It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is applause and how does one acquire them?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I have noticed that between my posting periods here the staff seems to have tightened up on a few things, including applauses.
They used to be given out like candy it seems.

Anymore, you have to earn them. And that is a good thing

I was once given like four applauses in a row for a single post.
Funny thing about that was that I was acting like a douche in the thread at the time.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by GenLo

Wanted to publicly add, THANK YOU kosmicjack!

He should know why...

kj is a lady ...

I wonder if mods can un-applaud?

[edit on 21 Nov 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

mine looks like a mars bar. can't say i don't disagree with that now that i know what they are except i feel somewhat lessoned that i just got an applause for this topic and not one i actually put work in. still points are points and until i can spend them meaninglessly ill be grateful for whatever it is i receive them.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
kj is a lady ...

Ummmm........ typo?

Careful! I'm armed with a fork.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by GenLo

Wanted to publicly add, THANK YOU kosmicjack!

He should know why...

kj is a lady ...

That would be a heckle then i believe.

Incidentally i just got an applause. Thankyou AshleyD
x

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scooby Doo

In order to receive an applause, a post of yours must be worthy enough to receive one. And that is decided upon the staff member.

Which by definition doesn't mean that even if a post of yours is "worthy" it will get applause.
Let's be honest, it's more or less random, up to the personal like and dislikes of staff members.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I have noticed that my applause seem to come in waves. One month I'll get nothing then all of a sudden in a two week span I'll get like 6 0r 7 on different subjects

Anyhooo.
Welcome to ATS and simply be yourself when writing posts and replies.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Whilst we're on the subject I have two questions/ideas.

First, can the post that received the applause be marked in some way? This would be good to help demonstrate better to the community what sort of posts are considered applause worthy.

Second, is there anyway the users can applaud the mods? I think I'd like to return the favor.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seiko
Second, is there anyway the users can applaud the mods? I think I'd like to return the favor.

If you see a post by a staffer you can always shoot them a u2u with a link to the post and applaud them that way. That's what I do...... when I do it.
Yeah, I can be hard to impress.

Just checked the Log. 24 applause has already been given out today.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

applause by you or 24 general applause? Rumour has it.....

Should I post the other idea in the ats issue thread, or the what do you want to see thread?

Thank you for the idea, I think I will send a u2u.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

24 in general. Probably more if I checked again. We have some damn smart people here.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ethereal Gargoyle

It is, and it isn't... I applaud based largely upon how the post is written, the timeliness, whether it adds to the conversation in any fashion, and most importantly, speeling... Kidding on the spelling aspect. I never, or almost never, applaud based upon whether I agree with, or like, the member who posted. I think I've applauded as many members with whom I never agree, than I have those members with whom I agree quite often. A fifty-fifty split wouldn't surprise me at all.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

First, can the post that received the applause be marked in some way?

This has been discussed in the past, though not recently. The problem here is that it could invite all sorts of thread derailments from people who question why a certain post (or member) was applauded.

In addition, sometimes if I see someone helping a member or making a good argument over several posts in a thread I'll hit the applause on one of the posts to thank them for helping that member or helping them "deny ignorance". The particular post may not be applaud worthy but the overall effort in the thread is.

I have also applauded posts that made me laugh that others may not find funny. I have applauded posts of certain members who have a "reputation" of being closed minded on a topic for finally "seeing the light" so to speak.

In all those examples, I can imagine that a reader coming along would wonder why the post got applauded and cause drama over it. Sucks that we live in such a world but we do.

We have a rule among staff... while we need consensus for any disciplinary actions we are free to applaud who and what we like with no questions asked.

That kind of freedom could be lost if applause are made public.

[edit on 21 Nov 09 by Gools]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

In addition, sometimes if I see someone helping a member or making a good argument over several posts in a thread I'll hit the applause on one of the posts to thank them for helping that member out "denying ignorance". The particular post may not be applaud worthy but the overall effort in the thread is.

This explanation helps a lot, thank you.

That kind of freedom could be lost if applause are made public

edit: Again great point. I wasn't saying the mods name had to be attached though.

[edit on 21-11-2009 by Seiko]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I wasn't saying the mods name had to be attached though.

True but several years ago on the forum home page - where it lists who is currently logged on - we used to have a section that simply listed the names of members who had been applauded within the past 24 hours.

Certain members would actually whine about why such and such got an applause... sad eh?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Star Power

Some of the more cynical among us might say that the way to get applause is the exact opposite of the way to get stars and flags.

In other words, instead of playing on sensationalism and popular sentiments, just politely presenting a persuasive point of view and backing it up with facts.

Ironically enough, I can't say that's necessarily wrong.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Star Power

In other words, instead of playing on sensationalism and popular sentiments, just politely presenting a persuasive point of view and backing it up with facts.

Wait ... can't we do boths?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by GenLo
Thanks for sharing the knowledge and answers and...

wait...

Did I just get applauded?

For this thread???
Dear me, why on Earth... oh its cyberspace. Guess I should just let it happen.

Well only 3000 to go then I get to violate the private area... O_o

Whatever you do, DON'T go near the Private area

It's creepy in there, loads of feet up on the tables waiting to be rubbed

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Well i all tha applause i have received have been from posting original thought or something that settled a little debate without question. I managed to get quite a few in my short time here so just post something original, read the thread and THEN post.
You will not get crap for posting exactly what everyone else has been saying for 3 pages.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I care not for applauses, and seem to get more satisfaction out of losing ats points. I guess I'm just a bad guy. I've totally trashed multiple people in this forum to the point of almost getting banned. Sorry i think its more fun to totally make fools of people who have it coming than try and impress the mods. If I could give applauses it would be to people who thoroughly annihilate our less intelligent members in threads. I think that requires a certain amount of skill and effort so why not. Denying ignorance is fine, but I prefer to rip it apart burn it and shoot the ashes to the moon.

um....I'm banned now aren't I?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join