It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concern over canned foods - Consumers Report

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Concern Over Canned Foods

The chemical Bisphenol A, which has been used for years in clear plastic bottles and food-can liners, has been restricted in Canada and some U.S. states and municipalities because of potential health effects. The Food and Drug Administration will soon decide what it considers a safe level of exposure to Bisphenol A (BPA), which some studies have linked to reproductive abnormalities and a heightened risk of breast and prostate cancers, diabetes, and heart disease.

Now Consumer Reports' latest tests of canned foods, including soups, juice, tuna, and green beans, have found that almost all of the 19 name-brand foods we tested contain some BPA. The canned organic foods we tested did not always have lower BPA levels than nonorganic brands of similar foods analyzed. We even found the chemical in some products in cans that were labeled "BPA-free."

The debate revolves around just what is a safe level of the chemical to ingest and whether it should be in contact with food. Federal guidelines currently put the daily upper limit of safe exposure at 50 micrograms of BPA per kilogram of body weight. But that level is based on experiments done in the 1980s rather than hundreds of more recent animal and laboratory studies indicating serious health risks could result from much lower doses of BPA.

Examples of High BPA Levels
- Progresso Vegetable Soup (67-134 ppb)
- Campbell's Condensed Chicken Noodle Soup (54.5-102 ppb)
- Canned Del Monte Fresh Cut Green Beans Blue Lake (35.9-191 ppb)

Deciding on a Safe Level
Several animal studies show adverse effects, such as abnormal reproductive development, at exposures of 2.4 micrograms of BPA per kilogram of body weight per day. Our food-safety scientists recommend limiting daily exposure to one-thousandth of that level, or 0.0024 micrograms per kilogram of body weight, following established practices to ensure an adequate margin of safety.

An FDA special scientific advisory panel reported in late 2008 that the agency's basis for setting safety standards to protect consumers was inadequate and should be re-evaluated. A congressional subcommittee determined in 2009 that the agency relied too heavily on studies sponsored by the American Plastics Council. BPA, a building block of plastics, is a component of epoxy resin used in cans and packaging. "The FDA's reliance on industry studies in determining BPA's safety must be re-evaluated in light of clear signs industry is willing to mislead the American people on this public-health issue," said Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Mich., chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee's Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee. Bills are pending in Congress that would ban the use of BPA in all food and beverage containers.

Industry has been waging a fight against new regulations. The American Chemistry Council says on its Web site: "The weight of scientific evidence clearly supports the safety of BPA and provides strong reassurance that there is no basis for human health concerns from exposure to BPA." The chemical was first marketed in the 1940s as a plastic component and by the 1960s was used in almost all can linings to extend shelf life. Now it is one of the highest-volume chemicals in the world; at least 7 billion pounds are produced annually for use in countless products, including dental sealants, PVC water pipes, medical equipment, consumer electronics, and even cash-register receipts.

New evidence of the risks of BPA at low levels increases the concern about those multiple sources of exposure. "Our regulatory standards now are based on the outdated assumption that when you test a chemical's safety at high doses, the results also will reveal any risks occurring at low doses, but as hundreds of studies have now demonstrated, it doesn't work that way with estrogen-mimicking chemicals like BPA, which can have completely different and potentially more harmful effects at low doses," says Frederick vom Saal, a professor of developmental biology at the University of Missouri at Columbia and a leading researcher on BPA...

More at link

Fixed link, added ex tags, reduced copy/paste
k/j

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19/11/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
S&F. The sad truth seems to be that it is nearly impossible anymore to eat healthy foods without being poisoned in some way. Whether it's Mercury levels, the chemicals leeching from plastics, the preservatives, corn syrup, genetically modified crops that cause all kinds of health problems, meat that is full of hormones and antibiotics. It's hard to see this not wonder if these people truly are not out to kill off most of the human race

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
thanks mod... I couldnt have did any better... FYI guys this is CONSUMER REPORTS ALERT...

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Evil

This just goes to show how entirely useless governments are. They quite seriously cannot be trusted to do anything. We have food labeled "BPA free" with BPAs. The FDA needs to be privatized and even spun off into multiple competing companies. As is they are simply useless.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
This reminds me of teflon.
I serioulys think they are trying to kill us.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Ok, I'll take another angle.

Does it seem strange that when more and more people are becoming aware of the financial mess we are in and are starting to prepare for hard times by stocking up on canned goods this report comes out?

Pssst, don't eat the canned foods, they're spoiled. (in your best Spanky Voice)

With all the chemicals in our food already, GM foods, dangerous additives in practically everything we consume, this is what concerns them?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by truthquest

The FDA has long been compromised by Big Pharma,et. al.

A good example is the sweetheart deal Rumsfeld made with his FDA buddy in the 80's to get aspartame on the market. $15 miilion for Rummy, a tip for his buddy, millions of people poisoned-priceless.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Great find! S & F for you and thank you for the heads up.

Isn't this just great, yet another thing to add to the list of things NOT to eat.

It really is time to replace the people running our government.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Primordial

Does it seem strange that when more and more people are becoming aware of the financial mess we are in and are starting to prepare for hard times by stocking up on canned goods this report comes out?

My first thought.

The evil knows no bounds -

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest

This just goes to show how entirely useless governments are. They quite seriously cannot be trusted to do anything. We have food labeled "BPA free" with BPAs. The FDA needs to be privatized and even spun off into multiple competing companies. As is they are simply useless.

Yeah, privatize the industry shield organization, that will make it more accountable to the people!

Hows about we just fix our government? We will always have one (unless you prefer a Mad Max form of governance), why not make it a good one by cutting the corporate campaign finance umbilical cord?

BTW - I would prefer a Mad Max form of governance to what we have now.

[edit on 19-11-2009 by wanderingwaldo]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
It seems to me as though all this new stuff that's touted as being better for us/easier to use, etc. (New and Improved) actually is worse for us. I'm a big believer in that most of the old ways are the best ways.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
It also seems alumium in general,, is NOT good for us.is slightly toxic i gues is the word to use. Article here on ATS last year. This reminds me of a news report going back to the mid 90's. Those big rigg trucks that carry toxic chemicals, chemicals, ect, are also the same riggs used in filling and hauling concentrated juices!!!! They showed some video of a guy in white prtective suite, kinda like a bio suit, steam spraying the inside of the fill container, then being filled, with you guessed it MOTSS apple juice : x Juicy juice was another culprit.

FDA apporved hugh? i give FDA HUGE

shame on yuo FDA what a total let down on our health and prtection nazi bastis. Call me crazy, but this looks just like how the nazis would have transported food for the jews.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Virraztro, I coundt agree with you more! IM 34, and for past few years now, have thought what my grandparents did was old school, and undated. They never used soaps full of chemicals, or shampoos and the like. They ate a well balanced diet, never overate, and always had energy to do just about anything. NEver needed lots of meds, by todays standards. MY fatther used to tell me about milk, when he was a kid, growing up in the 50's. It was delivered too yuor door, in a glass botle,a nd was Cheap! cream floated tot he top, it was never pasteurized, in those days. decades go by, im born, and as a kid, my fahter would talk about how today we kids dont know what real milk was..its like water* by todays standards.
They used a perculator coffee machine. Ive used it time to time, and i swear coffee is SO much better percualted, instaed fo todays instant and coffee makers. Cigars are literally like sawdust* freind visited a facotry once years ago, garcia e vega, grenediers, over the coutner cigars, are leftovers swpet up off hte floor, rolled up and sold and maximum retail* In other words, cogar lovers. yuor smoking garbage*
My grandparents tried to buy from glass containers, saying it was healthier,a nd canned food had a weird taste. I agree, they knew best..i think we should or could follow a little in thier footsteps, to educate our kids one day, what to stay away form and whats aceptable*

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
[edit on 20-11-2009 by m khan]

[edit on 20-11-2009 by m khan]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Is it any wonder that cancer rates have risen, especially prostate cancer in men, and that things like autism effect thousands of kids in every county of every state? We're all gonna die...sooo where did I put that Diet Cherry Pepsi?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

I had a nice little garden this year and I canned/froze enough organic veggies to last through the winter. Canned and frozen store bought veggies have NO taste to them plus they are loaded with preservatives. I cook with only cast iron. I don't buy any store bought cleaners. I make my own. I make my own laundry soap, and shampoo. I cook from scratch. No store bought mixes for me. I do whatever I can to reduce the amount of crap that goes into us or onto us. I don't drink coffee, but I think I will find a nice percolator for my husband.

top topics

join