It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vanity, a Deadly Sin. Cosmetic Industry Global Toxic agenda and Slave network

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I am a guy so I don't have to worry about make up thankfully but I do avoid ice cream for these reasons

www.naturalnews.com...

Some pretty frightening sounding chemicals like caroxymethyl cellulose, butyraldehyde, and amyl acetate are additives in some commercial ice creams. How about some diethyl glycol -- a cheap chemical used to take the place of eggs, which is also used in anti-freeze and paint removers.

Aldehyde C-17, flavoring for cherry ice cream, is an inflammable liquid used in dyes, plastics, and rubber. Piperonal, used in place of vanilla, is a lice killer. Ethyl Acetate, a pineapple flavor, can also clean leather and textiles.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Wow Zaz, Great, Great thread!

I was absolutely shocked when I read your thread, especially the part about the human fat and organs being used! That sounds like things you would see in gory horror movies
I just can't believe it!

But it's a good thing you've posted this. We spend way too much money on looking pretty.

I have recently stopped wearing make-up, only using blush and lip ice! I have dark hair so no need for mascara.

Although, I have switched from store products to a natural product called 'Aloe Ferox' It's supposed to be all natural, but I noticed the face wash contains Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Sodium Laureth Ether Sulphate, umong other ingredients. Holy crap it's supposed to be a natural product?!

Now I'm worried, I have the complete skin care range, as well as 6 bottles of vitamins. What now?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Glad to see mention about Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and its dangers.

My young adult son was having problems with recurring canker sores in the palatal area of his mouth. It was brought to my attention that SLS in toothpaste is a known irritant and that he should refrain from using oral care products that contain it.

Finding a brand without it was no easy task. Many of the so called 'natural' toothpastes contain it. I am paying through the nose for a less toxic toothpaste, but it has yielded positive results for my son. I have likewise switched to using this safer brand myself and am more conscious of any products containing this harmful chemical.

I eschew the use of cosmetics in general over concerns for the damage it might do to the skin. If someone doesn't like the fact that I'm not wearing makeup or has a problem with the fact that I refuse to colour my hair in spite of having gone grey early, too bad.

Our focus should be on healthy daily hygiene that doesn't reward the bottom line of unscrupulous cosmetic manufacturers.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Hon, one thing that people have no clue about is the toothpaste we used everyday in our lives.

Since the toothpaste came to be people have been growing increasingly with all kind of problems, yes we are a nation that most people show a beautiful and perfect smile compare to other nations but we suffer from more halitosis and bad breath than others with less desirable looking smile.

The toothpaste, mouth wash, breath mints and everything with additives to help people "think" that they have fresh and minty breath is nothing but a scam.

I started to suffer from problems with bad breath for years no matter how much I mouth washed my mouth, my dentist keep telling me that my teeth were perfect and clean.

I got rid of it in a matter of a week after changing my entire brand of toothpaste and mouth wash to a organic brand, one thing the organic brand doesn't have is the suds that regular toothpaste have is completely bland and even mildly salty in taste, even my husband was amazed and now is using the same brand.

Incredible.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Great thread. S & F!

Although, I think trying to tell most of the population of young women not to use make-up is nearly impossible. The T.V. is to blame for luring these girls into a false reality of perfection at a young age.

All I see and hear today is based purely on looks.
Who can have the white-est teeth.
Who can have the tannest skin.
Who can have the most make-up caked on...
"Who cares whats in it? As long as I look pretty." (like the celebs on tv)

The funny thing is, the girls I know wouldn't go one day without it.

Vanity will be the death of millions, not the (swine) flu.
Ahh to be vain!

Great information.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I've been fighting the battle against toxic or animal tested cosmetics for a long time now. One thing i discovered is that in the end you don't have to give up that much. I've found brands that are organic, that are paraben, sodium lauryl sulfate and silicon compounds free and that aren't even more expensive than regular cosmetics.

Also a few tips, from my own experience:

-while i can't personally give up shampoo (i have long, straight hair and it would just look and feel nasty) you can reduce the quantity that you use. Only your scalp needs shampooing, doing it to your tips will destroy your hair over time and no amount of conditioner will fix it. Less is more in this case.

-i don't care what your shower gel bottle says, it is NOT gentle on your skin. A natural, organic, with fewer ingredients (and a little more expensive) soap is far better for your skin and for the environment.

-some things you can give up buying altogether. Like face and hair masks, and face and body scrubs. The natural alternatives that you can make with stuff from your fridge and cupboard are far, far better than any of the stuff you can buy. Anyone interested, feel free to u2u me for details, or simply google it.

-chemical hair dyes are useless. Your natural hair colour will always look better than anything coming from a bottle. If you have grey hair (thank god, i don't yet) there are natural alternatives, like henna, that are actually good for your hair.

-antiperspirants are evil, that's all i can say. Choose a simple deo, without aluminium compounds.

I'm not a complete tree hugger hippy, i am as vain as the next person i guess, but i didn't have to give up anything, bottom line is, there are enough alternatives.

[edit on 20-11-2009 by Wallachian]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
So we have any companies that are relatively cheap, US made shampoo thats safe from these chemicals 9for US people) or the Euro ones made for Euro people? or Euro products for Americans etc

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by illusions
There are actually many natural alternatives to using toxic manufactured cosmetics.
[edit on 20-11-2009 by illusions]

I've been trying very hard this year to stop using so many products that contain harmful chemicals. I'm trying to use basic ingredients. My kids are ok with it, but my husband is the big resister.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I too would like to know which UK products I can purchase which do not contain these chemicals.

I have been using the same brand of shower gel since I was young and I have suffered from very bad acne for around 18 years. The shower gel does contain SLS and a whole host of other chemicals. Im now wondering if this could be the cause.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Just to inject the most tiny bit of common sense into this thread....

Would everyone please read the original post again.

Note how the article contains many many scary words but neglects to ever mention the amount of chemical being talked about in the product? This is a common trick in "anti-" to scare the public into supporting bans. There are "anti" groups who have vowed to destroy the cosmetics industry for whatever reason.

This is how the campaign goes...

1 Identify any substances, no matter how minute the quantity which may be associated with toxic products. Ie Propylene Glycol ...its anti-freeze and its toxic. Anti-freeze is about 30 to 50 % Propylene Glycol. Of couse it is toxic but how much Propylene Glycol is in make-up. There is a safe level of exposure to everything. There is a very old maxim...the dose makes poison.

2. Demand labelling to "warn" the public.

3. Explain that the product has no redeeming benefit.

4. Hold the industry up for blackmail. Sue them in court. Demand laws that ensure your "grass roots" campaign has secure funding for the "public good"
Invest heavily in competing products that you can endorse.

5. Lobby your local politician - get bans in place so that everyone has no choice but to follow your dictates on what products to use.

6. Destroy the entire industry - sit back and count the money. Ignore the ranks of the previously employed.

7. Find another industry and start again.

Now the question is ...the "grass roots" anti has a vested interest in making you afraid. Your fear is worth money! But what is your interest in the matter? If you are truly concerned, I encourage you to do your own research.

People - at least demand to know what concentration of these "dangerous chemicals" are being talked about and then compare that concentration with established by science.

Remember - carcinogens are ubiquitous to the environment. Go to the most pristine place in the world and I guantee, you will find carcinogens. Even pine trees emit turpines and forest fires generate dioxins and furans.

Tired of control Freaks.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

But why do these products need this many chemicals in them? Cant they just use natural stuff?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Wallachian

Yes, shampoos can be organic they just don't produce the same suds like another brands, I suffer from premature white hair, is genetics I had white hair since childhood is only in my mother side of the family, so Henna is my favorite hair coloring, but no all Hennas are similar only imported highest quality Henna that has to be mixed with other herbs for color variation are safe.

And yes is we all trying to eat organic why no organic all over from head to toe.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Beauty stuff YAY! I am a self professed beauty junkie!!

My best advice is educate yourself. Read up on ingredients and find a reputable beauty forum. You will be amazed on how well informed posters are. And they give great feedback on products. And I do have to caution, you sometimes do have to read between the lines of the site offering information on the dangers of products. Some are good and informative, some are more polictically driven. And sadly some are actually driven by "Scare tactics". Read up on ingredients, educate yourself and read labels!!

Some people have problems with 'cones' in products, some can use them with out any skin irritation or breaking out. Some people are choosing to move away from parabeans in products. And laurates are a whole other thread. So much information out there, best to educate yourself and know your body and skin well enough to weigh the pros and cons of things.

And sometimes natural products can irritate your skin. You just really have to know what your skin can handle and what will irritate it. Sometimes it could just be a slight stinging, other times, worse, many ingredients are fine, but you almost have to play to find out what you can handle.

The good news is, more and more companies are getting attention that do offer organic, or more natural options. Many companies offer a great line up of products head to toe. And many sites offer reviews on products.

Armed with good information, knowing ingredient decks, and some common since, you will be fine navigating beauty products.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Wallachian

Wallenchain, have you tried a condtioner only wash? You use it like a shampoo (no suds though) and massage your scalp and bring the product down through your hair. Make sure to rinse, rinse and rinse some more. It might take a few trial and errors attempts but many rave about this. The good thing is, you can use any conditioner you like for this method. I do this method about once a week, but my hair needs some suds most days.

I am not sure where you live, but many rave about WEN products or Hair One (much more affordable version). And if you live in the States, Sally's Beauty has a great line up of products.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by tigermoff
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

But why do these products need this many chemicals in them? Cant they just use natural stuff?

Sadly sometimes more natural products don't always work for your needs. Don't let this scare you off of products. Many good ones out there. And if you have a worry about an ingredient, read labels and choose an option that doesn't contain it/them.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Many years ago when I was a student and in the old East Germany, I got a real culture shock when I returned to the UK. Make up was sparingly used where I was studying and when I got back, it seemed I was surrounded by a sea of horrible painted faces. We were the ugly ones.. The effect soon wore off though. It just shows how conditioned we are by the norm of the place. The saving grace for women however is that if you want to convince your boss that you are ill, just go without the blusher and the 'under eye shadows' concealer!
But I did have a colleague who never wore make up and everyone got used to it. Then one day she wore some and looked ghastly.

Anyhow these are things that work for me - as much from a money saving idea as anything else.
Toner made from witch hazel and water/rose water
Body scrub from oatmeal or coffee grounds.
Body moisturiser from (untoasted) sesame oil, almond oil or coconut oil.

I also buy budget shower gel (sorry, not free of nasties) and add almond oil and essential oil.

I use essential oil as scent or drop in bath. I actually have to be careful with the latter method and one particular oil, as your skin exudes the scent during the day and it does seem to get guys interested when you don't want it!
I buy rock crystal deodorant to avoid aluminium. It lasts for ages.
I brush teeth with bicarbonate of soda.
You can use simple salt water as a mouthwash for gum infections.

Just money saving: You can melt down old lipstick and blend with almond oil to use as blusher.

[edit on 20-11-2009 by unicorn1]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Wow! Peruvian makeup certainly has some interesting "natural ingredients"

Newb here so I hope I inserted that link correctly above.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by unicorn1

I use essential oil as scent or drop in bath. I actually have to be careful with the latter method and one particular oil, as your skin exudes the scent during the day and it does seem to get guys interested when you don't want it!
[edit on 20-11-2009 by unicorn1]

Great tips! Thanks for sharing!

Would you mind sharing which essential oil you use that creates all the attention?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
[edit on 20-11-2009 by OverSword]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I had read in the past that most cosmetics contain heavy metals and carcinogens. I was, however, unaware of the all the other misdeeds taking place in the cosmetic industry. Excellent Research OP. I plan on showing this to the women around my life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join