It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

17Nov09 - Reid's healthcare bill - 2074 pages of bliss

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The warm fuzzy name for the latest healthcare bill is ‘‘Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act."

Only 2074 pages!

The new bill is by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (pictured below - modified).

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1fe52a99ca14.jpg[/atsimg]

Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act unveiled 17Nov09.

Mod edit: Image of obscene gesture removed.

[edit on 11/18/2009 by AshleyD]

[edit on 18-11-2009 by notreallyalive]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I'm still reading - almost done though!

Lot of mention of "Fair" and the typical emotional words, doncha know...

‘‘Sec. 2711. No lifetime or annual limits.
‘‘Sec. 2712. Prohibition on rescissions.
‘‘Sec. 2713. Coverage of preventive health services.
‘‘Sec. 2714. Extension of dependent coverage.
‘‘Sec. 2715. Development and utilization of uniform explanation of coverage
documents and standardized definitions.
‘‘Sec. 2716. Prohibition of discrimination based on salary.
‘‘Sec. 2717. Ensuring the quality of care.
‘‘Sec. 2718. Bringing down the cost of health care coverage.

Sec. 1311. Affordable choices of health benefit plans.
Sec. 1312. Consumer choice.
Sec. 1313. Financial integrity.

Will contain a public option that states can opt out of.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Back in August, people were in an uproar over the healthcare bills being proposed. There doesn't seem to be that kind of uproar this time. Pelosi passed with relatively calmness and I expect Reid to do the same.

For good or bad, healtcare will be passed.

I just find it strange that people gave up the fight so easily.

Was it because people felt it would fail on its own? Thought it would pass anyway?

Just seem odd such a fuss was made on the onset for nothing.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I feel the same way! Wondering if it has anything to do with people not wanting to read 1000-2000 pages every few days!

The media is totally focused on "agenda" aspects of these...

I really hope "we" caring people find things quickly so we can send 'em on out to the senators, etc. I've become an activist lately because of all this healthcare crap!

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
The people are becoming more lazy or distracted. Work to pay the bills and get home, eat a frozen dinner; take care of other things falling apart or taking care of the kids or .. well many other possibilities. Then to eventually rest and watch t.v. or play games or get online. It doesn't help that the job market is still very bad; on top of epidemic scares and a bit of fearmongering has them more worried about living than whats planned ahead by our "great leaders" that care about just themselves and their ideals.

We are off the agenda and will suffer for our lack of concern but mostly because we are distracted with what we already have and stress about other issues. Though when it gets near its worst in this country, I am sure more and more people will waken up after they bury their lovers or their children. Then it might explode, but only then I think. Who knows...

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I hope this becomes a team effort

Been searching this giant document by keyword and just not willing to spend dozens of hours reading.

This is cool

15 SEC. 3114. IMPROVED ACCESS FOR CERTIFIED NURSE-MID16
WIFE SERVICES.
17 Section 1833(a)(1)(K) of the Social Security Act (42
18 U.S.C. 1395l(a)(1)(K)) is amended by inserting ‘‘(or 100
19 percent for services furnished on or after January 1,
20 2011)’’ after ‘‘1992, 65 percent’’

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

(D) MEMBERS OF CONGRESS IN THE EX5
CHANGE.—
6 (i) REQUIREMENT.—Notwithstanding
7 any other provision of law, after the effec8
tive date of this subtitle, the only health
9 plans that the Federal Government may
10 make available to Members of Congress
11 and congressional staff with respect to
12 their service as a Member of Congress or
13 congressional staff shall be health plans
14 that are—
15 (I) created under this Act (or an
16 amendment made by this Act); or
17 (II) offered through an Exchange
18 established under this Act (or an
19 amendment made by this Act).

i.cdn.turner.com...

Seems Congress made sure they were covered. Still not sure what to make of this section. But I'm willing to bet they will keep their insurance.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Reid is including a public option, as he discussed a few weeks back, and each state will have the option to opt out. So, that's really NOT a public option now is it

I'm actually for socialized medicine. I just hope I'm not forced to pay for some high level insurance out of my after-tax/take home money!

I really see most of these bills as just another way to ensure
1) lack of privacy
2) higher level of monetary separation between the masses and the elite
3) way to ensure the general public gets an RF ID

Boring video of Reid stating his desire for public option, which can be denied state by state:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   

The Senate Democratic bill (Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act):

WHO'S COVERED: About 94 percent of legal residents under age 65 -- compared with 83 percent now. Government subsidies to help buy coverage start in 2014. Illegal immigrants would not receive assistance.

COST: Coverage provisions cost $849 billion over 10 years.

HOW IT'S PAID FOR: Fees on insurance companies, drugmakers, medical device manufacturers. Medicare payroll tax increased to 1.95 percent on income over $200,000 a year for individuals; $250,000 for couples. New 5 percent tax on elective cosmetic surgery. Cuts to Medicare and Medicaid. Excise tax on insurance companies, keyed to premiums paid on health care plans costing more than $8,500 annually for individuals and $23,000 for families. Fees on employers whose workers receive government subsidies to help them pay premiums. Fines on people who fail to purchase coverage.

ydr.inyork.com...

Fees and taxes imposed on companies are always passed on to consumers. In this case patients.

If they cut Medicaid and Medicare, wouldn't that lead to rationed care?

6% of Americans will still be uncovered. I thought the idea behind this was to cover the 17% that had no insurance.

Looks like it will take till 2014 or later for most of this to kick in.

[edit on 18-11-2009 by jam321]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
My favorite part of it all is the still, ever looming "Fines on people who fail to purchase coverage." Man oh man, I love being forced to purchase something in the "land of the free".

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack
My favorite part of it all is the still, ever looming "Fines on people who fail to purchase coverage." Man oh man, I love being forced to purchase something in the "land of the free".

Crazy init...

Anyone wanna find that in Reid's bill? Enough of this conspiracy stuff, I'm off to watch Enemy of the State on TV

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Back in August, people were in an uproar over the healthcare bills being proposed. There doesn't seem to be that kind of uproar this time. Pelosi passed with relatively calmness and I expect Reid to do the same.

For good or bad, healtcare will be passed.

I just find it strange that people gave up the fight so easily.

Was it because people felt it would fail on its own? Thought it would pass anyway?

Just seem odd such a fuss was made on the onset for nothing.

Well Jam I respect you very much...

I agree, it seems the clamor has subsided - from my POV I think a great deal of the fight was political foot work, damaging Obama and the Democrats public standing.
I believe there is some good in that monster bill in regards to consumer protections,
that would have been enough for me. Oh well -

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack

Well the part I hate is ending rescission - a company should be able to take your money and not provide service, this is America for god's sake!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Yes, a little known fact about this health care debacle is that it will not kick in until 2014.

A bigger unknown fact is that payments will start in 2010.

How about them there apples, we will be paying for it 4 years before we get to see any benefit.

Change we can believe in. I will not tax anyone making under $250k.

The I must be used in the context of his corporate I. Checkout corporate self and human being in regards to your Birth Certificate.

These lawyers know how to lie in a court of law, legally.

new topics

top topics

join