It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New on-off 'switch' triggers and reverses paralysis in animals with a beam of light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
New on-off 'switch' triggers and reverses paralysis in animals with a beam of light

In an advance with overtones of Star Trek phasers and other sci-fi ray guns, scientists in Canada are reporting development of an internal on-off "switch" that paralyzes animals when exposed to a beam of ultraviolet light. The animals stay paralyzed even when the light is turned off. When exposed to ordinary light, the animals become unparalyzed and wake up.

The rest of the story can be found here

Does this sound familiar to abductees?

--Z

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
This is really quite fascinating, although I can't think of a use for this that wouldn't be completely nefarious.

Well, maybe one.

You could potentially use this on prisoners (if that is acceptable, I would think debate would be necessary) and essentially stop prison riots with the flip of a switch....

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ziltoid_the_Omniscient

i bet the us military has had this tech for years now...aren't they somewhere between 20 and 40 yrs more advanced technologically? couldnt it be the military abducting people using this weapon?

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

My thoughts exactly.This does sound sound familiar to abductees.

I am very courious what the "light-sensitive materials" are that were
fed to the worms. I'm on my way to checkt it out

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I hope someone on my "side" is looking for a way to defeat this. I can see them using it against people at the next g20, or wherever suits them.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Sounds like a weapon that could replace the taser in a decade or so.

It's so fascinating how scientists can work these things out, too bad it's use will hardly ever be too positive.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Wow, great story. Thanks. I find it amazing how science imitates sci-fi. In relation to these "non existent' UFO's.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
nice find. wow is all I got.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
I hope someone on my "side" is looking for a way to defeat this. I can see them using it against people at the next g20, or wherever suits them.

Brewster window sunglasses that reflect 95% of the "offending" EM up or down and away from your eyes. We used these when working in close proximity to lasers and it is part of the emission output area of a normal laser. The target frequency light exits at a predefined angle. They are probably using something between 450nm (blue visible) and 280nm (UVa/b area). I'd be more worried about cell frequency triggering microwave weapons, they have a habit of causing permanent brain damage and work up to about 200 yards, something like a long distance lobotomy.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Another "good" use for this would be paralyzing dangerous animals for treatment and research.

I am very skeptical of the article itself. It suffers from an unprofessional layout.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
You can build the entire universe with light.

Someone already did.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I like what the guy previous to me said, "You can build a universe with light, somebody already did." lol good stuff. But i find this article very interesting... I mean, I believe with certain manipulations of Light, you can almost cause anything to happen in your external environment (and maybe even internally? Crystal use anybody?) that is different than previous with this light technology. Of course, this is only theory (something I read) and I cannot prove it so, therefore, it has no validity. However, I believe it 100%. Very excited/curious to see what else they are going to come out with, far as "light technology" goes. My best guess is the light "reacts" with some part of their brain that causes the symptoms. Anybody have any ideas/theories on how this could happen? And, only animals? I'm sure there are lights out there that if we were exposed to, similiar/different bizzare incidents would occur. Very interesting indeed

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
"When exposed to visible light, the dithienylethene became colorless again and the worms' paralysis ended. Many of the worms lived through the paralyze-unparalyze cycle. Scientists were not sure how the switch causes paralysis."

www.sciencedaily.com...

Diarylethene
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
In chemistry, diarylethene is the general name of a class of compounds that have aromatic groups bonded to each end of a carbon-carbon double bond. The simplest example is stilbene, which has two geometric isomers, E and Z.

Under the influence of light, these compounds can generally perform two kinds of reversible isomerizations:[1]

E to Z isomerizations, most common for stilbenes (and azobenzenes). This process goes through an excited state energy minimum where the aromatic rings lie at 90° to each other. This conformation drops to the ground state and generally relaxes to trans and cis forms in a 1:1 ratio, thus the quantum yield for E-Z isomerization is very rarely greater than 0.5.
6π electrocyclizations of the Z form, leading to an additional bond between the two aryl functionalities and a disruption of the aromatic character of these groups.[2] The quantum yield of this reaction is generally less than 0.1, and in most diarylethenes the close-ring form is thermally unstable, reverting to the cis-form in a matter of seconds or minutes under ambient conditions.
is thermally unstable, reverting to the cis-form in a matter of seconds or minutes under ambient conditions.
Thermal isomerization is also possible. In E-Z isomerization, the thermal equilibrium lies well towards the trans-form because of its lower energy (~15 kJ mol-1 in stilbene).[3] The activation energy for thermal E-Z isomerization is 150-190 kJ mol-1 for stilbene, meaning that temperatures above 200°C are required to isomerize stilbene at a reasonable rate, but most derivatives have lower energy barriers (e.g. 65 kJ mol-1 for 4-aminostilbene). The activation energy of the electrocyclization is 73 kJ mol-1 for stilbene.

Stilbene isomerizations under the influence of lightBoth processes are often applied in molecular switches and for photochromism.[4][5][6]

(continued at)
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by '___'eviant
This is really quite fascinating, although I can't think of a use for this that wouldn't be completely nefarious.

Switch off charging animals like bears, dogs. Switch off alien kidnappers. :-) Switch off rabid government?

[edit on 19-11-2009 by praxis]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
The article has nothing to do with abductions.

Who's pulling the trigger during an abduction?

The article said:

The JACS report describes development and successful testing of a photoswitch composed of the light-sensitive material, dithienylethene. The scientists grew transparent, pinhead-sized worms (C. elegans) and fed them a dithienylethene. When exposed to ultraviolet light, the worms turned blue and became paralyzed. When exposed to visible light, the dithienylethene became colorless again and the worms' paralysis ended. Many of the worms lived through the paralyze-unparalyze cycle. Scientists were not sure how the switch causes paralysis. The study demonstrates that photoswitches may have great potential in turning photodynamic therapy on and off, and for other applications in medicine and research, they indicate.

If your going to try to attach this to abduction cases, your going to have to show how these things can occur naturally and cause an abduction experience to occur.

Maybe this is technology that extraterrestrials use to trigger sleep paralysis. Somebody has to be hitting the switch.

If anything, this supports abductions because somebody has to be causing this to occur.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

The scientists grew transparent, pinhead-sized worms (C. elegans) and fed them a dithienylethene

Couple of problems here for an alien abduction scenario. The aliens would have to feed you dithienylethene.
Then you would also have to be transparent.

The physiology of these worms is completely different to humans.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix Rising
If anything, this supports abductions because somebody has to be causing this to occur.

I think that is the point the OP was trying to make.

However, as Ms. Daisy-Lola pointed out, it is not just the light itself that causes paralysis. The worm in the experiment had to first be fed dithienylethene for it to work.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Apparently the army has been working on a device that will temporarily paralyze a person using EMP laser light. link They plan on mounting this device on an UAV.

[edit on 19-11-2009 by Banater]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

Maybe flouride is used to sensitize humans

Originally posted by Banater
Apparently the army has been working on a device that will temporarily paralyze a person using EMP laser light. link They plan on mounting this device on an UAV.

I think I beat the US army to their device by about 20 years. I put myself in hospital with the device I made after it caused a seizure. It used two diverged red lasers with variable pulse rate.

I found that most people didnt like the beam and were immediately disorientated. The problem was that different frequencies were required for different people. I has a seizure after about 10 seconds at 55Hz but i am not normally photo-epilectic.

[edit on 19/11/2009 by LightFantastic]

top topics

join