It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Rebuke: Angry Dems Shut Down Vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

White House Rebuke: Angry Dems Shut Down Vote

www.huffingtonpost.com

A bloc of African American House Democrats, angry and worried that not enough is being done about high unemployment by the administration, forced the postponement of a much-anticipated vote Thursday on comprehensive financial regulation reform.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
It seems that our White House is racially divided.

The refusal to vote for the package, a key priority of the administration, and Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner in particular, was portrayed as a direct rebuke of the White House's "lack of response to the economic situation."

"We will not be proceeding to passage today," Frank began. "I have been meeting with members of the committee, particularly the members of the Congressional Black Caucus, who have informed me that they are troubled by what they believe is the lack of response to the economic situation that is confronting them on the part of the administration, and therefore do not feel that they could -- in deference to the various constituencies that they represent -- vote for passage."

..."The recession has created a unique systemic risk that threatens all parts of the African-American community, including the poor and the middle class," said Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.), a subcommittee chair, in a statement after shutting down the vote. "I have always been committed to addressing that risk and will continue to do so. This is a critical issue for my constituents."

I'm glad to see that at least some democrats are breaking away to speak up about that lack of employment and the lack of attention needed to turn things around.

My only problem with this is that unemployment doesn't just affect the African-American community. The middle class, comprised of varying races, is definitely hurting right now.

My only hope is that this does not further divide the current administration. I would hate to see votes and policies being divided up by race as well. It's terrible enough that there are such strong party lines in this country.

It seems, more and more, that we are taking many more steps backwards than forwards.

On a positive note, it is nice to see at least some Democrats paying attention to what is going on.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Yeah Obama's solution will be to pass another stimulus and those same ``black opponents`` will love Obama for it.

And of course the debt ceiling will rise...after all there's only 86 billion left before there's no more money.

If they really want reform, they gonna support HR1207, and will not confirm Bernanke for the head of the fed.

[edit on 20-11-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
My immediate response would have to be...

What is the point of identify the legislators as "A bloc of African American House Democrats,"?

Does it make it any better or worse than if they were just "legislators"? Does it matter that they are "Democrats"?

Isn't the issue unemployment?

Oh well, that's showbiz' celebrity politics for you.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

My point exactly. I was under the impression that unemployment is affecting everyone.

The last thing we need right now, on top of everything else, is to begin isolating and identifying votes by race.

I'm not really sure why we even have a Congressional Black Caucus. Do we have a Congressional Hispanic Caucus?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
reply to post by Maxmars

My point exactly. I was under the impression that unemployment is affecting everyone.

The last thing we need right now, on top of everything else, is to begin isolating and identifying votes by race.

I'm not really sure why we even have a Congressional Black Caucus. Do we have a Congressional Hispanic Caucus?

The media has encouraged the race card at every turn. Even the blacks with their 99% vote for Obama have made it clear that race is indeed a factor. I don't see why we try and hide the fact that race plays a huge part in politics.

I say for every "black whatever group" there is we need a hispanic, white, red and blue group. Make it so absurd that they are forced to do away with all the "black PC crap"

Back to the point.... That black caucus seems to me to be racist rabble against Obama. I mean they disagree with the direction of the white house and any time you do that you must be a racist... They must be destroyed politically. Let the inquisition against the black caucus begin!

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by northof8

Wasn't there talk recently, from a big name i think, that stated Obama is not doing enough for African-Americans now that he's in office?

I could have sworn I remembered reading this somewhere....I'll have to check it out.

I really thought that electing a black president would have eased the racial divide, not increase it.

And I agree -- for every single group / charity, etc. that we have in this country for one particular race we should have the same available FOR ALL RACES.

I believe that would be "equality", no?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Sadly, equality cannot be achieved. In a world where all are equal, the need for political intrigue vanishes....

If all the nation, including our public servants, were all treated equally, with all the benefits and responsibilities of citizenship, the only need for political show business people would be in the entertainment industry....

wait ....

*** sigh ***

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
The sad thing is comprehensive financial regulation reform will do a great deal to help the economy, of which African Americans are a part.

It seems like everybody in the country wants EVERYTHING from the Obama administration and they want it NOW.

Do people think he has a magic wand?

new topics

top topics

join