Museum: Galileo's fingers, tooth are found

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Museum: Galileo's fingers, tooth are found

www.physorg.com

Two fingers and a tooth removed from Galileo Galilei's corpse in a Florentine basilica in the 18th century and given up for lost have been found again and will soon be put on display, an Italian museum director said Friday.

Three fingers, a vertebra and a tooth were removed from the astronomer's body by admirers in 1737, 95 years after his death, as his corpse was being moved from a storage place to a monumental tomb - opposite that of Michelangelo, in Santa Croce Basilica in Florence.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I don't know why but I find this interesting!

Maybe my morbid side is coming out.

He was such a great man whose ideas and theories were far ahead of his time. He also managed to annoy the Vatican which is an achievement in itself!

I also love the idea of a family heirloom, passed from generation to generation, without realising that they had the severed finger of one of history's most brilliant men!

Anyway, apologies if you don't find this interesting as I do!

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Galileo was a great man, story is interesting. I just fail to understand why his admirers needed to take out his body parts from the grave. There are a lot of people i respect, but the last thing i would do is go up and take their body parts.
This is not sign of adoration , rather the opposite. I understand buying his manuscripts, even personal belongings. Not disassemble his body like a lego parts. Now it is done for DNA, in 1737 it was a weird thing to do.
In my opinion.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Galileo was a great man, story is interesting. I just fail to understand why his admirers needed to take out his body parts from the grave. There are a lot of people i respect, but the last thing i would do is go up and take their body parts.
This is not sign of adoration , rather the opposite. I understand buying his manuscripts, even personal belongings. Not disassemble his body like a lego parts. Now it is done for DNA, in 1737 it was a weird thing to do.
In my opinion.

I agree, I was going to add something like that!

I suppose it was done in the same vein as religious relics which were extremely common in the past.

I guess we'll never know why they did it!

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I must be morbid as well because i gave you a S/F.I find the story fascinating also.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09
I must be morbid as well because i gave you a S/F.I find the story fascinating also.

Cheers!

Thank goodness, I had a horrible feeling I'd be the only one!

That finger belonged to the man who put forth the notion of gravity and the solar system, how cool is that??

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Galileo was a great man, story is interesting. I just fail to understand why his admirers needed to take out his body parts from the grave.

Who knows why
Some grave diggers on a quest for knowledge dug the corpse of Nostradamus up and drank wine from the skull of Nostradamus's skull like it was a wine glass.

He did this because he believed he would gain all of Nostradamus's knowledge, Nostradamus predicted this event as well.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I suspect the reason they did this is because in Galileo's time, it was common to take the body parts of saints. There are many churches in Europe where some part of a saint - bones, whatever - are kept and venerated. I suppose the custom was carried out for Saint Galileo as well.

I can understand why someone would do this way back when they did. What I don't understand is why the museum is displaying these morbid relics. There is nothing educational about viewing the bones of a dead scientist. We learn nothing, other than it's OK to desecrate corpses.

new topics
top topics

join