It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

when is the gun ban coming? and a question on home defense weapons

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
i remember in march the leaked gun ban issue came up, i was wondering if there was any more word on that and opinions as to when you think it might happen, and also the likly hood of it passing. i assume it wouldnt be to difficult to pass thanks to dem. control

my question about home defense weapons is actually two questions.. haha

1. if the guns are already owned, in the case of a gun ban can they take guns that were banned? or are they just banned from being sold?

2. i have a glock 9mm. i am considering my next two gun choices should be a mossberg 500 12 gauge shotgun with a fold stock. the next purchase would be an ak-47... if i can afford it and get it in time i would also like to pick up some sort of sniper rifle. im sure that wouldnt be fully necessary in home defense. but i figure if i already have those others, it could be useful. any thoughts or additional gun choices i should consider>\?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I dont think a gun ban is coming, but it would be welcome if it was, atleast by me.

Edit: Second line

[edit on 19-11-2009 by December_Rain]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
The shotgun is a good choice, but, try to avoid the folding stock. I know it looks good, but, the folding stock tends to draw attention to the gun. A standard stock might not look as cool, but, with it the shotgun can be justified as a hunting and sproting gun. A shotgun with a folding stock tends to be grouped in with so calles "assault weapons".

A good "sniper rifle" to consider would be a 7mm Remington. Again try to avoid things like black fiberglass stocks. These tend to give the impression of "assault weapons" instead of hunting or sporting weapons. I'd try to avoid the AK for the same reasons. Look for a 5.56 or 7.62 semi-auto rifle and then get some straight high capacity magazines for it. Avoid the banana mags if possible.

If this "gun ban" does come about, the first weapons to be banned are going to be the ones that look like those the media call "assault weapons". By avoiding things like folding stocks and black fiberglass stocks you should be able to hold on to your weapons longer.

Personally I just bought a crossbow. My State has finally legalized them for hunting and inside of 50 yards they are as accurate as any gun, plus they have the advantage of going right through body armour.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

It's so sad how much of it comes down to petty aesthetics.

That's what happens when morons write bills that morons support into law I guess.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Personally, I don't think guns will be banned outright any time soon. However, if healthcare reform passes, another stimulus bill goes through....than I would probably amend my prediction since at that point, the administration certainly would be able to throw its power around even more.

Prior to guns being banned, I think Obama is going to take a more sneaky approach. For example, making ammunition extremely difficult to get, limiting the amount of ammunition one can purchase, raising prices to unattainable levels....that kind of thing.

Things are changing very quickly and it won't take much to ignite the fuse so to speak.

As for your other questions:

1. More than likely there would be some sort of grandfather clause to allow those people with legally owned guns to keep them. I would think though the incentives for turning currently owned guns in would be huge. I also think that any non-registered / illegally owned guns would carry extremely harsh punishment at that point.

2. Sorry...I am not a gun expert.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
They can not take your rifle unless it has violated some OTHER law from previous, ie. 'pre-ban weapons' they call them, which is why they are more expensive (rarer).

If you're simply looking for home defence a Mossberg 590 or Remington 870 are perfect weapons. You have a good choice with the Glock my friend because it was something that could never let me down.

If you get an Kalashnikova get the 100 series because they come in your 'common' NATO rounds (5,56 and 7,62x51), it will be more plentiful than Russian standards (but are still amazing reliability).

And just feel lucky that you CAN buy weapons so easily in your country!

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I should also add the Finns make THE best sniper's rifles in the world, if you can afford it, get a Sako TRG-42 (.338 calibre) it is one of the best things ever made!!

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
The gun ban is of course a marketing campaign. People whom fear gun bans will go out and buy tons of guns and bullets. There was nothing beyond a marketing ploy targetted at the undereducated and fueled by the far right (whom are of course bought off by lobbiests) whom nod and wink at the people asking if the evil dems are going to take your guns away.

There will be no ban, but there will be plenty of scare tactics by one side whenever a Dem is in office...feel free to buy their product if it makes you feel better.

As far as proper home defense...well, what are you defending against? You got a gun already (will probably just end up shooting a relative trying to be quiet at 2am wandering around the house anyhow)...I would suggest a small dog with a loud bark to simply wake you up for anything out of the ordinary going on...all the guns on earth matters little if your sleeping through a home invasion.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
When they are finished with health care, the economy, amnesty and cap and trade, they will go for the guns.

And it will be taxes and ban on certain types. Not outright ban of everything.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
The gun ban is of course a marketing campaign.

It's happened once before and a good percentage of the residents of my town were made felons overnight because of it. So pardon me if I don't write it off as petty politicking. Besides, neither the Reps or the Dems are particularly interested in preserving this right. If there is any petty one side against another crap associated with it it's tyranny vs. liberty.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I think your choices of firearms is perfect. Get the folding stock Mossberg for home defense, the character of indoor engagements are such that a full stock is not nearly as maneuverable.

Forget the sniper rifle. Too much money for a good one and would you have the time and place to learn to shoot it proficiently? PErhaps you do, in which case it wouldn't altogether be a bad thing to have. For me the extra money would seem better spent on training, ammo or perhaps another handgun or two. Have you seen the Taurus judge? That's my next choice for a home defense weapon. It's a revolver that shoots .410 buckshot.

I would add that I feel the AK is a must for any kind of real firefight, a nightvision scope could be invaluable. if you can't afford that make sure to mount tac lights on your boomstick and AK at a minimum.

As for a gun ban the government will continue to make ammo more expensive and guns more and more difficult to get. Ultimately they do want them all out of private hands.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Great advice so far. I agree if you have the handgun, shotgun and assault rifle, you are pretty much covered for whatever comes your way. The dog was great advice as well and I will add an alarm system and survellance cameras are invaluble to see whats going on around the outside of your home. Of course once the power is off the dog will take over from there.
Stay safe!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Actually, if you want to get all in one I would suggest a marksman rifle, such as M14, SKS, Dragunova, or the like, semi auto and low calibre so it can act like an assault rifle, but add a scope and it can be used for longer range.

They can also take larger magazine like 20/30 rounds. Just an idea.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Have you seen the Taurus judge? That's my next choice for a home defense weapon. It's a revolver that shoots .410 buckshot.

Yes, the Taurus Night Court Judge...ah...lol, we have two of them

Also, a .22 revolver with pre-loaded speed loaders can make a nice hunting firearm.

Mossberg 590 sp for the win!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
The gun ban is of course a marketing campaign. People whom fear gun bans will go out and buy tons of guns and bullets. There was nothing beyond a marketing ploy targetted at the undereducated and fueled by the far right (whom are of course bought off by lobbiests) whom nod and wink at the people asking if the evil dems are going to take your guns away.

There will be no ban, but there will be plenty of scare tactics by one side whenever a Dem is in office...feel free to buy their product if it makes you feel better.

As far as proper home defense...well, what are you defending against? You got a gun already (will probably just end up shooting a relative trying to be quiet at 2am wandering around the house anyhow)...I would suggest a small dog with a loud bark to simply wake you up for anything out of the ordinary going on...all the guns on earth matters little if your sleeping through a home invasion.

there was alreay a gun ban thanks to clinton, obama supporte it, an has supported pretty much every anti gun law that he has vote on. as far as me shooting a family member, congrats on a very stupi assumption. im not a crazy red neck, i dont have guns layin aroun to shoot at whatever moves. however i am ap very proactive person. i fin it funny you anti gun people are always the first to wish they had a gun when they could have used it

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I think your choices of firearms is perfect. Get the folding stock Mossberg for home defense, the character of indoor engagements are such that a full stock is not nearly as maneuverable.

Forget the sniper rifle. Too much money for a good one and would you have the time and place to learn to shoot it proficiently? PErhaps you do, in which case it wouldn't altogether be a bad thing to have. For me the extra money would seem better spent on training, ammo or perhaps another handgun or two. Have you seen the Taurus judge? That's my next choice for a home defense weapon. It's a revolver that shoots .410 buckshot.

I would add that I feel the AK is a must for any kind of real firefight, a nightvision scope could be invaluable. if you can't afford that make sure to mount tac lights on your boomstick and AK at a minimum.

As for a gun ban the government will continue to make ammo more expensive and guns more and more difficult to get. Ultimately they do want them all out of private hands.

hey thanks a lot! i figure the folding stock would be a good upgrade. in case i need it clear an area, haha i can close the stock. if i needed it for a more specific use or for hunting the stock will help keep me accurate. the ak i also feel would be most useful in a shtf situation

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ridhya
They can not take your rifle unless it has violated some OTHER law from previous, ie. 'pre-ban weapons' they call them, which is why they are more expensive (rarer).

If you're simply looking for home defence a Mossberg 590 or Remington 870 are perfect weapons. You have a good choice with the Glock my friend because it was something that could never let me down.

If you get an Kalashnikova get the 100 series because they come in your 'common' NATO rounds (5,56 and 7,62x51), it will be more plentiful than Russian standards (but are still amazing reliability).

And just feel lucky that you CAN buy weapons so easily in your country!

i do love my glock, ive had it for a few years and it seems great to me. the mossburg 590 comes in that roadblocker i believe. that is what i think ill get. ill check out the remmington as well. i will also check out the ak you suggested, i apreciate your help. also, i am greatful i can get weapons so easily here, hopefully it continues. because what people seem to not understand is the only people that hurt from gun laws are decent people. criminals wont have an issue buying guns illegaly

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Everyone that is pro gun banning:
What are you going to do when someone breaks in your house with an illegal handgun and demands your valuables? Wouldn't you wish you also had one?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike84596
Everyone that is pro gun banning:
What are you going to do when someone breaks in your house with an illegal handgun and demands your valuables? Wouldn't you wish you also had one?

Your speaking on deaf ears. They are morons. They do not understand that criminals will have guns and no deterrents. They actually think that banning guns will prevent criminals from getting them ...... LOL .. it is a naive world they live in.

TONS of dope come into this country daily... every criminal who wants a gun will have it.... And YOU won't.. and if you do and defend yourself, you will be prosecuted for murder... like the UK.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by srslyguyz

Lets see if I can get this right for you people. So many years of scare tactics that have involved gun laws. Kept the American people buying
weapons.They made us believe they were coming for our guns someday.
Hence bumper stickers that read, " out of my cold dead hands". Seems
to me they never intended to disarm us.
That's what the pandemic is for.
You don't have to disarm dead people.

[edit on 20-11-2009 by randyvs]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join