shape this country is in after a years worth of soothing lies.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join