It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newcastle 'greenest' British city

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Newcastle 'greenest' British city
news.bbc.co.uk...

Newcastle upon Tyne has been named as Britain's greenest city in a think tank's annual study.

Forum for the Future looked at the sustainability of the 20 biggest cities, measuring factors such as air quality, wildlife and quality of life.

Newcastle, which beat 2008 winner Bristol into second, performed well "on many measures of sustainability".

Brighton and Hove came third, with Leicester fourth and London fifth. Edinburgh was seventh and Cardiff 10th.

The study measured 13 indicators of environmental performance, quality of life and how well prepared the cities are for the future.

Peter Madden, chief executive of Forum for the Future, said: "Cities with an industrial heritage face genuine challenges, but Newcastle's success shows that it is possible to overcome the legacy of the past and perform well on many measures of sustainability.

"We hope it will inspire other cities to redouble their efforts."

Newcastle-upon-Tyne takes top spot as Britain's greenest city
www.guardian.co.uk...

Well done Newcastle!

Newcastle Science City
www.newcastlesciencecity.com...

Newcastle - Google Images
images.google.co.uk...

Newcastle upon Tyne, UK - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
This is great news for Newcastle its a lovely part of the world and the people are great crack
, I used to go fishing there a lot and caught some monster carp, Sadly the same cant be said for Newcastle united
.. LOL

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Its probably due to the fact they also have little wealth on a whole in newcastle.

You could never probably dream that somewhere like london would be called teh greenest city, lol.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Stockholm Wins Europe’s Greenest City Award for 2010
www.europeupclose.com...

London bids to be world's greenest by 2012
www.physorg.com...

Article entitled: Look to Europe for Green Ideas
www.europeupclose.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I can see where you're coming from but...

you know this is just yet another b*****ks story to distract your mind, dumb you down and keep the green agenda in your mind?

It means nothing, I don't want to be harsh but it's crazy... this story is so nothing it's insane. Mainstrean crap designed to distract people that aren't like you.

You know, sometimes I wonder how far the distraction goes.

Newcastle. greenest British City.... bo**ocks. Open your mind to the real world bro, this is a media filler.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Pardon my ignorance but I've always wondered what does bo**ocks mean? I mean I understand that it is some sort of curse word but I really don't know exactly what it's definition is. It's a really strange word, that is certain.

------------------------------------------------

The only thing I know about Newcastle is they brew my favorite beer. Love Newcastle Brown. mmmmmmmm good stuff.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by and14263
I can see where you're coming from but

You know, sometimes I wonder how far the distraction goes.

Newcastle. greenest British City.... bo**ocks. Open your mind to the real world bro, this is a media filler.

Yep your right there and14263,
It lead me right up the garden path that did a nice bit of distraction that was.
Thanks for the reality check ..

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
Pardon my ignorance but I've always wondered what does bo**ocks mean? I mean I understand that it is some sort of curse word but I really don't know exactly what it's definition is. It's a really strange word, that is certain.

------------------------------------------------

The only thing I know about Newcastle is they brew my favorite beer. Love Newcastle Brown. mmmmmmmm good stuff.

Bollocks are testicles, i dont know why we say it, just has a nice ring to it. I often use it in response to many of the stories here on ATS.

Bollocks is a word of Anglo-Saxon origin, meaning "testicles". The word is often used figuratively in British English slang, as a noun to mean "nonsense", an expletive following a minor accident or misfortune, or an adjective to mean "poor quality" or "useless". Similarly, the common phrases "Bollocks to this!" or "That's a load of old bollocks" generally indicate contempt for a certain task, subject or opinion. Conversely, the word also figures in idiomatic phrases such as "the dog's bollocks" and "top bollock(s)", which usually refer to something which is admired, approved of or well-respected.

This is what makes me proud to be British

[edit on 19-11-2009 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Ah yes, thanks for the clarification.

2nd.

top topics

join