It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Methodist don't talk about sin?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I've gone to a Methodist church four times now and they never seem to bring up sin. Uh is this common? I used to go to a Baptist church and it was very fire and brimstone, so I got tired of hearing the same thing and left. Now I have the problem of if I go with the Methodist church would it be considered false teaching not to mention sin or hell? Maybe I should go back or find a different Baptist church.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
While not a fan of the Methodist church for my own personal reasons. Why do you need someone to talk to you about sin? Are you not an adult? Do you not know what it is when you see it or do it? Granted that yes the subject could be touched on at some point, it really should not be the focus ones faith because it only leads to finger pointing and gloating.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
My Grandma was a methodist, and she certainly talked about something being a sin. But only in terms of don't do that, rather than in a judging way.

Unless you were someone going to marry someone in the family. Then you were never good enough for that.

Or if you were GWB sending her kids to wars, she was pretty vocal about that. The family would keep deployments secret from her as long as possible, because she would get so mad about it. I think she is the only person in my family that disliked GWB more than me.

But my grandma is really all I have to go by.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
There are two types of Methodist incorporated churches. One is Methodist, One is United Methodist. While not getting into the differences in those which I really don't know much about... The big difference between methodist and baptist is that Methodist is based on John Wesley's writings, while Baptist is another based on Martin Luther's (I think) writings.

I don't think the United Methodist type of church talks about sin very much. You are probably right on the mark. But I'm sure if you went for a long time the preacher would eventually talk about sin some. It really depends on the preacher.

And now that I try to think on the actually differences in the two, I just go around in circles but I know what it's supposed to be. Baptist is more based on the faith that God will forgive you, Methodist more based on the idea that faith is more of an action.

Baptist = salvation by grace
Methodist = salvation by faith

That's why it goes in circles, because the Baptist relies on faith as well. And the Methodist relies on grace.

This illustration might help us: when Jesus walked on water, and John went out on the water with him... John could stay on top of the water as long as he had faith. But when the waves started getting bigger he got scared and sank. This story is a big part of what inspired John Wesley's writings (Methodist)

But I would think it really depends on the preacher. A preacher that is comfortable talking about sin will talk about it, but some do not like to.

I'm no expert but that's probably a better quick comparison than you would get from the average church-goer.

top topics

join