It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK’s Terrifying Anti-Piracy Plans Leak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Tomorrow morning Lord Mandelson will present the Digital Economy Bill to the public, which among other things is aimed at reducing illicit file-sharing. According to parts of the bill that leaked today, the legislation could lead to jail terms for file-sharers and unprecedented power for the entertainment industries.

Over the past months the UK government has tried to tackle the issue of online piracy. This has resulted in a proposal from Lord Mandelson, who plans to disconnect alleged file sharers without any judicial process.

Tomorrow the exact text of the bill is expected to be made public, but according to early reports, the legislation will open all doors for a digital police state where alleged pirates will be crucified by private companies.

torrentfreak.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Boycotting the entertainment industry is the only way to make the entertainment industry change their tune.

I agree that people shouldn't steal copyrighted material, but the entertainment industry is also ripping off the public with the cheap mediums they place their products on.

I get tired of buying DVD's or CD's and not be able to use them cause they easily get scratched up.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

There are positives and negatives with your argument. Yes, I am also unhappy with the way most a lot of dvd \ cds etc. are distributed, however, this topic also includes software piracy.

It may come to a point where the companies will become bankrupt due to the piracy, yet the companies could have kept a level head and stayed within the means of the average consumer.

I mean $599 for an Adobe CS4 Suite? The average person is not going to pay that amount of money for a few editing tools.

Another thing is, how exactly and who exactly are they going to find guilty for piracy and send to jail? All they have is your IP address, not great when you could have a house of about 20 people, or you download from the public library.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Boycotting the entertainment industry is the only way to make the entertainment industry change their tune.

I agree that people shouldn't steal copyrighted material, but the entertainment industry is also ripping off the public with the cheap mediums they place their products on.

I get tired of buying DVD's or CD's and not be able to use them cause they easily get scratched up.

Or, how about when you install software and 3 months later when you reinstall the disc cannot be read by your computer.

Piracy is an inevitable response to inferior products, along with the advent of software that is free.

Frack the Mega Corps like MS and Apple and Google. Use freeware or opensource like Linux. It is not that is not entirely virus or other types of intrusion safe, hackers do not attack it because it is not mainstream. And it is just as effective and usually superior.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

lol. Reminds me of some trouble I had recently. I installed a software about 4 months ago by a company I am not going to name (microsoft) and approx 4 weeks later, it asked me for my serial number. I rang their call center and they offered to send someone out? I told them to put it where the sun don't shine

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
This is bogus anyways. It's just another tool for them to introduce the police state to the internet. It's main purpose is just going to give them a way to shut down people or sites that have views in opposition of the Governments! Imagine a site like ATS where people post information about the evil elite and their plans to destroy most of humanity. Then that person posts a thread containing a random picture for instance in their thread that has a copyright. Well the government will use this bill as an excuse to throw the poster in jail and shut down the site for copyright violations when in reality it's about the fact that people were posting the truth or information they don't want you to hear! Things that aren't their propaganda. It's another in a long line of sad days for freedom indeed...

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Scooby Doo

Another thing is, how exactly and who exactly are they going to find guilty for piracy and send to jail? All they have is your IP address, not great when you could have a house of about 20 people, or you download from the public library.

Very true.

I hope I am wrong. But in the beginning it won't matter who they find guilty or should I say accuse. The main thing is to make an example out of somebody in hope of deterring others.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Piracy is proof that entertainment companies do not know what they are doing. Their marketing strategy gets weaker and weaker. Piracy is part of the market and to combat it, they need to come up with more interesting marketing ideas to attract buyers. Maybe offer more incentives to their consumers.

On the other hand, I don't think a few hundred dollars to Adobe software is a "ripoff." First of all they need to pay programmers. Second, if you are using these software professionally or even educationally, you should pay or use another program. You also have to remember how much money they spend to make their product industry norms. That is included in the price of the software.

The government shouldn't get involved. People say piracy is stealing, but if you buy an apple, plant the seeds, wait for it to grow and give the newly grown apples to your neighbor, can the original apple farmer sue you?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyjohen

Yes, I agree they do have to pay for they programmers and engineers.

However, $642 for Photoshop CS4 on Amazon? When you can get the same photo editing tools on Gimpshop for free?

How about Dreamweaver? Mozilla's Kompozer freeware does the same job for free. Companies have to start lowering their prices as this time in economics is forcing people to become tighter with their money.

top topics

join