It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intel: Chips in brains will control computers by 2020

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

By the year 2020, you won't need a keyboard and mouse to control your computer, say Intel Corp. researchers. Instead, users will open documents and surf the Web using nothing more than their brain waves.

Scientists at Intel's research lab in Pittsburgh are working to find ways to read and harness human brain waves so they can be used to operate computers, television sets and cell phones. The brain waves would be harnessed with Intel-developed sensors implanted in people's brains.
source

So, what do you make of this?

Seems to me that we're slowly being acclimated to the idea of having electronic implants put into us. They're marketing this as some kind of sunshine-and-lolly-pops, miracle technology that we should all be looking forward to.

I disagree.

TA

[edit on 19-11-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I also disagree.

Who knows what kind of subliminal stuff they could put into your brain. that's ridiculous

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Dave157

This type of technology does seem alarmingly open to abuse.

I can see how it might be advantageous to someone with a medical condition that prevents them from communicating through 'normal' means, but there is no way I would make use of this technology as an able bodied person.

TA

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Outside of medical necessity I am against cybernetics being incorporated into the human body. Convenience is not worth this price.

It does seem a logical step to some, but I'll again opt out of the latest gadget myself should this ever actually happen.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I do not agree. Just something else the government could use to control us, and our thoughts. What is the problem with us using our HANDS to PICK UP our cell phones, to TYPE out our words on the computer, and too CLICK our mouses to open things.

I like the subliminal message thing too. You never know what kind of stuff they can try on us!

AINT HAPPENIN

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
We are the borg 2.0

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate

By the year 2020, you won't need a keyboard and mouse to control your computer, say Intel Corp. researchers. Instead, users will open documents and surf the Web using nothing more than their brain waves.

Scientists at Intel's research lab in Pittsburgh are working to find ways to read and harness human brain waves so they can be used to operate computers, television sets and cell phones. The brain waves would be harnessed with Intel-developed sensors implanted in people's brains.
source

So, what do you make of this?

Seems to me that we're slowly being acclimated to the idea of having electronic implants put into us. They're marketing this as some kind of sunshine-and-lolly-pops, miracle technology that we should all be looking forward to.

I disagree.

TA

I find it curious the absolute stonewall lack of trust in anything nowadays,I wont say I'm innocent myself but finger pointing at every opportunity that comes along and screaming enemy will get us nowhere, I say give it a chance, not necessarily run out and get the first batch available but keep an open mind towards progress please. It's like Big PHARMA, point fingers and scream devil, and while yes there is truth to your judgment in the sense that they Overprice medication and possibly distribute harmful medication to the general public, there is also good to be found. Some people wake up every day thankful for the medication that keeps them alive in this world.
Just wait and see what comes.

...or, you know.
FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! FEAR!

Just keep spreading it around.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by RjKon

lol You sir, have the heart of a poet.

I don't disagree with having brain implants to make technology more useful, and most probably advance. I do disagree with the potential problems that could arise from it, but, ya know what? There's risks in everything. So, please everyone, stop worrying so much, I'm sure it wont be a mandatory "upgrade".

An Iphone costs what, £400-£500 now? This brain implant will be at least that or more, so, only the lucky ones with money to throw around will get it

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by RjKon
keep an open mind

Haha, don't know if that was an intended pun or not but I enjoyed it.. To address the issue; I have mixed feelings when it comes to tampering with the human mind and technology implanted in people. On one hand, I am a big fan of technological advances and think this could have some great applications. On the other, I don't really want anybody messing with my brain, regardless of their intentions. Hopefully when this technology becomes available there would be some way to use it externally like a headband or something of the sort.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

Outside of medical necessity I am against cybernetics being incorporated into the human body. Convenience is not worth this price.

Agreed, 100%.

reply to post by capgirl

Just something else the government could use to control us

My thoughts, exactly.

The government doesn't exactly have a spotless track record when it comes to attempts at mind control (search "MK-Ultra"), and I don't trust them with this kind of power at their disposal. It's too much power in the hands of people who have proven themselves untrustworthy time and time again.

TA

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
And by year 2000 I was promised flying cars... another empty promise?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alesanjin
reply to post by RjKon

lol You sir, have the heart of a poet.

I don't disagree with having brain implants to make technology more useful, and most probably advance. I do disagree with the potential problems that could arise from it, but, ya know what? There's risks in everything. So, please everyone, stop worrying so much, I'm sure it wont be a mandatory "upgrade".

An Iphone costs what, £400-£500 now? This brain implant will be at least that or more, so, only the lucky ones with money to throw around will get it

Thank you for helping bring reason to this thread.
But I must ask, what leads you on to say that I have the heart of a poet? Not that you're in the wrong in assuming so, i'm actually rather flattered by this observation

And as for back on topic, I'm assuming that once the technology is viable and commercially available to the public for general use, not only will it's implications be far more widespread than just simple mouse and keyboard operations but i'm sure that they will have some form where you don't have to get a lobotomy and a chip literally inside your brain, perhaps a headset that you could elect to wear when it suited you. Not much use in programming the masses if they aren't connected. Besides I see it more as an outward tool, where your brain provides an instrument with an output and somewhere connected to whatever device you're willing your mind to use has an input. Although downloading your favorite songs straight to memory might be nice

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der
And by year 2000 I was promised flying cars... another empty promise?

en.wikipedia.org...

The first flying car to actually fly was built by Waldo Waterman. Waterman was associated with Curtiss while Curtiss was pioneering naval aviation at North Island on San Diego Bay in the 1910s. On March 21, 1937, Waterman's Aerobile first took to the air.

Actually they we're almost 60 years ahead of schedule it seems? Just looks as if most of them are
a. Expensive
b. Deadly
Do you remember how hard it was learning to drive a car the first time? God forbid it was a standard. Now imagine trying to learn bringing that to flight

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Just something else the government could use to control us

My thoughts, exactly.

The government doesn't exactly have a spotless track record when it comes to attempts at mind control (search "MK-Ultra"), and I don't trust them with this kind of power at their disposal. It's too much power in the hands of people who have proven themselves untrustworthy time and time again.

TA

Agreed

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by RjKon

Haha, I was referring to your almost abusive use of "FEAR!" over and over again
It represented the displayed mood, and opinions of almost everyone posting in this thread nicely

Considering that we're all speculating, and don't know any facts on this future device, it's probably safe to say that it will be primitive when it first comes out. I think what most of you are scared of, and myself partly, is that they'd somehow be able to control you. It's much more likely that it'll just read the tiny waves coming from your brain, and translate it into whatever the device needs to operate. To do that, they no doubt will need to practice enormously to get it right.

I'm thinking that if we get something that useful, which could be used in emergency situations too, it'll be a good thing. Just think of how useful it'd be to people in earthquake hot zones, that are trapped under a building, presumably from the result of an earthquake, or maybe a fire if you want to use your imagination a little. All you have to do is think, to send a signal, rather than scream and shout and waste energy.

Still, there are potential problems, but it's better to look at the positive for the time being, rather than focusing on the negative and expecting it.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Good luck trying to find a job without having the Intel Cranium. Manual computer operation is too inefficient and you'll be cast out of the workforce.

The real cool stuff is full integration, when a chip is attached and you begin to exist in the chip without even realizing it.. then you can be moved to a cybernetic body, etc.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
With a chip brain interface you could sort of cheat time...I think.
It's kinda weird...1 hour worth of experience inside a vr world could translate to only 1 minute of time passed in the real world.
It has something to do with how you experience information being sped up(?). There is a Google video I saw about this somewhere...

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Firestorm

I think I see what you mean. Kind of like how you can fall asleep and have a dream that seems like it lasts for hours, only to wake up and find that only a minute or two has passed. Interesting theory

TA

Edit:

There's a movie called Strange Days that deals with that subject. It's worth a watch. Thanks and star for a courteous and interesting reply.

[edit on 20-11-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I don't think it has anything to do with fear, it's just basic common sense.

When they are talking about putting a chip in your brai, it's smart to ask about the pros and cons.

Can a hacker hack into your brain and control your thoughts or control your body movement?

I was watching the Science Channel yesterday and there was this guy in Europe who was trying to warn Parliament about blue tooth technology.

Through his laptop, this guy could scan the area for phones using blue tooth and he could take over the phone from his computer. He could make calls, look at peoples phone book and turn their phones into a listening device so he can hear what's going on in the room.

Obviously, this will be a wireless connection. So you have to ask these questions.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

I don't think it has anything to do with fear, it's just basic common sense.

Precisely, and well stated.

I often think people respond to threads, taking the opposing stance to the poster, whether they actually believe it or not, just to have an excuse to flame someone. It's sad, really.

Thanks and star for the reply, insight, and the heads up about the blue-tooth hackers.

TA

[edit on 20-11-2009 by TheAssociate]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join