It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep Hole Spotted on Moon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Analysis of high-resolution images taken by a moon-orbiting probe suggest that the 65-meter-wide, nearly circular feature is between 80 and 88 meters deep, says Carolyn H. van der Bogert, a planetary geologist at Westphalian Wilhelm’s University Münster in Germany. Typical impact craters of this size, she notes, are less than 15 meters deep.

I'm sure some of you must be biting at the bit to speculate on this.

www.sciencenews.org...

[edit on 21-11-2009 by 12GaugePermissionSlip]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
wow, i guess it was a cave (could there be caves on the moon?) that was hit by a meteorite then..

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Would they really point it out if it were anything juicy? Usually when things like this come up, they offer an explanation AFTER being bombarded with theories about what it could be.

Further, usually the explanation comes AFTER it's been found and discussed thoroughly on ATS.

Their explanation seems plausible -- but then wouldn't they follow-up with some sort of probe in order to remove soil samples from down in the hole in order to analyze it? I kind of figure that if they throw this explanation out there, and then it is never mentioned again, it's probably a false answer.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627

Their explanation seems plausible -- but then wouldn't they follow-up with some sort of probe in order to remove soil samples from down in the hole in order to analyze it?

Those aren't exactly cheap...

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I say we pour some gas down the hole, light it up and see what crawls out.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
So thats where most of Congress' brains went!

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

high-resolution images

That's what they're calling this cheese?

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
It looks 'too black' to be the shadow in a hole. It looks like it was added in later with an image program. It even has a highlight on the left side like all the other mounds that are in the picture.

Such low resolution you can't really tell what it is.

[edit on 21/11/09 by dmorgan]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I was afraid this was going to be a picture of Uranus. That would have been disturbing and I am glad it wasn't.

thanks

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by debunky

Originally posted by lpowell0627

Their explanation seems plausible -- but then wouldn't they follow-up with some sort of probe in order to remove soil samples from down in the hole in order to analyze it?

Those aren't exactly cheap...

Neither is Afganistan.
Money has yet to be a factor in what the government does and does not do.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Did i hear on Coast to coast there is a vapor plume coming out of one of these holes that appears to be 1000 feet tall?

Anyone catch that show? i was half asleep- they said the moon was a machine possibly

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Hmmm.

I doesn't say where the feature it is and referes to "a moon-orbiting probe". I'm guessing they are talking about the current LRO mission, but who knows if this is an old LO photo or not.

The area looks tsiolkovsky-ish to me. Hard to say with such limited information though.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Did i hear on Coast to coast there is a vapor plume coming out of one of these holes that appears to be 1000 feet tall?

Anyone catch that show? i was half asleep- they said the moon was a machine possibly

Its the DEATH STAR!!!!!

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

Originally posted by Romanian
wow, i guess it was a cave (could there be caves on the moon?) that was hit by a meteorite then..

.. well,

[..] scientists say, the unusually proportioned feature is most likely a portal into an underground cavern that once held flowing lava.

from the article in the OP: www.sciencenews.org...

.. so, yes, there could be caves on the moon, sort of.

And for maximum ease:

The feature is likely what geologists refer to as a skylight, or collapsed portion of the roof of an underground tube that once held flowing lava, van der Bogert and her colleagues propose. If that’s true, the skylight is the first such portal spotted on the moon.

from the same article.

So you're pretty much exactly right, if the scientists' theory is.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
So...Hugh Hefner has a secret "love cave" on the moon as well?

Wasn't there something like this on Mars as well?
I remember seeing a pretty good picture of it a few months ago.
But have never manage to find that picture again.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

The image is from Kaguya.
It is probably the best defined image but not the first of suspected lava tube skylights.
lpod.wikispaces.com...

Cruikshank

[edit on 11/21/2009 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

You are required to maneuver straight down this trench and skim the surface to this point. The target area is only two meters wide. It's a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port. The shaft leads directly to the reactor system. A precise hit will start a chain reaction which should destroy the station. Only a precise hit will set off a chain reaction. The shaft is ray-shielded, so you'll have to use proton torpedoes.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
That hole is where the Selenites had their Solar lense - to focus Sun light onto their crystal sphere below, for power. The lense was broken out when Joseph Cavor's Cavorite sphere-ship broke through it, to return to Earth. I guess the Selenites never repaired it.

First Men in the Moon (1964 film)
en.wikipedia.org...
and...
www.imdb.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

That's funny. lol
But it usually works!

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Maybe thats the real results from the LCROSS Lunar Impact mission....
and they just want to show off

top topics

<<   2 >>

join