It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cinema popcorn is nutritional horror show: US study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Forget Freddy Krueger or flesh-eating zombies: the real villain of a night at the movies could be lurking in a bag of popcorn or drinks carton, according to a new US study.

Nutritional analysis of popcorn servings at some of America's biggest cinema chains has found mind-boggling calorie counts that may surprise consumers who think of the snack as a relatively healthy treat.

However the non-profit Center for Science in the Public Interest compared some popcorn and drinks combos to consuming three McDonald's quarter-pounders topped with 12 pats of butter.

The CSPI said in a statement that a medium popcorn and soda combo at Regal, the United States' biggest movie theater chain, contained an eye-popping 1,610 calories and around 60 grams of saturated fat.

I had no illusions that theater popcorn with the extra butter was anything other than circulatory system clogging death. But even with this information I doubt if I'll stop eating it. Especially when my multiplex gives free popcorn on various days of the week.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Now I not only want the popcorn, but 3 quarter pounders with cheese......

and butter.

Somtimes I really don't understand myself at all...

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
what else are they going to ruin for us?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Stick to the nachos, at least then you dupe yourself into pretending there's actual nutritional value in the pseudo-dairy cheese product.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
Stick to the nachos, at least then you dupe yourself into pretending there's actual nutritional value in the pseudo-dairy cheese product.

Thanks for the input m_s! You have inspired me to make a pledge!

Herewith I will clog up my arteries with pseudo-dairy cheese and not that awful pseudo-dairy butter. All washed down with a diet drink, containing pseudo-sugar sweetening products like aspertame or splenda or stevia.

It's a sad day when the way to eat healthy in the theater is a corndog.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Popcorn at the movies is a nutritional horror that I have to munch on . If they served Nachos at the movies here in New Zealand I could well be making a pig of myself by eating both Popcorn and Nachos while watching whatever on the big screen .

new topics

top topics

join