It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug-resistant H1N1 reported at Duke hospital

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Drug-resistant H1N1 reported at Duke hospital

www.wral.com

Public health officials confirmed Friday that four patients at Duke University Hospital have a drug-resistant form of the H1N1 influenza virus.

All four patients were in an isolated unit on one floor of Duke University Hospital, and officials said there is no evidence the cases represent a hospital-wide concern.

The four patients were very ill with underlying compromised immune systems and multiple other complex medical conditions, officials said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
What do you call an illness where a vaccine didn't work to subdue it?

a drug resistant illness?

Let's see if this makes mainstream news, if it doesn't then that might be a clue.

It could really be a drug-resistant flu, but i'm just playing conspiracy guy here because the vaccine has been tested and vaccines as a whole have zero evidence that they prevent illenesses.

Or is this the variant found in the ukraine and Norway
www.washingtonpost.com...

Im starting to feel like i'm in the beggining of a zombie movie.

www.wral.com

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Ahh, that is just what we need, Viruses laughing at our pittyful attempts to kill them.

I am surprised that people in the 'know' are surprised, this has been warned about for a long time, it will be three waves.

People seem to forget this is 3 viruses, Human,Swine and Avian, so wave one is over, wave to has been going on for some months it seems, and wave three ? Ebola ? Flying Hiv ?

Why were there a town in China Quarantined in the summer time ?
What was the Kille Hiv/Ebola virus in Africa ?

Any connections ? Trial runs ?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

It could really be a drug-resistant flu, but i'm just playing conspiracy guy here because the vaccine has been tested and vaccines as a whole have zero evidence that they prevent illenesses.

My first question is do you understand the difference between vaccine and drug in this context. They are saying that the three that died had the disease and did not respond to treatment with Tamiflu. Not that a vaccine would not have prevented these people from getting sick in the first place.

Second question is wtf? "vaccines as a whole have zero evidence that they prevent illenesses." Ever hear of Small Pox or Polio? Ever seen anyone vaccinated against them who got sick?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

It means is resistance to Tamiflu that happens before with the seasonal flu also, rare cases but it happens specially if the people have been bombarded with antibiotics or other medications.

Still why no let the swine flu run its course and let the people create their own immunity.

Tamiflu is not always effective you know it tells you in their side effects.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by urwatu8
Second question is wtf? "vaccines as a whole have zero evidence that they prevent illenesses." Ever hear of Small Pox or Polio? Ever seen anyone vaccinated against them who got sick?

that's very flawed logic
i can just as well say that my father, mother, uncles, aunts, cousins and friends of theirs never got a vaccine and none of them got Polio.

Without tests backing you up what you are doing is drawing a conclusion from what is known as a fallacious syllogism

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Polio and Measles died out by it self at the time the Vaccines were available, just a coincidence..

Not a wonder drug..

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

What do you call an illness where a vaccine didn't work to subdue it?

a drug resistant illness?

Let's see if this makes mainstream news, if it doesn't then that might be a clue.

Or is this the variant found in the ukraine and Norway
www.washingtonpost.com...

Im starting to feel like i'm in the beggining of a zombie movie.

www.wral.com

Uhm, it doesn't say they took the vaccine and the goes on to say taking it is the best defence. Now you're just making things up when the facts don't fit your narrative, which anti-vaxxers tend to do.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
Polio and Measles died out by it self at the time the Vaccines were available, just a coincidence..

Not a wonder drug..

They actually spontaneously implode when they come in contact, get it right. We're much safer with both as the evidence shows. Vaccines would have offset the delicate balance and either could have wiped us out.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus

Originally posted by ChemBreather

Not a wonder drug..

They actually spontaneously implode when they come in contact, get it right. We're much safer with both as the evidence shows. Vaccines would have offset the delicate balance and either could have wiped us out.

Nope, your reaching, I dont know why, but those diseases were in a heavy decline when the Vaccines were introduced, you talked about facts ?

im editing, what are you talking about Balance ? We would ahve died out without vaccine and died out with vaccine with no disease ?

[edit on 20/11/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by urwatu8

Its time you educate yourself with respect to the vaccine/big pharma scam.

1phil4everyill.wordpress.com...

www.garynull.com...

www.youtube.com...

Vaccines are nothing more than a meal ticket for vaccine manufacturers and extremely dangerous for the rest of us.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I'm confused, Tamiflu is an anti-viral drug that retards the progression of symptoms, not the virus itself.

If Tamiflu worked to eliminate the flu virus then vaccines would serve no purpose.

This just sounds like more fear mongering.

-Dev

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
The reasons many childhood diseases has been "eradicated" is due to better health care and sanitation practices.

Most Childhood vaccines we have today are actually unnecessary and dangerous.

Still our children receive more vaccinations in this country than any other country in world and mortality rates doesn't justify them when compare to other countries that children receive less vaccinations.

When I found out that now new born are vaccinated after birth rather than when they are two weeks old I was appalled.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
20 Nov 2009 20:42:10 GMT
Source: Reuters
(Adds details and reaction)

* Five H1N1 patients resistant to Tamiflu

* Possible person-to-person spread of resistant strain

LONDON, Nov 20 (Reuters) - British health officials are investigating the likely person-to-person spread of a drug-resistant strain of swine flu, the Health Protection Agency said on Friday.

There have been five confirmed cases in Wales of patients infected with H1N1 resistant to oseltamivir -- the generic name of Roche AG and Gilead Sciences Inc's antiviral drug Tamiflu, the agency said.

Four other patients are infected with H1N1 with the same genetic mutation but one was helped by Tamiflu and the status of three others is not clear. Another antiviral, GlaxoSmithKline and Biota Inc's Relenza, was effective in the patients, the HPA said.

The patients had serious conditions that suppressed their immune systems, which can give the virus a better than usual opportunity to develop resistance, the HPA added.

"Although further epidemiological investigation is underway, it would seem likely that transmission of oseltamivir-resitant H1N1 virus has taken place," it said in a statement. "At present we believe the risk to the general healthy population is low."

John McCauley of the Medical Research Council said the patients involved were in an at-risk group.

"It is well established that patients with immunodeficiency do have problems with eliminating virus, giving it a greater chance to acquire resistance," he said in a statement.

The World Health Organisation has reported 57 cases of Tamiflu resistance worldwide. There have not yet been any confirmed cases of person-to-person transmission, although a possible case in the United States is under investigation.

The British government launched a national pandemic flu service in July to allow people to get a diagnosis and prescription online or over the phone without visiting a doctor.

It said on Friday it was taking the development of a Tamiflu-resistant strain seriously but it would continue to offer the antiviral to all patients.

"Our strategy to offer antivirals to all patients with swine flu is the right one, to help prevent complications and reduce the severity of the illness," the Department of Health said in a statement.

British officials have confirmed the H1N1 virus has killed 214 people, but experts note that most people who are made sick by the virus are not tested.

A nationwide vaccination programme began last month, initially targeting those considered high risk, such as pregnant women and front-line healthcare workers.

Norwegian health authorities reported a mutation of H1N1 in some patients with severe disease but other officials noted quickly that other patients infected with the same mutant have had mild disease. [ID:nLK669768] (Reporting by Kylie MacLellan; editing by David Stamp)

top topics

join