It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FAA: Flights Delayed Across Country Because of Computer Problems

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Breaking News: FAA: Flights Delayed Across Country Because of Computer Problems

www.foxnews.com

DEVELOPING: A computer glitch is causing flights to be delayed nationwide Thursday, the Federal Aviation Administration confirmed.

The problems are with retrieving flight plans from FAA computer systems, a spokeswoman said.

"We are having a problem processing flight plan information," the FAA's Kathleen Bergen explained in a prepared statement. "We are investigating the cause of the problem. We are processing flight plans manually and expect some delays."

The technical difficulties weren't affecting air traffic control's systems, she said.

Controllers "have radio coverage a
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11/19/2009 by x2Strongx]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
This is a developing story... so it will be interesting to find out why all the planes nation-wide is grounded.

Does anyone live near an airport here? Notice any non-traffic?

I'll have to listen to the tower control scanners to see what kind of radio traffic is going on.

I'm not going to speculate on what happened to the computer system, but you would think that it would be protected and backed up.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
My prediction is that this is going to be attributed to: a hacker, possibly from China or North Korea.

Anybody else notice the HUGE push for cyber-security? The White House seems to be gearing up for Webland Security Act II. What better way to attract public support than to interfere with the public's ability to get from point A to point B?

It's not until people are inconvenienced or personally affected that they begin to show interest.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

That's true. What better way to make a point and get people to back you. I guess this might be other type of "False Flags". Don't let a crisis go to waste!

I'm listening to JFK tower... sounds like they are getting flights off the ground... but I believe everything is being done manually when it comes to flight plans. Surprised they still now how to do it manually. Which reminds me of the past episode of NCIS this past Tuesday.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
This is interesting. powell, how can yoiu assume they're "probably Chinese or North Korean..." ?? But indeed, i'll be eager to read up on why this happened.. i agree about hacker, first thing that came to my mind. I didnt assume any particular race though lol...

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Here's the latest flight information for Newark International Airport in New Jersey.

Looking through the flights, many arrivals seem to be slightly ahead of schedule. Departures, however, are running with delays around 30 - 60 minutes.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by RadiatorOfTheLight
This is interesting. powell, how can yoiu assume they're "probably Chinese or North Korean..." ?? But indeed, i'll be eager to read up on why this happened.. i agree about hacker, first thing that came to my mind. I didnt assume any particular race though lol...

I'm coming to that conclusion since Obama seems focused on keeping the American people "on alert" when it comes to NK and Iran. Iran coverage is easy right now....North Korea has died down however.

I also think that Obama went to China, accomplished absolutely nothing, and needs a way or reason to begin obtaining even borrowed funds without having to repay a penny. None of these new intiatives come without the need for more cash. Something the US doesn't have right now.

Another thought: He is simply using all of this to justify a crackdown on the Internet.

I find it ironic that he goes to China and preaches about the importance of free, transparent information, and then hasn't even landed yet and has a reason to possibly discuss the threat of cyberattacks yet again....

And I'm not assuming....more like guessing at this point....

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
From CNN:

Atlanta, Georgia (CNN) -- A computer system in Atlanta, Georgia, that pilots use to file flight plans was not working properly Thursday morning, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

FAA spokeswoman Laura Brown said there are problems processing flight plans and that air traffic controllers are having to enter the plans manually. That means there are going to be "some delays" until the issue is resolved, she said.

The extent of the problem was not immediately clear. The information in the network is required to launch planes expeditiously.

Airplane safety is not affected, the FAA said. Planes in the air have radar coverage and communication, according to the FAA.

The system -- the National Airspace Data Interchange Network, or NADIN -- appears to be the same one that failed in August 2008. The FAA said flight plans are being processed through the network's Salt Lake City, Utah office.

Brown also said there are weather delays in the Northeast.

Or...it could just be a crappy computer....

Interesting that flight plans are affected. So, if someone doesn't input the flight plan manually....or enters it incorreclty.....nobody will know the actual course the plane is supposed to take...? I sense a "wayward" plane report....

Will have to keep an eye on this.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Interesting...... I was watching GMTV this morning (British morning news program) and they had a bit mentioned about this date, last year, being the date most people across the world had their computers infected by viruses. They were recommending everyone make sure that their anti virus was up to date.

I can't find anything on their website www.gm.tv - did anyone else hear them discussing this or am I going a little crazy?

Probably not tied to the US computer problems but thought I'd post what I heard because I don't believe in coincidence.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
Anybody else notice the HUGE push for cyber-security?

Yes actually I was discussing the same thing this morning here at the office. Not only in the US but also in Europe and Australia there are news reports about coming cyber wars!

Cyber warfare on the horizon Australian (November 19)
Age of cyber warfare is 'dawning' - BBC (November 17)
FBI warns that terrorists plot cyber war - Examiner (November 19)

Or just do your own Google news search for articles on Cyber war in the last day

I think that the reason behind this is that the west is waking up and realizes China can take down most information infrastructure within minutes probably. Agencies are creating a sense of urgency so they can get the funds to prepare a response.

[edit on 19/11/2009 by FreezeM]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

ATLANTA — A problem with the FAA system that collects airlines' flight plans caused widespread flight cancellations and delays nationwide Thursday.

FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said she doesn't know how many flights are being affected or when the problem will be resolved.

An AirTran Airways spokesman said there's no danger to flights in the air, and flights are still taking off and landing.

However, spokesman Christopher White said flight plans are having to be loaded manually because of a malfunction with the automated system.

"Everything is safe in the air," White said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.google.com...

More information. This is a major hub. Anyone think this might be a problem with a secret flight plan being loaded and having to be destroyed?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Now in any way... does this make us more vulnerable to a 9-11 like attack? I don't know... It's amazing it's like this is more countries other than the U.S. though!!

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

The CT in me thinks this is very disturbing and hiding something very sinister. A secret agenda or false flag op. We shall see or perhaps never know what the ultimate goal was.

[edit on 19-11-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
double posting of this event.... oh well here is a possible cause...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f46434547632.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 19-11-2009 by maddogron]

[edit on 19-11-2009 by maddogron]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Don't believe this. There is something Really odd about this.. wouldn't you say.. Think about it. FAA doesn't have a back up system.. they only use ONE system for this data.. that makes No Sense to me at all. I don't believe the official story, not for a second.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Looks like everything is back up and running... Although, they are still investigating the cause...

Source: Fox News

"We are having a problem processing flight plan information," the FAA's Kathleen Bergen explained in a prepared statement. "We are processing flight plans manually and expect some delays." Bergen said she didn't know how many flights were affected, but the cause was being investigated. The technical difficulties weren't affecting air traffic control's systems, she said. Controllers "have radio coverage and communications with planes," according to Bergen. AirTran Airways said there's no danger to flights in the air, and flights are still taking off and landing. "Everything is safe in the air," said AirTran spokesman Christopher White.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by maddogron

Yea, did you see the flare it put out for 11-18 at I believe around 2100 hours?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
yep.. here is a snippet of wikipedias definition "X-rays and UV radiation emitted by solar flares can affect Earth's ionosphere and disrupt long-range radio communications. Direct radio emission at decimetric wavelengths may disturb operation of radars and other devices operating at these frequencies."

I am just wondering if the mainstream news will look into this??? the soho image is amazing

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Don't believe this. There is something Really odd about this.. wouldn't you say.. Think about it. FAA doesn't have a back up system.. they only use ONE system for this data.. that makes No Sense to me at all. I don't believe the official story, not for a second.

Your right... Even the railroads have backup systems everywhere. They even have a disaster center ready if something happened to one of the other offices.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
My first thought was the movie Eagle Eye, a government super computer called Aria designed to recognize threats to national security by monitoring or controlling every cell phone, computer, video camera, and radio frequency in the world.

It's possible the FAA computer systems was attacked by some mischievous government operation or super computer. I'm sure the reason for this attack has already been answered in this thread.

[edit on 19-11-2009 by imitator]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join