It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For ETs home look no further than......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Ok so it may not be flying around in space ships but Europa has got to be the most likely home for Extra-terrestrial life that we dont need a microscope to see .
I have no doubt that life in the form of microbes is scattered throughout our Solar System , but if we want to find Extra-terrestrial life we can point a finger at then Europa is that place.

Europa: Ridges and Rafts on a Frozen Moon

New evidence has come to light that the vast, ice-encrusted oceans of Europa may be harboring Earth-like life that lives on the oxygen-rich waters. Time to plan your extraterrestrial fishing trip? Maybe. Apparently, the oceans of Europa are fed with more than 100 times more oxygen than previous models suggested. According to National Geographic:

That amount of oxygen would be enough to support more than just microscopic life-forms: At least three million tons of fishlike creatures could theoretically live and breathe on Europa, said study author Richard Greenberg of the University of Arizona in Tucson. "There's nothing saying there is life there now," said Greenberg, who presented his work last month at a meeting of the American Astronomical Society's Division for Planetary Sciences. "But we do know there are the physical conditions to support it." In fact, based on what we know about the Jovian moon, parts of Europa's seafloor should greatly resemble the environments around Earth's deep-ocean hydrothermal vents, said deep-sea molecular ecologist Timothy Shank. "I'd be shocked if no life existed on Europa," said Shank, of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.

io9.com...

We all know the implications that finding animal life on Europa , the evidence is compelling , so why aren't we there .
Nasa and ESA must have at least had an idea of this years ago , so why spend all their time and effort sending mission after mission to Mars , can it only be that sending missions to Mars is so much easier in comparison and they are not ready to announce the existence of Extra-terrestrial animal life in our own back yard , with all the implications that will have on the chances of intelligent ET existence .

[edit on 21-11-2009 by gortex]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure Europa is on the "to-do" list, I don't think it is being ignored or anything. It just may be that their priority for the moment is setting up a lunar base now that we know it has water. I'm sure that Europa is just as important to NASA as Mars is, but I'm sure Mars is placed above Europa on the list just because of simple proximity.

I wonder what Europanese life would look like. Similar enough to classify them as amphibian, reptile, etc? Or maybe too unique to even fit in our current taxonomical kingdoms. That would sure be mind blowing!

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Almost certainly it's on the list of things to do...places to be...etc...

Isn't there a mission in the planning stages? Could have sworn I heard about one...

Ah, yes... This ought to give at least a broad overview of the planned mission...

Europa Mission

Europa could, and probably will, change everything we thought we knew about life, and how it formed... Or something like that...

It'll sure be interesting, that much I know.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

I wonder what Europanese life would look like. Similar enough to classify them as amphibian, reptile, etc? Or maybe too unique to even fit in our current taxonomical kingdoms.

I think its highly likely they will have gills and fins and we would recognize then as amphibians , maybe some Europanese fully aquatic Whales and Dolphins ,we are told there are Human looking ETs so maybe DNA has a set plan that is replicated Universally , the only variant is local conditions

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

That is purely conjecture. The life, if any, could be unrecognizable as such... We simply do not know. To go into this with anything like a preconceived notion of what we'll find, leaves us open to missing important clues.

We don't know. We're going to Europa to find out. Those are the only two sentences that can be said to be factual. Everything else? Conjecture. Fun, 'tis true, but conjecture nonetheless.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I have to agree with seagull, here...because, gortex:

I think its highly likely they will have gills and fins and we would recognize then as amphibians...

Stop and ponder for a bit the varieties of life just on our own planet. Without even taking into account all of the many, many past exotic lifeforms, just picture the current ones. Incredible amount of diversity, and when you look even deeper (pun!) into the aquatic realm, there are things there that are stuff of horror movies, sometimes.

Your notion of the possibility of DNA similarities is valid, as a possible hypothesis. One of many hypotheses, though. There is a term for it, the thinking that the impetus for the chemical formation of the earliest amino acids and other chemicals that rose into life might have been extraterrestrial in origin (comets, etc), having arisen in other star systems.

But, that, while plausible, is just conjecture. Many other ideas are bandied about as well.....

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I was just speculating on what may be and putting forward my theory that the code within DNA runs to specific rules , altered only by the environment the DNA finds itself in , thus leading to the possibility that when our Governments finally stop spending Billions / Trillions on new ways of killing people and get there heads around actually exploring space the inhabitants of the planets we find might not be that Alien to us , not exact copies but not totally unrecognizable .

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I know, that's what's fun about this sort of stuff. You can't possibly be wrong...and you may be right, who knows?

Personally, I think life, if any, that's larger than microbial, is going to be wonderfully, delightfully weird. The lack of gravity, the lack of light, the tidal surges from Jupiter...God alone knows what we'll find.

It's gonna be fun, whatever we find.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
.... could be life there Jim , but not as we know it .

... probably only microscopic . geothermal activity unlikely .subzero

environment , thick salty slush under ice , may yield basic plant and

animal forms .

new topics

top topics

join