It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heatwave in South Australia, QLD and NSW....firefighters on standby for severe Bushfires

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Its starting to get hot here in Australia, extremely hot, despite the fact that it hasnt even reached summer yet. Here, in Woomera we already broke a record with 16 consecutive days over 35 degrees celsius (95F), with 15 of those over 37 degrees celsius (98.6F). Five of those in a row were over 40 degrees celsius (104F), with the peak coming at 44.1 (111.4F) last sunday.

Today forecasts in South Australia, are varying from 37 degrees in the Adelaide hills, to 47 degrees (116.6F) in the north west pastoral regions.

Along with this, are winds in excess of 60km/h. Combine that with the risk of thunderstorms tonight and we have the perfect weather for bushfires.

Im hoping that these conditions dont extend into Victoria and NSW over the next few days. Last time this happned hundreds of people lost their lives and thousands lost their homes, over weeks of firestorms.

Unfortunantly, thes conditions are forecast to extend further east of us here in South Australia, and their are already bushfires being monitored in central Queensland.

Will continue to update this thread if conditions persist and become increasingly worse. So any Australians living in these bushfire prone areas, please be extremely cautious

www.bom.gov.au...

www.bom.gov.au...

www.bom.gov.au...

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
My god, I thought it got hot here in Texas.

Is this a once every few decades type of cycle, or just off the charts?

Not even summer...insane!!

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
My god, I thought it got hot here in Texas.

Is this a once every few decades type of cycle, or just off the charts?

Not even summer...insane!!

Well, Im in the desert so its usaully this hot, but its unseasonally warm for November

Here, in Woomera, we broke two records last week....16 days (about to be 17) over 35 degrees celsius and 6 over 40 degrees celisus....about to be 7, lol

So yeah its not to comfy

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Ah, desert. So it's unusual for the time of year, but not the temp. Got it.

The highest temp I remember in Dallas was 108, I think. Heat index has been at 114 or so. I can't imagine being in temps over 115 for long.

My father worked in Saudi Arabia before I was born. Temps over 120 regularly. He said you simply couldn't drink water fast enough. Sweating was constant, and by days end you were usually dehydrated.

Hope you don't get any big fires down there.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
It's absolutley ridiculous at the moment in SEQ. I'm an asthmatic and since this heatwave's begun with the amount of humidity i can't get a breath in at all. Smelling smoke from a few different places, but havent heard of any threats near our area at all yet..

Oz, where are you in Aust, I ask because the other day when it got to about 38 degree's here in bris (by the archerfield temp) we had a storm that night, and usually in each storm we get a massive bang or maybe 2 of thunder but we heard at least 6 HUGE bangs, i've never heard that many in one storm, everyone i've talked to has mentioned it also, do you know what that would have been about?

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Well, Im in the desert so its usaully this hot, but its unseasonally warm for November

Here, in Woomera, we broke two records last week....16 days (about to be 17) over 35 degrees celsius and 6 over 40 degrees celisus....about to be 7, lol

So yeah its not to comfy

ok ignore my asking where your from! should have read that last one before posting.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust
Oz, where are you in Aust, I ask because the other day when it got to about 38 degree's here in bris (by the archerfield temp) we had a storm that night, and usually in each storm we get a massive bang or maybe 2 of thunder but we heard at least 6 HUGE bangs, i've never heard that many in one storm, everyone i've talked to has mentioned it also, do you know what that would have been about?

I live in Woomera at the moment. It hasnt dropped below 40 for over a week, it also hasnt dropped below 35 for 16 days.

The thunder isnt anyhting unusual. What you had was a slow moving storm which was simply very active.

Previously to here, I was stationed at Darwin met Office. Thunder was pretty much a daily event. The worst storm I experienced sat directly over Darwin for 3 hours dumping 240mm of rain in that period. And the thunder was that loud for the entire period too.

There's and old saying that says "You've never heard thunder til you've lived in the tropics"

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Weather is screwy everywhere... On Monday I was in Kansas... was a very comfortable 75 there... on Thursday I get back to New Mexico and found Albuquerque to be below zero....

should be snow on the ground in Kansas and in at least the high 70's here...

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I'm here in Adelaide, South Australia ... same state but 450kms due south of OzWeatherman in Woomera.

We've also been breaking temperature records consistently for the last few years.
Last year we had our longest continuous heatwave (14 days) of temps in excess of 35c daily ... and even hit an altime record of 46c one day.

As Oz mentioned, we're still only in the tail end of our Spring and have broken yet another heat wave spring record (last week) of 5 continuous days of 35c+ days.

Todays forecast is 43c and right now at 2:30pm, it's already hit 41c

I was saying to my wife the other day that I expect that within 5 years, we'll probably hit temps of 48-49c during summer.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
On a pertinent point, with the recent headlines of revised world temp increase going to 6 degrees, how would this affect Australia? Have you made any climate models with the revised temp? Will this increase make even more parts of Australia uninhabitable?

I ask because im moving out to Oz perminantly in janurary. Was going to be in Mebourne, but the fiancee is insisting in staying in Toowoomba(which i dont mind because the heat isnt so bad there lol).

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Here in Adelaide, we used to enjoy what could be called "Meditteranean" type of weather ... hot (but not overly) summers and cool winters.

The last 5 years or so that's all essentially gone to pot ... long before we even come close to our summer peak, you can fry an egg on the footpath outside !

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Here's a selection of the latest observations, temperature in Celsius by the way

Adelaide 40.1C
Woomera 43.0C
Ceduna 45.9C
Port Augusta 44.6C
Whaylla 44.1C
Tarcoola 45.0C
Coober Pedy 42.9C
Oodnadatta 42.8C

Ceduna is currently the hottest spot

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Selahobed
On a pertinent point, with the recent headlines of revised world temp increase going to 6 degrees, how would this affect Australia? Have you made any climate models with the revised temp? Will this increase make even more parts of Australia uninhabitable?

I ask because im moving out to Oz perminantly in janurary. Was going to be in Mebourne, but the fiancee is insisting in staying in Toowoomba(which i dont mind because the heat isnt so bad there lol).

I'm not a meteorologist or involved professionally with weather as OzWeatherman is so can't make statements based on climate models or similar data.

But living here in Adelaide, South Australia and experiencing the dramatic temperature rises over the last few summers ... as well as reading and seeing reports from interstate ... I can categorically state that we in Australia are already feeling the brunt of climate changes. I also tend to feel that our record high temps will become the norm and not much chance that the trend will reverse itself.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Selahobed

Selahobed ... for your info ... current Toowoomba temp is 34c ... nice and cool (compared to Adelaide)

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
It always seems that South Australia and Victoria always seem to be hammered the most with hot temperatures, in recent times especially. Is there any reason for this? I figured the closer to the equator the hotter it would generally be. It hasn't been that bad in Brisbane these past few years, our last summer wasn't that hot, especially compared to down south. This summer should be interesting. And indeed, I am quite suprised by these weather conditions considering it's only November.

Nice thread Mr Weather Man, S F.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Selahobed

Not really my area, more to do with our climate section. They have a forecast out on the web.

I believe the higher temperatures are attributed to a moderate El Nino weather pattern this year. Its not climate change, its actually normal

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
anyone Adeleidians wanna share my sydney southerly sea breeze

Its brushing me gently as we speak...hehehehe

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I was just thinking about another thread I was reading the other day. In it someone mentioned that climate change was being swept under the rug because most regions away from the poles were somewhat unaffected, while places closer were changing more drastically. Australia is pretty far south, so...this would sort of match that line of reasoning, I guess.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
anyone Adeleidians wanna share my sydney southerly sea breeze

Its brushing me gently as we speak...hehehehe

Dont get to comfortable Missy

We will be seding this weather your way over the next couple of days....hopefully

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Cheers mate! lol Just got off the phone to the fiancee who is there already and she's complaining. I told her to be greatfull she isnt where you are, with which her response was to tell me to blow it out my arse

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join