It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple Busted for Refusing to Pay Tip

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MrDesolate

i mean for example and to put it in perspective. if you don't get good service no matter what it is- you shouldn't have to pay for it let alone more than what you expected to pay to begin with.
sorry if i worded that wrong and confused you

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I remember it being like that when I've visited America, everyone wants, and expects and tip. Tip at the restaurant, all the hotel staff, the cab driver, tip cups and the majority of stores by the register.

I usually get dirty looks when I come down there because I don't tip unless the person goes above and beyond to assist me in some manner, as it should be.

If it's a nice restaurant, sure, 15% is standard if the service was good, but if I have to get my own damn cutlery or the service sucks, not likely. A tip is supposed to be a reward for excellence, not something you get for just showing up.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
The wage is awful I just choked when I saw that they get 2.67 an hour?
Is there no minimum wage enforcemnt in US?
Where the owners must pay compensation if they do not adhere?

I have a feeling that there is a minimum wage - but in restaurants and other service based places of work it's quite common for the employee to sign an agreement when they start waiving the minimum wage rate... They do this because tipping is a much bigger thing over there than here...

That's why I would choose to work in a hotel or maybe a restaurant rather than a bar here in the UK... It's far easier to corner the customers with my stupid great grin and impeccable service! I would easily double my daily wage in a hotel just because I would run around after people... People just don't feel obliged to tip that much over here so you gotta work a bit harder for it - that's why our minimum wage is a poxy but adiquate £6 ish...

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
i think the reason they do it is because management/corporation/owner gets a certain percentage of it. yes the waitress gets a tip no matter what but she doesn't get the full amount.
when i worked in a small diner years ago all the waitresses had to put their tips in a jar then the owner took 10% of the tips and then they split the rest equally. so even if a waitress only had 1 table for the night she got what another did for serving 50.
i think that is highway robbery and theft.
when i tip a person no matter what the job i want to make sure it is theirs-not someone elses or being told i have to tip.
tipping is a courtesy-like holding a door open for someone- it is not a mandatory obligation or law. if i get bad service i won't tipwell if i get good service i will- period.
if they are only making say $3 an hour and rely on tips then they better do a good job so they can EARN their tips- not just show up and get them anyway for lousy service

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Some states pay only 2.13 an hour to wait staff.

I have waited tables before, I disliked imposed gratuity. Sometimes I was burned badly by big parties, who are quite demanding on you and they just didn't believe in tipping. Some people just don't tip, but it always averaged out. I usually just contented myself with imagining them breaking down on the way home or having a flat.

Some countries don't tip, and when they come to the usa they don't realize that the pay system in america is lower for wait staff because of their tips. I guess that's not their problem.

Many people i knew hated waited on asian people, because they believed they did not tip. I tried many times to explain they had a misconception, when i presented the bill I always presented it to the table head by handing it to him and not placing it on the table. I was usually tipped well by them. A lot of them just seemed to dislike money or the bill touching the table. There are so many different customs around the world it's easy to get a misunderstanding.

If this had happened to me when I waited I'd have refused the tip. I think the arrest is crap also.

There was a joke when I waited table about certain types of people(forgive me) sirloin steak well done, bring me ketchup, no tip. Some people just have no class.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join