It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hadley CRU hacked with release of hundreds of docs and emails

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Thank you!!!! Big news! And awesome! Now the truth will be heard!!!

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
delete

[edit on 20-11-2009 by john124]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shirakawa
reply to post by john124

I downloaded them and at a quick glance to me they appear to be real.
No viruses found...

Unpacked, there's over 160 Megabytes and over 10 years of data and emails, and I think it would require an enormous amount of work to fake all this stuff making it coherent. The source said it's only a selection of everything.

Many are wondering if instead of a hacking this hasn't been a leak from an insider.

[edit on 2009-11-20 by Shirakawa]

So this appears to be real?

ten years, I would love to read through.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
This is the winner for the Friday News bomb!

Shame it didn't come from the Whitehouse this time, but I will still declare it the winner, because of the way it will affect the Whitehouse.

Perhaps they knew this was coming, and is why Obama backed off Crap and Trade late last week.

Either way, this will give the Whitehouse something to spin on on *thier* weekend, this time, instead of bending us over and saying pucker up!

Only thing is, the pending Saturday The Press Won't Notice The 8pm Vote. *sigh*

You still win, so S&F! Some of the things already posted are for certain the perfect storm for Globaloney warming. Or is it cooling? Oh wait, it's "climate change".

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
This from the examiner source:

They include a five-page PDF document titled The Rules of the Game, that appears to be a primer for propagating the AGW message to the average subject/resident of the United Kingdom. The document suggests that it is a precis of a longer document housed at the Web site of the UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

I've read this PDF document and to be honest, I agree entirely with it, that some people need to be convinced by other means than by science. Personally I would prefer people to pay attention to the science instead, and realise that it affects them, but unfortunately a large number of people will be influenced more by adverts such as a celebrities using buses instead, and so copy them. So actually I'm not surprised the govt. are advising on this.

The emails are likely to have been doctored, so they can't be trusted.

[edit on 20-11-2009 by john124]

+10 more 
posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
If I hear one more person say "I don't care what the truth is, I just want to save the planet" one more time, I'm going to scream!

You are living in a fairy tale land if you honestly think wasting billions and billions of dollars on silly non-proven ponzi schemes such as pouring millions of tons of concrete in the ground and erecting huge steel symbolic twirly gigs (wind turbines) is really going to change the planet's climate one iota.

You are essentially saying "I don't want to think, I want to follow ... cause I get a nice warm fuzzy green feeling inside".

THIS is the problem with humanity. The sheep were ready for a new religion to come along to cast out their sins and make them feel noble and good.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I personally believe this is genuine. The amount of data is such that faking it would be a task so hard that one would have to be extremely motivated to do so, or payed. If it's a fake, it's the results of many months, probably years, of work.
If it's indeed real, though, there's still a possibility that something might have been altered in order to put the involved individuals under an even worse light.

We will see in the next new days how this will turn up.

For now, only climate blogs and the Examiner have covered this story.
It's something that started from a post in a climate blog (The Air Vent), so some time could pass before the "real" news sites cover it.

[edit on 2009-11-20 by Shirakawa]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Personally, I feel that downloading files which were illegally obtained is in itself not only unethical but probably illegal as well. That is just my interpretation and feelings and as such I will not be downloading any of the information.

I also feel that cap & trade or whatever commoditization of pollution is misguided and wrong. Hopefully truth will come out of this incident, but I fear that debunking of pure AGW may lead the retards out there to think that any and all pollution is a-okay.

Face it, the vast majority of people on this planet are absolutely retarded. Bonafide mouth-breathing lazy idiots that would much rather find the easy way over the inconvenient way. Debunking AGW and exposing the scam that cap & trade really is may hurt the planet greatly.

Hopefully smart and informed people will continue to do their best to live in better harmony with planet Earth while we take down the business interests behind cap & trade and AGW.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
biggest story of the decade IMHO.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

I agree! I also wonder what this will do to the stock market, afterall, a *lot* of people have heavily invested in "green", because they saw the dollar signs in Gore's eyes. I fully expect a repercussion from this, as a couple of the authors of those emails admitted it was genuine.

AG will never admit it, but who cares, the scam has been uncovered, and I hope people realize whoever did this.. well.. saved us a TON of money.

And to those afraid to download thwe files, they are on bit torrents, and have been downloaded worldwide, many of the torrent links are already gone, meaning, no traces.

I seriously doubt someone will bother with trying to contain this, same as if Wikileaks drops the 9/11 files. All it takes is a few people to download it and drop it on a few dozen sites. It has reached maximum overdrive already, and cannot be contained.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The Telegraph covers it too:

blogs.telegraph.co.uk...

Climategate: the final nail in the coffin of 'Anthropogenic Global Warming'?

If you own any shares in alternative energy companies I should start dumping them NOW. The conspiracy behind the Anthropogenic Global Warming myth (aka AGW; aka ManBearPig) has been suddenly, brutally and quite deliciously exposed after a hacker broke into the computers at the University of East Anglia’s Climate Research Unit (aka Hadley CRU) and released 61 megabites of confidential files onto the internet. (Hat tip: Watts Up With That)

When you read some of those files – including 1079 emails and 72 documents – you realise just why the boffins at Hadley CRU might have preferred to keep them confidential. As Andrew Bolt puts it, this scandal could well be “the greatest in modern science”. These alleged emails – supposedly exchanged by some of the most prominent scientists pushing AGW theory – suggest:

Conspiracy, collusion in exaggerating warming data, possibly illegal destruction of embarrassing information, organised resistance to disclosure, manipulation of data, private admissions of flaws in their public claims and much more. [...]

More at the source

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
And BBC too:

news.bbc.co.uk...

Hackers target world's leading climate research unit

The e-mail system of one the world's leading climate research units has been breached by hackers.

E-mails reportedly from the University of East Anglia's Climatic Research Unit (CRU), including personal exchanges, appeared on the internet on Thursday.

A university spokesman confirmed the email system had been hacked and that information was taken and published without permission.

An investigation was underway and the police had been informed, he added.

"We are aware that information from a server used for research information in one area of the university has been made available on public websites," the spokesman stated.

"Because of the volume of this information we cannot currently confirm that all of this material is genuine.

"This information has been obtained and published without our permission and we took immediate action to remove the server in question from operation.

"We are undertaking a thorough internal investigation and we have involved the police in this enquiry."

Researchers at CRU, considered to be one of the world's leading research bodies on natural and human-induced climate change, played a key role in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's (IPCC) Fourth Assessment Report, which is considered to be the most authoritative report of its kind.

'Inside information'

Graham Cluley, a computer security expert, suggested that December's key climate summit in Copenhagen, which has made headlines around the world, could have increased the university's profile as a possible target among hackers.

"There are passionate opinions on both sides of the climate debate and there will be people trying to knock down the other side," Mr Cluley, senior technology consultant for Sophos, told BBC News.

"If they feel that they can gather inside information on what the other side is up to, then they may feel that is ammunition for their counterargument."

Mr Cluley added that universities were vulnerable to attacks by hackers because some many people required access to IT systems.

"You do need proper security in place; you need to be careful regarding communications and make sure your systems are secure.

"I trust that they will now be looking at the systems, and investigating how this happened and ensuring that something like this does not happen again."

The source

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
biggest story of the decade IMHO.

Seriously? 9/11 happened this decade. The global economic decline is this decade. Several major wars, the assassination of Bhutto, divisiveness of America, human genome project, nanotechnology and Mars missions...

...and you think this is the biggest story?

I'd be (genuinely) interested to know where you think this leak of information is going? What do you think the ramifications of this will be?

I can understand your remark if you think that perhaps this leak will uncover a very deep conspiracy by certain powerful entities to continue to profit after big oil declines. Maybe that could get the common public to think more critically about what they are 'told' thus resulting in a domino-effect of "official stories" no longer being taken for face value.

A loss of confidence of "officialdom" by the people. I suppose if that happens it could qualify as biggest story of the decade.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

As Andrew Bolt puts it, this scandal could well be “the greatest in modern science”. These alleged emails – supposedly exchanged by some of the most prominent scientists pushing AGW theory – suggest:

HOOOOOLY COOOOOW!

This is amazing,

So what motivates them?

Grant money?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

And if the Telegraph had felt the same way, the entire UK would be none the wiser about the extent to which their politicians were screwing them over. When you let ethics get in the way of telling the truth, you don't really have any, certainly none worth a damn.

[edit on 20-11-2009 by quackers]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by quackers

Reporting the story is one thing. Spreading stolen intellectual property is another.

It is just my personal opinion as I work in IT and would never download or spread stolen information. It is a personal thing.

Do what you wish with it. You live your own life and make your own decisions.

As far as ethics go, your statement makes no sense. Think about it.

[edit on 20-11-2009 by nydsdan]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Well I hope it is real, that can show us a glimpse of the real truth behind the scenes..

I see nothing wrong in trying to save the planet, but the whole global warming thing in the way businesses and the government are selling it has always appeared wrong to me...

If this proves to be real then I hope real funds will be diverted into real projects, rather than the make beleive projects I fear we are being sold at the moment..

got to say the timing is pretty impressive.. if it is real, then none of the MSM will pick it up..

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Andrew Bolt's column from the Herald Sun:
blogs.news.com.au...

Hadley hacked: warmist conspiracy exposed?

8.15 PM UPDATE: The Hadley CRU director admits the emails seem to be genuine:

The director of Britain’s leading Climate Research Unit, Phil Jones, has told Investigate magazine’s TGIF Edition tonight ..."It was a hacker. We were aware of this about three or four days ago that someone had hacked into our system and taken and copied loads of data files and emails."…

TGIF asked Jones about the controversial email discussing “hiding the decline”, and Jones explained what he was trying to say….

So the 1079 emails and 72 documents seem indeed evidence of a scandal involving most of the most prominent scientists pushing the man-made warming theory - a scandal that is one of the greatest in modern science. I’ve been adding some of the most astonishing in updates below - emails suggesting conspiracy, collusion in exaggerating warming data, possibly illegal destruction of embarrassing information, organised resistance to disclosure, manipulation of data, private admissions of flaws in their public claims and much more. If it is as it now seems, never again will “peer review” be used to shout down sceptics.

This is clearly not the work of some hacker, but of an insider who’s now blown the whistle.

Not surprising, then, that Steve McIntyre reports:

Earlier today, CRU cancelled all existing passwords. Actions speaking loudly. [...]

Continued with links, excerpts, updates, at the source

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Star and Flag to the Hacker responsible!!
I just wish there were more hackers doing this sort of work,exposing the lies we are fed,instead of thieving credit card details.

Some of the above mentioned leaks totally prove the scientists are,once again,working not for true science(to find out truths),but for a pre set government agenda-Just like the case where government drug advisers were sacked for being caught telling the truth...

The man made climate change scam wil,and is intended to,result in massive amounts of deaths across the globe through de-industrialisation plans.
This hacker may just have started the ball rolling in opening peoples eyes to the facts,which may save many lives.

When science is perverted by those with an agenda,it ceases to be science,and becomes a con trick.
Is it really any wonder no one believes anything the government scientists tell us these days?

What really exposed the arrogance of these good for nothing scientists for me was this bit:

Dear Phil and Gabi,
I’ve attached a cleaned-up and commented version of the matlab code that I wrote for doing the Mann and Jones (2003) composites. I did this knowing that Phil and I are likely to have to respond to more crap criticisms from the idiots in the near future, so best to clean up the code and provide to some of my close colleagues in case they want to test it, etc. Please feel free to use this code for your own internal purposes, but don’t pass it along where it may get into the hands of the wrong people.

www.examiner.com...

These people know they are conning us all,and yet still they delude themselves that those who question their lies and manipulation of data are "Idiots."

It is they who are the idiots IMO.
Idiots for letting their entire industry of "science"become infested with the contagion that is the globalist governments of the world.

Science,just like the MSM,is now a tool of the government.
It is to be used by them,against us,not for us as we are so often told.

GIVE THAT HACKER A MEDAL.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

"Intellectual property" means inventions, literary and artistic works, and symbols, names, images, and designs, etc. I don't think this really fits.

So, if someone had hacked into Bernie Madoff's computer and discovered what he was up to, it would be "wrong" to reveal it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join