It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizarre nuclear detonation photograph

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Plasma has properties that approximate electricity as well as thermal energy.

Following that line of reasoning I think we are seeing plasma radiating outward from the blast. The ropes/cables account for the convection/conduction of energy downwards, but the general blob-like effect has to do witht he expansion of the plasma ball and what forces resists that expansion like, pressure, magnetic induction, and energy diffusion....

just 2 of my own cents....

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Most hypothetical nuclear detonations against an enemy would take place in the atmosphere. The explosion destroys everything on the ground, even if it explodes high in the air. The reason for mid-air detonations is the bonus of a very powerful EMP. A ground detonation will still produce EMP, but the shock wave of said EMP will not travel as far nor be as powerful. When it explodes in the air, the EMP will do much more damage over a broader region. At least, that's what I've been taught...

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Your mother in law looks like a head crab, dude. You'd better call Dr. Freeman

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Looks like ones of those high altitude nuke's going off.

Good timing with the camera.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
This shot comes from a sequence. In other shots one can see the sillhouettes of trees, giving some sense of the enormous size of that fireball. Now just imaginet that is ultimately from something no bigger than large spherical fruit.

It should also be pointed out that Edgerton's camerawork is responsible for many other more famous and iconic images. Two of the best known involves a bullet splitting a playing card into two, and an apple in the process of being destroyed by another bullet. His photographic analyses of various sports-related movements are especially awesome. One would never imagine how mis-shapened a baseball becomes when smacked by a baseball bat.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

That is the most disturbing film I've ever seen in my life! Not kidding. All the horror flicks in the world don't come close. I'm glad to have watched it once, to gain perspective, but will never allow myself to sit through that again.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Bizarrely, these are amazing photos although what they bring is not amazing.

Stunning example of what man can do

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by karl 12

That is the most disturbing film I've ever seen in my life! Not kidding. All the horror flicks in the world don't come close. I'm glad to have watched it once, to gain perspective, but will never allow myself to sit through that again.

Yep -you're not wrong.

'Threads' has got to be up there as one of the most frightening and truly disturbing films ever made.

At least when countries start hurling nuclear weapons at each other we now know what to expect - starvation, radiation sickness, nuclear winters, cannibalism and deformed births within years if not months - not a very pleasant prospect.

I think the film should be compulsory viewing for everyone (especialy politicians,war mongers and religious 'end times' fanatics).

Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
many of these are just simply amazing pictures, and at times will briefly flirt with giving a person perspective as to just how much power there is in the atom.

At the same time, I now really have a taste for some mushroom soup, or steak and mushrooms. I wonder why.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
I wonder what causes the "tunnels" within the explosion. You would assume that such a force like that would spread out evenly fairly evenly.

The downward directed "tunnels" are, to my understanding, caused by the vaporized support cables that keep the tower upright. What you see there is a few ionized clouds of steel.

The hollow spaces within the main cloud are probably caused by the uneven structure of the bomb, which makes some parts of the explosion wave front be slightly delayed. And of course the timing of the photograph was just right for them to be visible for a tiny fraction of a second.

I find these photos very interesting to a scientist's eye, very scary to the other eye that belongs to a mortal, if you don't mind the expression.

[edit on 19.11.2009 by Doc Lithium]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This scene is featured in the movie "Trinity and Beyond : The Atomic Bomb Movie"

A must watch! Shows tons of nuclear detonations with explanations. Shows a few from other countries as well. The China detonation at the end is way more creepy

www.imdb.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Interesting photos.

A few things disturb me, one is humans are so stupid that we make such devices and then use them on other humans. Personally I think the use of the weapon on Japan was the worst thing that could be done.

For a great insight into what it was really like for those people in Hiroshima, please read "Dark Rain" by Isuji Mibuse (spelling?) which is based on the diaries of immediate survivors. It is a close as anyone would want to get to being nuked.

All those atmospheric tests managed to irradiate every person on the planet. I still fail to see how any country had the right to do so knowing this would be the case.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
This picture is so interesting, and so is this similar one:

blog.katania.be...

That pic, as a previous poster mentioned, gives you some idead of scale, what with the tiny little trees at the bottom.

Those pictures were taken within a few picoseconds of detonation. It's so crazy to see this stage photographed. The immense force of nuclear destruction is almost belied by these seemingly innocent photos.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmazingK
This picture is so interesting, and so is this similar one:

blog.katania.be...

That pic, as a previous poster mentioned, gives you some idead of scale, what with the tiny little trees at the bottom.

Those pictures were taken within a few picoseconds of detonation. It's so crazy to see this stage photographed. The immense force of nuclear destruction is almost belied by these seemingly innocent photos.

TheAmazingK - thats another mindboggling pic!

Thanks for posting that one.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Thanks for embedding! It was beyond me.

These photos are truly amazing. Personally, I've done a moderate amount of research about nuclear bombs. Looking at the film clips for project Apple, and Priscillia, watching the Castle Bravo and the Tsar Bomb test footage, and then looking at images of Hiroshima in the direct aftermath fills me with such a strange feeling, I don't think there are even words to describe it. Images of the Genbaku Dome as the only thing standing for miles show, with much more gravity, the power we discovered in the atom, and the horrifying use we put it to.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
It almost looks like theyare trans dimensional in design. Maybe when the first nuke tests happened we opened up a portal to toher dimesions??

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Star and flag for you , sir!

Awesome website with a bunch of amazing photos.

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmazingK

Thanks for posting it in the first place.

Don't know if you've seen these images of Hiroshima and Nagasaki nowadays but its a pretty amazing transformation:

Hiroshima and Nagasaki - then and now

As for nuclear detonations -I did find this fact from BBC's programme 'QI' quite surpising:

*There have been 2,036 known nuclear bomb explosions since World War two.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
It is an infrared (or some other spectral range) image using high speed film camera. Either special film or in the least lens filters such as an IR pass filter.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Not sure the exact details of this but wasnt Phil Schneider talking about how during these high speed pictures they caught glimpses of UFO's coming through rips in space time created by these atomic explosions?

Again i cant remember the exact details i saw his talks years ago, but i remember him saying something about high speed cameras taking pics of UFO's had something to do with his father. can anybody elaborate on that? oh incidentally here is a site of more Rapatronic photographs

simplethinking.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join