It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

will Governments really be able to keep things secret anymore ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Just had a nice discussion on the UFO section of ATS about Roswell and FOIA.

Its amazing just how much info is nowadays in the public domain and just how much more is available thanks to search engines like Google.

I think in just a few short years, Governments will give up keeping things secret.

The www. is doing us all proud.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
But how does one know how much is being found out when one does not know how much is supposed to be secret, and how much still is secret?

There could be a billion things being kept secret and we don't know anything about it. (Maybe a billion is a bit of an exaggeration, to say the least?)

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I think the problem now-a-days is that even if something does get out sometimes, there is so much other crap already out there that people won't believe it a majority of the time, at least the majority of the people won't.

But yes, its getting harder and harder for secrets to remain secret, just because of the internet. Any one person who wanted to leak info only has to sit at a computer and spill thier guts and can almost do it annon, almost...they are also getting better at tracking people thru the net too. So its a 2 way street.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Our friends at the NSA would probably "get" you if you didn't make it public (e.g. forum), because they could get it using Echelon. I think it's becoming increasingly harder to retain our privacy on the internet and in the real world.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
The net has certainly made the leaking of secrets much faster and widespread than before. There will always be secrets though. Like an earlier poster said, who knows how much is out there that we don't even know exists? Additionally, since anyone who can type can spread information to millions of people on the internet the quality of the information that is out there drops.
Many times in the case of the 'net, as the amount of information on a topic increases, the amount of credible information decreases.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
there are many Government computer systems that are not hooked into the internet for this very reason. They are standalone systems, and are hooked into each other, but none of them have internet access. Unless someone downloads and takes home a disc and them uploads, we will never know what exists.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Ah, but telling the real secrets from the fake ones is like finding a needle in a haystack. So, much information to process it is overwhelming. It would be cool to create a program to sift through the data and recognize items more likely to be truth than fiction or visa versa with the same end result.

[Edited on 25-5-2004 by outsider]

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Governments will always tell lies no matter who is put in charge you always have someone who is a shady character in agovernment take the comedy Series "Yes Prime Minster" Nigel Hawthornes character Sir Humphrey is this sort of person "shady" lies always stick to a govt.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayKew
I think in just a few short years, Governments will give up keeping things secret.
The www. is doing us all proud.
Knowledge leads to awareness, especially when it involves covert Government actions to harm and enslave people. I don't think that the Government will give up keeping things secret, but we do have a good chance of coming across those secrets on the Internet.

top topics

join