It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The Senate Health Care Bill Cost: 27,387 per person!

page: 1
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

The Senate Health Care Bill Cost: 27,387 per person!


www.npr.org

The Congressional Budget Office estimated that the bill, which merges versions produced earlier by two committees, would cost $849 billion...
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I just wanted to post this because I'm sitting here totally amazed that something like this is about to happen. I took the above $849 billion amount and divided it by 31 million that will be covered by the bill...and low and behold it came to $27,387 dollars per person! OMG I pay nearly $1000 a month for me and my family for a private insurance policy...wouldnt it seem at least a bit more logical to simply give these people $1000 a month ($12,000 a year) to go out and pay some private established insurance company to get coverage, instead of totally remaking the entire industry? If we did that, logic would then say we could at least save $15,000 or so per year per person! Oh but that would be too easy and not fit into the plans our President has to recreate a new and more powerful government run enterprise!


www.npr.org
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Don't you love the word "estimated."



I wish I could find a site showing all the estimations the government has done the last five years just to see how many times they were even remotely close to what they estimated.

Estimated means it will ultimately cost more than the price we were told in the first place.

There isn't one line in that bill guaranteeing anything. Strike that. The taxes are guaranteed, all the rest is wishful thinking.



posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Help me understand something here. Are you claiming it will cost 849 billion dollars a year for this? Because I my understanding is that this enormous amount of money represents the cost for 10 years. Not that costs will actually be this low for 10 years. After all we know how government programs greatly exceed estimates. If anyone believes this heatlh care bill will "only" cost 849 billion dollars in 10 years, well,..........

I would expect medicare alone to be defrauded for at least half this amount in those 10 years.



posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockstrongo37


I just wanted to post this because I'm sitting here totally amazed that something like this is about to happen. I took the above $849 billion amount and divided it by 31 million that will be covered by the bill...and low and behold it came to $27,387 dollars per person! OMG I pay nearly $1000 a month for me and my family for a private insurance policy...wouldnt it seem at least a bit more logical to simply give these people $1000 a month ($12,000 a year) to go out and pay some private established insurance company to get coverage, instead of totally remaking the entire industry? If we did that, logic would then say we could at least save $15,000 or so per year per person! Oh but that would be too easy and not fit into the plans our President has to recreate a new and more powerful government run enterprise!


www.npr.org
(visit the link for the full news article)


You did not divide it by ten years which is what the figure represents I believe...

$2,739 per person per year if you do that -



posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Do people have to pay for this or is this free? It would make more sense to have those who can afford it; pay a little instead of passing it on to the taxpayers. People on SS have to pay for Medicare by the way.
Will this make it easier for people on Medicare/medicaid or harder? Will all Drs take the government insurance or will it be like medicaid where only a few drs take it?
I am all for a health care overhaul but only if it makes things better not worse!



posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
Do people have to pay for this or is this free? It would make more sense to have those who can afford it; pay a little instead of passing it on to the taxpayers. People on SS have to pay for Medicare by the way.
Will this make it easier for people on Medicare/medicaid or harder? Will all Drs take the government insurance or will it be like medicaid where only a few drs take it?
I am all for a health care overhaul but only if it makes things better not worse!


Free? Was that just a typo? Nothing is free for anyone with a job.

As for doctors picking up and accepting the government plan, they are going to have to. Right now, the pharm companies are raising their rates in order to set the "minimum" pricing standards needed.

The government is just going to take this number and undercut it -- SLIGHTLY.

There are going to be tax breaks for employers that pick up the government plan and provide it to their employees.

There are going to be too many people on the government program for doctors to turn away from it.

Further, people are going to be running to the doctor with everything from a cut finger to "suspicious" spots on their body. Of course, the only people able to do that are the ones not paying for it -- the rest of us are at work!

I don't even know why, after the failings of Medicaid and Medicare, that we are even entertaining giving the gov't yet another chance to screw up with nearly a trillion dollars.



posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red
 




You did not divide it by ten years which is what the figure represents I believe...

$2,739 per person per year if you do that -


You are correct, but then add tht $2739 per person per year on top of the fact that the working folks have to still buy their own insurance on top of that.

So a family of four would be $10,956 on top of paying for their insurance which will become even more epensive than it is before "reform".



posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce
reply to post by Janky Red
 




You did not divide it by ten years which is what the figure represents I believe...

$2,739 per person per year if you do that -


You are correct, but then add tht $2739 per person per year on top of the fact that the working folks have to still buy their own insurance on top of that.

So a family of four would be $10,956 on top of paying for their insurance which will become even more epensive than it is before "reform".


it would cost each person, round about, $25 a month if the money was collected evenly from each person... at a population of 331,000,000 - minus 31 million



posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red
 


Sorry try $250 per month for each individual. You can't get to $2700 per person per year (every man, woman, and child) with $25 per month.



posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockstrongo37
 


It would make much more sense to me to make health care affordable. You should be able to pay out of pocket instead of going in debt for a lifetime when you are sick. What other industry has that kind of stranglehold on people? You put the word "medical" in front of anything and it automatically jumps many fold in cost. It seems to me that the whole medical industry is guilty of price fixing.



posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red
it would cost each person, round about, $25 a month if the money was collected evenly from each person... at a population of 331,000,000 - minus 31 million



Ha! This is probably how healthcare reform is getting passed! $25 per month for everyone.... give me a break.



posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627
 


Yeah Janky has a habit of saying numbers that dont really mean anything.

On the bright side no matter how much you have to pay monthly for insurance thanks to obama bigpharm can still charge your left kidney for prescriptions



posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
850billion on health = outrage

1.1trillion per year on defense spending = crickets chirping...



posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by reasonable
 


Cant argue with that but i can say 890b is a joke... try 1t +

furthermore ... if they decided to just cut back defense spending for health care reform rather than impose new taxes and compulsory policy holding I'd be all for it

[edit on 19-11-2009 by conspiracyrus]



posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce
reply to post by Janky Red
 


Sorry try $250 per month for each individual. You can't get to $2700 per person per year (every man, woman, and child) with $25 per month.



If we are talking recipients then that would be correct $270 a month -

My calculation indicates the tax burden on the entire nation of individuals who will NOT receive such healthcare. I thought the point was indicate the cost for people who do not receive this coverage.



900,000,000,000 divided by 300,000,000

www.google.com...,000,000,000+divided+by+300,000,000&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

= $3,000


$3,000 divided by 10 YEARS

www.google.com...,000+divided+by+10&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

= $300

$300 by twelve months in a year

www.google.com...

= $25

there is the math - correct it where I am wrong - if you do not like the base figures
give me what makes you happy and I can do it again if you would like.




[edit on 19-11-2009 by Janky Red]

[edit on 19-11-2009 by Janky Red]



posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracyrus
reply to post by lpowell0627
 


Yeah Janky has a habit of saying numbers that dont really mean anything


You forgot to include...

"for people who cannot understand basic mathematical equations"

Don't worry man, you could always go back to school or use the calculator function
on google
, but I suggest the first option.



posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red
 


no i forgot to include that you arbitrarily come up with equations when they aren't supported by evidence



posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
www.cbo.gov...

states that the 40 million without insurance aren't all unable to afford coverage.

But lets to same Janky math

300000000 x .15 (people living below the poverty level en.wikipedia.org... ) = 45million

so that leaves 255 million to foot roughly 1t dollars = 3921 divided by 10 = 392 then divided by 12 blah blah blah


but you arent taking into account that with everyone insured you get a rise in hospital visits which drives up the cost not to mention the number of poor will rise for the next couple of years with mounting job losses

.....

in 2006 there were an estimated 1 billion trips to the hospital.

blogs.usatoday.com...

imagine how many trips youll have with everyone with insurance...


[edit on 19-11-2009 by conspiracyrus]



posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracyrus
www.cbo.gov...

states that the 40 million without insurance aren't all unable to afford coverage.

But lets to same Janky math

300000000 x .15 (people living below the poverty level en.wikipedia.org... ) = 45million

so that leaves 255 million to foot roughly 1t dollars = 3921 divided by 10 = 392 then divided by 12 blah blah blah


but you arent taking into account that with everyone insured you get a rise in hospital visits which drives up the cost not to mention the number of poor will rise for the next couple of years with mounting job losses

.....

in 2006 there were an estimated 1 billion trips to the hospital.

blogs.usatoday.com...

imagine how many trips youll have with everyone with insurance...


[edit on 19-11-2009 by conspiracyrus]



So by your calculations we have $32.67 a month

www.google.com... +12&spell=1

I was going by the article stated in the OP and
see you can do math!



A Senate aide said 31 million uninsured people would be covered under the proposal released Wednesday; the House bill aims to cover 36 million.


www.npr.org...


Well I think eliminating caps and rescission will help in the department below



Dr. David Himmelstein is an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and a primary care doctor at the Cambridge Hospital in Massachusetts. Dr. Himmelstein is also a founder of Physicians for a National Health Program. In 2005 and 2009, he helped write major studies finding that medical bills were a leading contributor to personal bankruptcies in the United States. He spoke to the freelance writer Anne Underwood.

Q.
How many medical bankruptcies are there annually in this country?

A.
The forecast for this year is that there will be 1.4 million to 1.5 million total bankruptcy filings. Our data say 62 percent of those will be medical. That works out to around 900,000 cases, and each one affects about 2.7 people. That makes roughly 2.4 million people who will suffer from new medical bankruptcy filings in 2009 alone.

Q.
What’s the fallout from declaring medical bankruptcy?

A.
We know that bankruptcy in general is considered hugely shameful. People who will tell you the intimate details of their sex lives will refuse to tell you about their bankruptcies. It shows up for years on credit reports. It creates problems in obtaining housing and getting jobs.


prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.com...

And you are right, costs are going thru the roof - I will save you the fifty year inflation-

One decade from now the current rate of $15,000 a year to cover a family of four


Year - 2019

+ 131% increase as is the trend

= $34,650

Two decades

Year - 2029

+131% increase as is the trend

= $80,041




[edit on 19-11-2009 by Janky Red]




top topics



 
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join