It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesse Jackson: 'You can't vote against healthcare and call yourself a black man'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

The Rev. Jesse Jackson on Wednesday night criticized Rep. Artur Davis (D-Ala.) for voting against the Democrats’ signature healthcare bill.

“We even have blacks voting against the healthcare bill,” Jackson said at a reception Wednesday night. “You can’t vote against healthcare and call yourself a black man.”

thehill.com...=

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
He doesn't even have a real job. He is a loud mouthed idiot, who cares what the REVEREND OF BS has to say.

I was hoping he was going to shut up once a black President hit office, I guess not.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Keep it up, Jessie! Comments like these will make sure that the health care bill is scuttled!

What an ass! Here he's criticizing Artur Davis (D) of Alabama for not supporting the health care monstrosity - playing the race card against blacks just to further his own political agenda. Just when I thought this idiot couldn't sink any lower, Jackson never fails to disappoint.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
This shouldn't surprise anyone... that tactic has worked for years for Jackson..

I did find the response from Davis very good ..

“One of the reasons that I like and admire Rev. Jesse Jackson is that 21 years ago he inspired the idea that a black politician would not be judged simply as a black leader,” Davis’s statement said. “The best way to honor Rev. Jackson’s legacy is to decline to engage in an argument with him that begins and ends with race.”

Take the high road

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

If the new health care reform is mostly an effort to bail out insurance companies, what does this have to do with being black?

That's what it seems like to me anyway. Doesn't seem to be a black/white issue.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
How does the Reverend Jesse Jackson have any say on what a "man" does?

I thought a "man" was a responsible s.o.b. that did what he wants, and in a free society nonetheless.

This reminds me of the, "You're not a real woman if you're against abortion." or vice-versa for that matter.

Both republicans and democrats do this sort of tactic. The ever popular "You're with us or against us." patriotic values rings a bell, but the democrats are ever popular with this strategy on almost all issues.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I am amazed that Jackson can still manage to have any followers in this day and age. His statements like this one never cease to amaze me and yet he still gets press and airtime. We would all be better served if he was just ignored long enough to make him go away.

The man has not made any valuable contributions to his community or his cause for as long as I can remember. He has done more to repress than to advance. Rev. Jackson is trapped permanently in the past with no chance of ever seeing future. Seeing a positive future would put him out of work.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Leave it to Jackson to turn the Health care debate into a race issue.

Please Jesse Jackson, shut up.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Jesse Jackson can be a hypocrite sometimes. He screams out racism when he unneccesarily brings in the topic of race himself on issues.

That being said this is nothing new, Im not exactly shocked.

Jess Jackson and many of those extreme race bating activists are no different from those on the rightwing who play the race and gender card then accuse others of doing so.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

The Rev. Jesse Jackson on Wednesday night criticized Rep. Artur Davis (D-Ala.) for voting against the Democrats’ signature healthcare bill.

“We even have blacks voting against the healthcare bill,” Jackson said at a reception Wednesday night. “You can’t vote against healthcare and call yourself a black man.”

thehill.com...=

??????????????

I guess I just need to do the "Jesse Jackson Vote-for-Healthcare Litmus Test" To determine my skin color!

Hmm....

Crap. I'm not black.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Isn't this the same guy that said that he wanted to cut Obama's nuts off?

This guy is media wh@re just like a lot of the other politicians out there. They always want to jump on the bandwagon to promote race relations when it actually hurts more than helps...

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I thought Jesse Jackson had retired.

Maybe this is a sign that things are returning to normal.

Healthcare will pass, but most don't take effect until 2014-2015.

Plenty of time for a Republican led Congress to amend the bill being passed.

[edit on 19-11-2009 by jam321]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Rallying a particular voting bloc is nothing new in politics. There is strength in numbers. African Americans, while they don't all have the same politics by any means, have successfully formed voting blocs in the past. Jackson is trying to forge consensus on the question of health care.

Just as there is the Congressional Black Caucus on the Hill, which seeks strength in unity.

Every mention of race is not inappropriate.

Some people don't like Jackson's politics and so don't like him rallying the African American vote, and call it racist.

If Michael Steele exhorted black people to vote Republican because it is in their best interests, a lot of people on this thread wouldn't mind at all.

It just depends on where your convictions lie.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias

It just depends on where your convictions lie.

Glad you mentioned "convictions".

Too bad jackson doesn't have any since his standard modus operandi is to extort money from corporations and other groups by threatening to start a negative public campaign unless they ante up some big bucks for his "foundation", which also flows directly into jackson's own pockets.

Jackson's career was made off of portraying blacks as victims. He and others like al sharpton have this perfected down to a "science".

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I would love to see someone do a surgery on this guy to shut him up. Actually let’s do that to Sharpton as well.

This guy is always spouting something about race and then goes on to bash “his own people” for not agreeing with him. What a super great guy he is, I am sure he is a hero to many.

Raist

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
No suprise really. Jesse Jackson has a gift for saying dumb things.

new topics

top topics

join