It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dialysis Unit Closing Hits Illegal Immigrants Hard

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Dialysis Unit Closing Hits Illegal Immigrants Hard

www.nytimes.com

Some knew before the crossing that they had diabetes or lupus or high blood pressure, but it was only after they arrived that their kidneys began to fail. To survive, they needed dialysis at a cost of about $50,000 a year

And so they turned to Grady, a taxpayer-supported safety-net hospital that would provide dialysis to anyone in need, even illegal immigrants with no insurance or ability to pay.

strapped public hospital closed its outpatient dialysis clinic, leaving 51 patients — almost a
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
This is a very difficult topic to discuss for those with an intelligent mind and a beating human heart, I realize that not everyone falls into that category.

They are illegal immigrants, yes I realize that.
But they are still human beings.

My father is under dialysis, we don't pay anything either as it's covered under medicare. I dont' even want to go so far as think how long he would last if he had lost access to dialysis everyday.

That is literally leaving them out to die.

And for those that think it's not a hard decision becuase they are illegals than I think you very much forgot why the entire globe once loved America... long long ago.

It used to always be about giving a helping hand.
But because of mass coruption to unprecidented levels it's become hard enough to give yourself a helping hand let alone others.

Still just leaving these people out to die is pretty unimaginable.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I understand the predicament here. Its a tough highwire act. Its makes me sad to see people die, but then it also makes me sad as an American to see illegal immigrants getting more health care than its own citizens.

I have a close associate who has a significant other that has cancer, and their insurance won't cover the surgery. Its sad to see either way, and I don't like to take sides at all but dang...

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Yeah,
It's hard to get choked up over it when tax paying citizens who's hard work and effort paid for that free dialysis can't get their own problems taken care of because they can't afford them.

Next, of course , will come the crocodile tears about healthcare.

Just thought I'd get the agenda rolling.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I'll try and be as delicate as possible about this.

Now thanks to illegal immigrants sapping the system Americans are going to die because they are too poor to go to a regular hospital for their dialysis.

So while it's noble to care for the sick that can't pay, shouldn't we take care of our own first?

I can understand the plight they are going through, and it's difficult to say that someone should die over another but then again with 6 billion people on the planet we aren't an endangered species. In nature the sick die.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
If the U.S. didn't have a corrupt govt. helping these people wouldn't be much of a task.

As far as responsibility goes, shall we start discussing america's involvement with Latin America?

I'm just saying, a little devil's advocate is always good

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

According to a report from the New York Times- Grady has faced financial shortages for 10 out of the past 11 years. This report revealed that Grady requires over $360 million dollars for replacement of old machinery and medical equipment. Along with struggling for funds to purchase new medical equipment there is a challenge to attract new physicians and residents to the hospital. Local Grady doctors come from nearby Morehouse School of Medicine and Emory School of Medicine. However, The New York Times Report highlighted that over $70 million dollars is owed to these schools.

www.associatedcontent.com...

Seems Grady has been in a financial mess for quite some time and they are just now trying to find a way out of it.

As far as responsibility goes, shall we start discussing america's involvement with Latin America?

Not much to talk about unless you want to talk about how the US has used Latin America as a stepping stone. When it comes to the US, Latin America is just a bunch of freaking unwanted step kids.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Wait, wait wait! How is your husband covered by medicare for dialysis? I had dialysis. I was "covered" for 6 months. After that I was required to pay 1400 dollars a month, even though I only got 700 dollars a month And it bankrupted me within 6 months/ The 6 months was just a pity payment. Heh. So how do foreigners get this care, while, I, a tax paying contributor get threatened with loss of care? Lucky for me I had a living donor.

Lucky for me that in 1971 the federal government decided to cover citizens of this country for dialysis, based upon the numbes of black people that suffered kidney failure. "Equal rights" for those folks helped to give me some relief in the system. White boy dies of kidney failure. Too bad. Black boy dies of kidney failure, Oh, we gotta do something!!

Meanwhile, it's a boondoggle. Good for the care providers, the recipents, oh well.

The more you have, the more that is taken away, If you have nothing, you still got nothing. The great equalizer. Kidney failure, oh well, you all got nothing, If you gain something, it will be taken away.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
It is a shame that anyone should go without proper medical care, but it is the illegal immigrant's own country that failed them first.

I wouldn't mind my tax dollars going to people who need it, but my husband and I will have to find medical coverage when our cobra runs out. Good luck to us because we both have pre-existing conditions. My husband has been in and out of hospitals and is diabetic.

There are so many people who cannot afford neccesities, yet their tax dollars are paying for others to have care. So many hospitals have closed due to people who cannot afford to pay their medical bills. Things will get a lot worse before they get any better for anyone.

You see, sadly, legal citizens are falling through the cracks while illegals are getting the care they need. So if it comes to my family or an illegal's family getting care, which do you think I'll choose? If things were easy, we wouldn't have a problem. For Americans to have to watch their citizens scrape and struggle and still arn't getting their basic needs met, yet illegal's get free health care and much more, it is an insult and a shame. This is not the same America of many years ago. At one time we could afford to have many immigrants, now we cannot. We are trillions of dollars in debt and have millions of people un-employed.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   

I have a terrific solution to this problem. Have the liberal groups who are jamming the illegals down our throats pass the hat and set up a center on the other side of the Rio Grande.

It is awful that sick folks are not getting the treatment they need. Keep in mind that a number of them come here when they are sick to get the treatment rather than come here and get sick and therefore need the treatment.

Another way to look at this is to look into the hospitals in southern AZ and TX which have had to close because of the number of illegals swamping them and they are unable to pay yet the hospital has to provide the care. These hospitals have simply shut their doors and there are towns of Americans who used to have a hospital or small urgent care facility in their town who now have to drive over an hour to get to a medical facility. I'm more concerned about that than a bunch of illegals who have to go back home to get medical care in the country in which they are a citizen.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

I have a terrific solution to this problem. Have the liberal groups who are jamming the illegals down our throats pass the hat and set up a center on the other side of the Rio Grande.

It is awful that sick folks are not getting the treatment they need. Keep in mind that a number of them come here when they are sick to get the treatment rather than come here and get sick and therefore need the treatment.

Another way to look at this is to look into the hospitals in southern AZ and TX which have had to close because of the number of illegals swamping them and they are unable to pay yet the hospital has to provide the care. These hospitals have simply shut their doors and there are towns of Americans who used to have a hospital or small urgent care facility in their town who now have to drive over an hour to get to a medical facility. I'm more concerned about that than a bunch of illegals who have to go back home to get medical care in the country in which they are a citizen.

We almost lost our hospital here in town for the same reason. I can't tell you how many times having that hospital nearby has saved the lives of my family members. This concerns me as well. This is an important issue.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
If you care so much about the health of foreign invaders (yes, they are invaders, here only to suck the blood from my family/friends/neighbors cause they don't want to work to make their country better) then pack-up, move there, open a business, work your life away and give them all your money so they can live.

We are not responsible for the rest of the world!

I'm so sick and tired of you idiots feeling sorry for everyone else except Americans, We are NOT the worlds DADDY!

You are one who is not HUMAN, for you would let your friend/neighbor/countryman die in the street just so you can mollify your twisted soul because of some percieved, yet unproved grievance against The Greatest Country this world has EVER produced!

If it weren't for America this world would be in such a far worse shape as to be unrecognizable!

WE have made this world a better place, NOT they!

So, knock it off and stop acting like a TRAITOR!

If you don't like it here leave, because I'm NOT, and as long as I'm alive I will FIGHT to save THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

And YES, I do fight, and work, every day to make America a better Place!

Don't buy commie stuff from Wal-..., stupid, buy AMERICAN!

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I Think anyone who is against helping sick illegals should really look at themselves and ask if their are proper human beings.....

.. I don't care if my tax money is going to help people, i work hard all week and i like to think my tax money is being use properly to help other human beings... THAT IS WHY WE NEED A DAMN UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE !!!

... Also... those who are against Universal Health Care should not say " we should help "Americans" first"

[edit on 21-11-2009 by Polynomial C]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
These Mexican Immigrants can move back to Mexico and visit one of the State
Run dialysis clinics. After all, they are citizens of Mexico and would not be
turned away. They'll get better care than uninsured U.S. citizens with kidney
failure receive in this country. -cwm

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Polynomial C

Did you actually READ any of these posts, or do you just spout idiotic retoric ad homonym?

YOU are IN-Humane by even saying what you have!

Universal Health Care is ONLY about Controlling you, it doesn't have anything in the bill about "HEALTH", only "CONTROL".

Please read it, and find out how they are going to let you live(die) under the boot-jack on your neck.

[edit on 11/21/09 by Keymaster1]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
A wise woman said it best, way back in 1883:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Emma Lazarus

We're Humans first, Americans second.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
LiquidLight, that is lovely however, things have changed drastically since 1893. the population has increased, jobs have been outsourced, Illegals are chosen over American citizens, hence American citizens are falling through the cracks and suffering. In no way should an America allow its' own citizens to suffer and place an illegal above them.

We are trillions of dollars in debt and the cost of illegal immigrants is staggering.

Polynomial C,
posted on 21-11-2009 at 10:48 PM
"I Think anyone who is against helping sick illegals should really look at themselves and ask if their are proper human beings..... "
My mirror says why should a sick illegal come before my own family? My family matters whether you agree or not. My husband was recently hospitalized with acute care. It is by share luck alone that it happened while we have medical coverage. Otherwise, we would be thousands of dollars in debt. Many of our citizens have lost everything that they have due to medical costs because they could not afford medical coverage and made a few dollars over the poverty limit and recieved no help. Like a few dollars would pay for thousands of dollars worth of medical care. Give me a break.

You said: "I don't care if my tax money is going to help people, I work hard all week and i like to think my tax money is being use properly to help other human beings... THAT IS WHY WE NEED A DAMN UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE !!!
I have worked my butt off for over 30 years and my tax dollars should at the very least take care of my family and fellow citizens. If there is money left over, then by all means, help all others. Problem is, I don't know how long my husband and I will be able to afford the medical coverage we currently have at close to one thousand dollars per month. The trouble is, He is on disability and I have been un-employed for just over a year now and not for lack of trying. The problem is: We have poor people now living in tent cities in the cold, our homeless shelters are filled to capacity. If we cannot afford to care for our citizens, yet illegals are getting healthcare and much more for free, there is a HUGE problem.

You have a nerve telling us we are not proper human beings. America has always helped the poor of the worl. They just need to take a closer look at the homefront.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

HELP ANYONE!! .. i don't care if it helps an illegal or an American .. help for all .. we are all Humans .. i don't see Citizenship. i see people ..

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Polynomial C
reply to post by Night Star

HELP ANYONE!! .. i don't care if it helps an illegal or an American .. help for all .. we are all Humans .. i don't see Citizenship. i see people ..

If I could save the world from all its' evils, don't you think I would? If I could feed the entire worlds hungry, don't you think that I would? I have donated money my entire life to help the less fortunate, even when I made minumum wage. Don't you think that if I could still afford to, I would? The money ran out. It just isn't there anymore. Millions of people, are going without food, medicine and medical care. The same people who have paid taxes their entire lives, who obeyed all the laws, who did what was required of them.

Are citizens being treated better than illegals? No they are treated less. There lies the problem. Of course we should be compassionate human beings. There are people/organizations that give out micro loans to the poor of the world. It costs very little to give so much. Look it up on youtube or elsewhere.

We live in a society where there is much waste and there is a lot we can change to make things better. Regrettably, common sense means little to our government. It serves to make the rich richer and the poor poorer.

Do you think for one second that it wouldn't bother me to look an illegal or any human being in the face and tell them, sorry but I just can't help anymore? I am filled with empathy and compassion for mankind. I am not a God. I am simply another human being trying to survive in a chaotic and cruel world.

People have come from all over the world, for many different reasons, to become citizens of America. We do not discriminate against race or color. People cannot just jump the line in front of so many others who are still waiting to become citizens and doing it legally. What nation is without laws?

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keymaster1
I'm so sick and tired of you idiots feeling sorry for everyone else except Americans, We are NOT the worlds DADDY!

Out of curiosity
what have you done for your country lately?

Just ensuring i'm not just responding to passive patriotism

top topics

<<   2 >>

join