It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Interesting point on Political Correctness

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
As much as we like to deride the PC brigade. In many ways Political Correctness has been a good thing for our society.

Surely it's good we no longer use certain words to describe people. Polical correctness, has improved the live of countless people, who used to suffer. I'm talking ethnic minorities, homosexuals, women and the disabled. At worst it's institutionalised politeness

[edit on 20-11-2009 by woodwardjnr]

[edit on 20-11-2009 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
No, I believe it's much more than just institutionalized politeness. It litmits my freedom of speech. It also forces people to not speak their minds for fear of being attacked by special interest groups from every end of the spectrum.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by kingoftheworld

Yes,

I believe PC has much to answer for.

It has just made people more hypocritical.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingoftheworld
It litmits my freedom of speech.

does it? how? i've never felt my freedom to speak was impeaded by political correctness, when has yours?

It also forces people to not speak their minds for fear of being attacked by special interest groups from every end of the spectrum.

speak their minds about what?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
You are an *********

And I believe that ***********

The political system is ************

I believe that ************

Yes, ****** PC is ******** to society as a whole and *********
and we should ***********.

What, are you fracking crazy? ********

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Have you ever heard that quote "The truth will set you free"?

PC denies the truth.

We should not be told what to say and what not to say, it is oppressive.

And it is not helping humankind.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Well it erodes my free speech in that it is preparing us for a bill that will eventually stop us from saying certian phrases and words. On top of that there are now locations where we cant properly speaking our thoughts, such as work or collage.

As for being attacked about speaking our minds, I mean like the Fort Hood shooting. No one questioned the validity of this guy cause he was muslim and they didn't want to be seen as racist or intolerant, so instead of confronting him or a superior, they left it alone ultimately leading to a national tradegy.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Political correctness has transferred ideas or insults from one side of the community to the other.

Back in the old days older folk like my grandparents called a spade a spade as they saw it, now I'm not trying to offend anyone in particular just point out an example, some people took offense and 'political correctness' was born, now in the madness that is PC , call a spade a spade and you get arrested, but should a spade say anything then its ok. Its bandied back and forth, you can't say anything to anyone, you can't mock religeon , races , sexes as you'll offend someone, but these someones can call you anything they like and get away with it.

Gay jokes are a no no, fine, race jokes a no no, great, religeon jokes definately a no go area.

My example here is coming from my work area, a certain person who is lazy , who drags the work out to make herself look busier than she actually is , so she doesn't have any extra work put on her desk whilst we're all way to busy ( before you moan , I'm typing this when its a bit of downtime
) but as soon as you say anything, like" can't you do your own work? " she throws in the race card and the bosses back down from arguing as they think that polical correctness is ok for her to do that.

So so benefits from PC?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

You hit the nail on the head.

Older people call a spade a spade and do not beat around the bush and at least you know where you are with them, even if you get offended.

This PC stuff is just lying actually.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

Have you ever heard that quote "The truth will set you free"?
PC denies the truth.

Really.....it does?

What truth does it deny?

I'm curious.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I don't follow Political Correctness, never have. Though what relly gets to me now is not the Political Correctness slaves, its the ones who go like this ''PC has gone to far'' ''PC is just to much now''. That dose my head in.

Don't let them control you, because thats what they are doing. All the Minority groups of this world have got the world by the balls (except me)! So wake up and relise that they are controling you. Unless you want to be controlled.

“I believe that political correctness can be a form of linguistic fascism, and it sends shivers down the spine of my generation who went to war against fascism” - P. D. James

Tsom87

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Their is a difference between political correctness and civility. Political correctness has never been about being polite but has been about making other people wrong and claiming the moral high ground in doing so. Civility or politeness on the other hand has always been about speaking to others with respect. An example of political correctness is the proclivity towards describing a person with a hyphenated nationality such as "African-American" or "Mexican-American" and so on. It has become politically correct to use such language but one who is civil or polite need not rely upon such labels and can merely describe them as the gentleman or gentlewoman or kind sir or kind madam, without worrying about their race or nationality. My esteemed colleague or my worthy adversary are terms of civility and politeness, but terms such as "neo-con" and "far left liberal" are for some reason politically correct.

Political correctness has become an inferior replacement for civility and even worse a thinly veiled disguise for disrespect. It is better to show others respect even if you aren't sure they deserve it and simply give them the benefit of the doubt that they do deserve it. Even if one removes all doubt and demonstrates they are not so worthy of respect, why not speak to them respectfully if for no other reason than to maintain the level of civility on your own end? One who is civil will not begin to lecture others on what should and shouldn't be said but will instead simply speak in respectful terms regardless of how that person is spoken to. Of course, I suppose I am somewhat guilty of lecturing now, so what the heck do I know? I am just saying, that's all!

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   

PC denies the truth.
oh ffs, in what way?

And it is not helping humankind.
i think it is, i think it's very helpful.

Originally posted by kingoftheworld
Well it erodes my free speech in that it is preparing us for a bill that will eventually stop us from saying certian phrases and words.

i'm all ears, go for it, explain this for me.

On top of that there are now locations where we cant properly speaking our thoughts, such as work or collage.

in what way, i'm looking for specifics, not random statements.

As for being attacked about speaking our minds, I mean like the Fort Hood shooting. No one questioned the validity of this guy cause he was muslim

any reason to believe this? as far as i know, everyone in the army is expected to go to war, muslim or not. have you reason to believe his religion played a factor in his being sent overseas?

[edit on 20/11/09 by pieman]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I don't think the truth denies any truth - it is just the truth.

But no-one knows it, unfortunately.

Except that PC is not the truth.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TSOM87

You don't like PC, and yet you don't like people saying it is wrong.

So where do you stand?

CX

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Thank you for that, starred and flagged.

I agree that being PC has been a good thing to a certain extent, in a way i feel it has taught people to be more respectful towards others.

I guess you could say that the word, "taught" could be replaced with, "forced", which i also agree with in a lot of cases.

I hate the fact that being PC limits your free speech, however can you imagine how life would be today if there were no laws about racism, or any ism for that matter?

The level of PC'ness is the thing for me. Calling someone who is black a derogatory name is bang out of order, but banning the word black in childrens nursery rhymes is nothing less than stupidity bordering on insanity.

This changes with each individual too, i've worked at schools where we were really hot on racial quality and all that, and one week we were told to refer to the children as "black", another week "coloured", it changed regularly.

Some people may think that being PC is just covering up your real thoughts. Maybe so. Theres such a thing as social manners though, rare these days but good to learn.

You might want to call someone something due to the colour of their skin, or because of their cultural habits. If so, i say i'm glad the PC brigade frowns upon this. It's rude, it's ignorant and if the boot were on the other foot we'd all be moaning our backsides off.

It's a difficult one, and a subject there will be many opinions on. IMO it just boils down to manners and respect, if everyone had these we would have no damn need for the PC brigade.

I reckon manners and respect should be part of the national curriculum in schools for the day they start as a toddler, to the day they leave.

This is old man CX, sighning out....BRING BACK THE BIRCH!!!

CX.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   

reply to post by TSOM87

You don't like PC, and yet you don't like people saying it is wrong.

So where do you stand?

I get sick of people saying what i quoted. I allways seem to see those lines. I don't have a problem with people saying its wrong. I wish people would come out and pull down PC like they did the Berlin Wall.

-

Sometimes you'll get the mob who just love to see them selfs type (rebel) against PC, though in reality they are slaves to PC.

Tsom87

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TSOM87

OK, but you seem to be saying both yes and no.

All I want to know is where you stand?

And a lot of people like to be quoted - so, sorry.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
It appears that people have different concepts of what PC actually stands for. Without agreeing on a definition you can never agree with eachother.

For me PC is a good thing most of the time, as it makes people think twice before shouting something without thinking. You can still get your point accross without hurting / attacking someone, unless that hurt was exactly your intent. In which case it would not be possible to even express yourself in a PC way.

I use PC statements as a means to avoid having to fight. This does not mean however that I cannot say what I want. Thoughtless, non-PC statements only cause irritation and conflict where there is none.

People who value peace and understanding attempt to express themselves in a PC way. This does not mean they don't allow opposition, they do. They just prefer to have a discussion in a civilised manner. Haters are the ones who don't like PC because they actually have to think about what they say in order to apply it. And since emotion and thought often contradict eachother, this means an internal conflict arises where they would much rather have an external one.

[edit on 20-11-2009 by Mokoman]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   

reply to post by blupblup

I don't think the truth denies any truth - it is just the truth.

But no-one knows it, unfortunately.

Except that PC is not the truth.

Talking in riddles is not an answer.
What "Truth" does Political Correctness deny you...or anyone?

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join