It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge: Corps' negligence caused Katrina flooding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Judge: Corps' negligence caused Katrina flooding

A federal judge ruled Wednesday that the Army Corps of Engineers' failure to properly maintain a navigation channel led to massive flooding in Hurricane Katrina, a decision that could make the federal government vulnerable to billions of dollars in claims.

U.S. District Judge Stanwood Duval sided with six residents and one business who argued the Army Corps' shoddy oversight of the Mississippi River-Gulf Outlet led to the flooding of New Orleans' Lower 9th Ward and neighboring St. Bernard Parish.

He said, however, the corps couldn't be held liable for the flooding of eastern New Orleans, where two of the plaintiffs lived.

The lawsuit was the first major case against the federal government over Katrina flooding to go to trial. A decision rested with Duval because a jury cannot try a case against the federal government.

Interesting.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Great,More problems for the gov.and we pick up the tab.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Yeah, like losing your homes, family members and basically life as you knew it (because the insurance companies didn't pick up the tab) isn't a "problem" for thousands of taxpayers. Give me a break.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I love New Orleans. But the Civil Corps is just being made the scapegoat.

But the inordinate amount of money to keep a city below sea level in a hurricane zone just boggles my mind.

Funny how the state isn't being held responsible for the erosion of wetlands and barriers that should of held back Katrina in the first place.

[edit on 19-11-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
City in a hole between a lake, a river and the gulf......
Naww. It couldn't be because of that.

Gravity shouldn't be held accountable at all.
It can't be sued.

top topics

join