It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

dont buy fur from china

page: 3
12
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Who's actually keeping the fur industry kept afloat these days? Are the chinese partial to animal fur?

It is quite funny that people disagree with the use of animal fur... but leather is okay. 10/10 for logic!




posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle
 


What about feathers?
What about bone jewelry?
What about products that are inedible but that contain gelatin?
What about all of these:

www.vegfamily.com...


If you're going to be consistent, be vegan.

I'm not vegan.


But for the record, I do not use products from the rainforest or eat meat that has been farmed there. I do not wear fur, I only wear leather made from friends who use the entire animal when they slaughter it. I eat free range and local meats and poultry.

[edit on 11/20/2009 by ravenshadow13]



posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by Bluebelle
 


What about feathers?
What about bone jewelry?
What about products that are inedible but that contain gelatin?
What about all of these:

www.vegfamily.com...


If you're going to be consistent, be vegan.

I'm not vegan.


But for the record, I do not use products from the rainforest or eat meat that has been farmed there. I do not wear fur, I only wear leather made from friends who use the entire animal when they slaughter it. I eat free range and local meats and poultry.

[edit on 11/20/2009 by ravenshadow13]


Well exactly... seems a little odd for people to be disgusted by fur, but conveniantly ignore the one's that would be more difficult to remove from their lives.



posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle
 


I'm perfectly fine with fur that comes from animals when other parts of the body have been used.

Period.


But, I mean, come on. It's the skin of another animal. Isn't that a tad primal? Isn't it even more primal if you kill the animal JUST for the skin?

Sheesh, next thing you know people will support the murder of whales because blubber rocks in lipstick.


There are people who still go around hunting tigers for there pelts. There are less tigers in the wild than people in my high school.

That's a problem.



posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluebelle
It is quite funny that people disagree with the use of animal fur... but leather is okay. 10/10 for logic!


Fur is not a by-product of the meat trade and because I eat meat, but despise cruelty towards animals I must have faulty logic?

Leather is a by-product of a vast meat industry that in the west does not involve dropping a cow to its death from a great height or boiling said cow to death in oil until the skin comes off.

I use leather but I do not use anything with gelatin in it because I am very particular about what I eat. There is no faulty logic in my choice to boycott a nation that tortures animals to death.

10/10 for your improper use of logic!

[edit on 20-11-2009 by SmokeJaguar67]



posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluebelle
Who's actually keeping the fur industry kept afloat these days? Are the chinese partial to animal fur?

It is quite funny that people disagree with the use of animal fur... but leather is okay. 10/10 for logic!


My answer would be the fashion industry keeps the fur industry going.



posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Well, it's sad that they're killing these animals, but people gotta do what they've gotta do to survive or make a living. The U.S really has no right to tell anyone anything, considering its stance on global warming. Not only can they call us hypocrites for eating meat, but they can go as far as to say, maybe if you stop driving and invading other nations, then we'll stop killing the animals.

Furthermore, let's not judge those who have basically been our indirect slaves(including the Japanese who eat dolphins) by allowing us to borrow money so that we can live on a comfortable lifestyle on debts and credits, and be cudly with dogs and cats. In a way, if you want them to make your shoes for cheap, then you gotta expect certain "uncivilized" behavior. If you don't like it, then make the shoes yourselves

It all comes back to overpopulation really. Every time someone is born, nature has to pay.

[edit on 20-11-2009 by np6888]



posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tensetek
 


your babies are dogs and cats?



posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeJaguar67

Originally posted by Bluebelle
It is quite funny that people disagree with the use of animal fur... but leather is okay. 10/10 for logic!


Fur is not a by-product of the meat trade and because I eat meat, but despise cruelty towards animals I must have faulty logic?

Leather is a by-product of a vast meat industry that in the west does not involve dropping a cow to its death from a great height or boiling said cow to death in oil until the skin comes off.

I use leather but I do not use anything with gelatin in it because I am very particular about what I eat. There is no faulty logic in my choice to boycott a nation that tortures animals to death.

10/10 for your improper use of logic!

[edit on 20-11-2009 by SmokeJaguar67]


Cruelty is wrong yes, but cruelty in the way animals are slaughtered isnt confined to the fur industry, and not just in china. You'll probably be boycotting your own country if your grounds for doing it are based on that.

I just dont see that it makes it more morally correct to kill an animal for 3 uses instead of 1. Its still a animal being killed for products that we dont actually need. There is a demand for those things, but they could be phased out and switched for alternatives that dont include electrocuting, cutting throats & whatever else of animals.

I suppose china could always argue that the use of dog fur is a by-product seeing as they use dog in some of their dishes though.



posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth
 


Really? Ive seen the odd article bashing some designers for using fur one or two times.. didnt think they would be the source of the demand though.



posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoyalCanadian
reply to post by tensetek
 


your babies are dogs and cats?


So are mine.My "babies" are cats,three of them! Anyone tries making
a fur coat out of them,has to get by me first!



posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle
 


From what I can remember,fur was used to line gloves,boots,coats and
make toys.I heard about this fur trade a year or two ago.



posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I don't see why people cry so much over animals.

I hate it when i see someone donate money to an animal charity when there's a homeless person just down the street.

Why do you care so much about one form of animal but will happily live the same in every aspect.

Either go whole hog and live in a man made mud hut growing fruit and veg or shut up. Coming on the internet from your house, using electricity etc is such a contradiction.



posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
I started the video and as soon as I saw it was PETA propaganda I shut it off.

This is an organization that distributes leaflets to children telling them that their mother is a murderer. I don't trust anything they put out.


Some people are so tied up in this anti-PETA thing that you can't even see the real problem here. There are other organisations who are working to save the animals caught up in the China fur trade that aren't as extreme as PETA.

I can't watch the video because these things make me depressed for days. I have seen similar footage before though, of dogs and cats cramped into cages, thrown off trucks and then skinned alive. In that movie Earthlings there is a clip of a skinned animal (not sure what type, raccoon dog maybe?) and it is still alive after it has been dumped on the pile of other dead and dying animals. All it has left is it's eyelashes and it uses all the effort it has left to turn it's head an look at the camera. I'm pretty sure that piece is shown in the trailer.

But it's not just China that is guilty, that movie also covers the European fur trade. It shows wolf cubs killed for their fur, some of them are stood on by the workers to suffocate them. While this is happening there is blood gushing from the animal's mouth. They are just more secretive about it so not many people are aware of what is going on.

Seeing people wearing fur coats makes me sick to my stomach. Those people are as bad as the workers who kill these animals.

I don't think this holocaust is going to stop anytime soon and I don't believe the human race has a future if this is to carry on. Makes me feel sick knowing that I can't do anything that will impact what they do, apart from boycotting.


Originally posted by FAQAmerica
I don't see why people cry so much over animals.

I hate it when i see someone donate money to an animal charity when there's a homeless person just down the street.

Why do you care so much about one form of animal but will happily live the same in every aspect.

Either go whole hog and live in a man made mud hut growing fruit and veg or shut up. Coming on the internet from your house, using electricity etc is such a contradiction.


Animals are helpless. People are often homeless because of their own mistakes, that is why I have more sympathy for animals.

By the way, your post makes no sense. Why should people interested in animal welfare go live in a mud hud? It's not global warming we're talking about here.

R.I.P. all the innocent animals that have died and will die.

[edit on 20/11/09 by dmorgan]



posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle
 


It is, in my mind, more morally acceptable to kill one animal for meat, leather, and bones instead of killing three animals: one for meat, one for leather, and one for bones and disposing all the parts that you aren't specifically using.

But, like all things, this is but a matter of opinion.



posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
This is interesting. Is it safe to buy ANYTHING from China anymore? I bought my kids some plastic easter eggs and had to throw them away when I saw they contained lead and were made in China. ARRGH!!!



posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by Bluebelle
 


It is, in my mind, more morally acceptable to kill one animal for meat, leather, and bones instead of killing three animals: one for meat, one for leather, and one for bones and disposing all the parts that you aren't specifically using.

But, like all things, this is but a matter of opinion.


I could understand it from a point of view as it being better due to less waste being generated... but I dont see the logic in complete opposition of something because we only get 1 product from it, versus it becoming totally acceptable because we get 2/3/4 products from the animal.
Obviously these animals that are being used for their fur are subjected to a pretty horrific form of cruelty, but as Ive said in another post, cruelty occurs throughout industries that involve animals being slaughtered. Its just this is one of the more shocking forms of it.

On some level even if an animal is slaughtered in a quick, relatively painless way its still cruel to bring an animal into the world that is never going to have any sort of freedom or be able to live its life. We could switch to alternatives that would massively reduce animals having to be bred for meat etc, but we dont. But like you say, its one of those things where its a matter of opinion!



posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle
 



Firstly I would like to apologise to you for my terse tone, I had tried to look again at the video on page one and the images were uppermost and spilling around in my mind when I chose your post to respond to.


Originally posted by Bluebelle
Cruelty is wrong yes, but cruelty in the way animals are slaughtered isnt confined to the fur industry, and not just in china. You'll probably be boycotting your own country if your grounds for doing it are based on that.


I am not aware of cruelty in dispatching animals for the meat trade in my country but if there was suddenly an expose' in my country regarding farm animals then you can be sure I would be boycotting.


Originally posted by Bluebelle
I just dont see that it makes it more morally correct to kill an animal for 3 uses instead of 1. Its still a animal being killed for products that we dont actually need. There is a demand for those things, but they could be phased out and switched for alternatives that dont include electrocuting, cutting throats & whatever else of animals.


Actually think that is a valid point and I could not in good faith argue against it because I totally agree with you on those points. It is a hypocritical world we live in and it is too easy to lose a sense of equilibrium because the rules involved with meat and its by-products are as convoluted as a Gordian knot. If I could be a stronger person and become a vegan or a vegetarian I would do so but I am of an athletic mindset so after a long workout I crave meat like a man possessed.


Originally posted by Bluebelle
I suppose china could always argue that the use of dog fur is a by-product seeing as they use dog in some of their dishes though.


They could do that yes but if they can look into a dogs eyes and seriously think that is a valid argument then my assessment of their attitude to animal life stands and would be confirmed by such a statement.



posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluebelle

On some level even if an animal is slaughtered in a quick, relatively painless way its still cruel to bring an animal into the world that is never going to have any sort of freedom or be able to live its life. We could switch to alternatives that would massively reduce animals having to be bred for meat etc, but we dont. But like you say, its one of those things where its a matter of opinion!


This is where I stand on the matter. Even if the death is quick and painless, it's still not right to breed animals just so they can be killed and used as a resource for humans. It isn't needed at all.

The animal could be killed halal style, electrocuted or shot - it's why we're doing it that is the root of the problem.



posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67
 


Well, if you're classing your country as being the UK and not scotland, then here's a youtube video of it happening..

www.youtube.com...

And yes with regards to giving up meat, Id never be able to do it! Its probably highly immoral of me not to, but I live with it. People should be fully aware though of where their meat is coming from and that regulations arent always followed... and that the cruelty isnt just reserved for the cute fluffy animals.

China just have such a ridiculously different attitude towards animals then we do, I think. A couple of years ago there was some sort of documentary on where this guy was in a chinese restaurant and the chef skinned a snake alive in front of everyone (that carried on wriggling around for a while) which he then cooked... and everyone just watched him delight like children would watch a magician. Complete madness.



new topics

top topics



 
12
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join