It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mad science? Growing meat without animals

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Didn't Sir Francis Bacon prophesize this in The New Atlantis? I'm lazy and haven't read it but some who did said it included something about meat puree drinks.

I don't know. It just doesn't taste the same unless you know it twitched of its own freewill. If it didn't have a face, no sale!

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Actually this did come out last year.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Of course I don’t recall them going all forms of meat at that time. I guess they just opened up to a wider market though.

I love meats but I don’t think I can do lab grown stuff. It seems strange.

Okay so it would not have disease or anything like that, well supposedly. But I would rather have the real stuff myself.

Raist

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I just found out about this, but for those interested they serve up boiled baby in China, about $ 4000.00 a pop, but you would be helping the unemployed.
Here is link from ATS for those who have not seen it, have at it, tastee or tasteless.www.click.ro...

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I'm all for it. I could use the artificial human meat in a satanic ritual!

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

I just looked for that article at the Seoul Times. Couldn't find it. One major discrepancy is that the Seoul Times does not need to be translated into English. It is written in English, and not Korean.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Did you look a the pictures, they sure looked real to me.
I don't know where that really came from, but that other print on page looks Russian to me?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Im a meat lover. I dont think I would be able to eat meat that was grown in a lab. I mean just thinking about it brings up so many questions. I mean whats the texture like and the taste. Would it have a difference, like the taste/texture difference between real cheese and the power stuff. Also, what else are they putting in this lab meat. I would think this gives them an opportunity to add all sorts of chemicals to the mix. Plus shouldn't they be using the tech to grow meat, to help research on regrowing lost limbs and stuff?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Reply to post by tamusan

I am upgrading my computer right now, and have to use a mobile device. I can't look at the website easily. The pictures did look real, but I've seen many pictures that look real and are not. The picture said it was translated from an article in the Seoul times. When my pc is usable again, I will take another look. That should be in the early evening.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Topsy_Cret

I don't see why someone would prefer to eat the real thing if the grown meat was identical in every way and less risky to eat.

Obviously we're a long way from this being a reality, but I think it's a step in the right direction.

My question is: how would it taste? The taste of something like beef depends on many factors like what food the cow ate for example. Maybe they could make all grown beef taste like Japanese Kobe beef.

Interesting stuff. I wonder how many years off we are from this and other advances like growing new organs for ourselves.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This is basically discussing in vitro meat, here's an article detailing potential benefits of using that, it discusses how it will change things for us, I'm a little uneasy about the chemicals but it actually seems like a good idea, and I'm all for trying exotic meats, especially if it means no animal is killed.

In vitro meat

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
anyone who eats at kfc is already eating synthetic meat.
cant prove it, but if i were a betting man i would put my money on most major fast foos using some sort of synthetic meat for the last few years.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
So, we will start to make plants out of meat but what about making animals out of vegetables? Will the vegans eat them?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I like my food natural and organic. Processed foods are killing us. Genetically altered veggies have less vitamins, ect. Nothing like the real thing, baby.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Actually I could see the market for cultured human meat. The proteins in your human meal would be the closest to what you actually need to build and repair your own tissues.

They could market it as the ultimate health food.

(Now where can I go to sick up.)

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
That same idea crossed my mind. How many people would taste lab grown human flesh and wonder how it compares?
[edit on 19-11-2009 by tamusan]

Hah. Well while it may sorta gross me out a little bit and i know it wouldn't be good fo rhte human race to eat thier own flesh, I would be one who may try it at tleast once. I wouldn't buy it after the one time though. It of course would have to ge grown ina lab though ahahah

anyways. Those faces are what i feel about the subject matter. Anything else grown in a lab would be fine to me, as long as they aren't genetically modified. I wont eat genetically modified meat. Lab grown sure. Genetically modified... I highly doubt i would touch it.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Fast food is still made from animal meat , artificially
accelerated growth.

Human artificial meat ?[1984]?
No way !
I'd be worried it was labelled "artificial" , but wasn't !

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

I wont eat genetically modified meat. Lab grown sure.

I find it very interesting that you can separate the 2. In my mind, something that is grown in a lab, and not as nature intended, would be considered genetically modified. At certain points in the process the building blocks of your steak would be much different than it would be if it was grown on the cow.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by radarloveguy

?[1984]?

Synthetic food does scream that out loud doesn't it. I also thought of soylent green.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

I looked more closely at that website. The page itself is in Romanian. My first thought is why do they have to show a screen shot of the news article and not a link. My next thought is that the Seoul Times is an English language newspaper. The beginning of the video shows "Translated Text" at the start of the film. I looked at a dozen articles on the Seoul Times website and did not see one that stated "Translated Text". All of their articles are originally in English. The photographs do look real, but I do not believe they were ever published in the Seoul Times.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan

I wont eat genetically modified meat. Lab grown sure.

I find it very interesting that you can separate the 2. In my mind, something that is grown in a lab, and not as nature intended, would be considered genetically modified. At certain points in the process the building blocks of your steak would be much different than it would be if it was grown on the cow.

How so? Genetically modified means that the GENES have been modified. The DNA have been modified. Lab grown means grown as nature intended except in a lab. No genetic changes have been made except no animal. Genetically they are the same. Except the meat is produced differently. The "meat" thinks its growing in a live organism, not a lab as the reproduction process it knows is still intact. The genes havn't been meddled with to protect itself from "diseases and pests" like geneticaly modifed corn, etc...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join