It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I THINK; Therefore I AM, But........"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Who here has not heard this Quote at One Point in their Lives? Show of Hands? Oh yeah, I forgot I can't see on the Internet. Anyway, I'm sure that Many People have Heard it or are at least Familiar with it. I like it A lot Myself, but I feel that it isn't Quite Complete. I Might be able to Help finish it, but I don't Work for Free. Unless it's Dumb.

*Rimshot*

*ChiRp*

*chIRp* *ChiRp*

*chirp* *CHirP* *CHIRP*

Ouch! Tough Crowd.

Like I was Saying I don't work for Peanuts, but I do Work for Less. All I ask of You is to Offer me Some Respect When we Talk, but the Choice is in Your Hands. Not Mine. So whether You skimmed this just to Laugh AT me or Read it to Laugh WITH me, Feel free to Post Your Thoughts. I probably won't bite

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JacobTeDreamerIV.

Descartes was wrong though, and his philosophies regarding the mind are generally regarded more as inspiring romantic sentiments. The problem is that he came to his conclusion by self-examination. He couldn't feel or detect his mental processes working individually the way the parts of a machine do. He considered it whole and indivisible... at least so far as the consciousness ("I") is concerned. The unconscious mind has been speculated and explored since antiquity - and I'm not sure of Descartes exact views on it.

Regardless, Freud's work pretty much laid the foundation for the formal rejection of Rene's perception of consciousness. Roger Sperry put it to rest when he discovered that slicing the corpus callosum can literally cleave the consciousness in two. While what we don't understand about the brain still far outstrips what we do know - the application of fMRI to mapping activity and structure has proven invaluable to unlocking the secrets of our brains. We can pull images and words directly out of the mind via BCI, or temporarily "knock out" very specific cognitive functions - such as the ability to match faces with identities - by introducing random noise to specific structures. The human brain really is like a gear-box machine with over (IIRC) 400 structures responsible - though it's function isn't manifest in teeth, springs, or cogs - but complex and seemingly chaotic cascading storms of electrical activity. These cognitive "gears" of the mind are responsible for either specific cognitive tasks, or as part of a redundant chain of multiple regions responsible for separate tasks - yet can be utilized in tandem to produce new and unique purposes.

We're even starting to accurately emulate sections of it on the synaptic level... as well as well into molecular emulation.

... they're just working with the neocortical column of rats for now. At the end of the video, note, that he suggests full human brain emulation in about 10 years.

[edit on 18-11-2009 by Lasheic]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Hi,

You know, I feel like it's right on the tip of my tongue. Like any second, a lightbulb will go off over my head and I'll get it. I have these "little light bulbs" go off all the time lately. I've been "working" on this for a long time, and I'm starting to realize the truth. Still I'm afraid to force it, because I think the more you push, the harder it pushes back.

I think that things in this "real life" game are similar to video games. You get into "the zone" and are doing really well, then as soon as you stop and THINK about what you're doing; As soon as you say to yourself, "OMG I'm doing really well!" That's when I always screw up. Thinking seems to get in the way of knowing.

So, "I think therefore I am, But..." is it supposed to end one way over another? Do you know the answer? Is there really even an answer? I mean, Isn't the "answer" different for everyone?

I do appreciate all of the "pushing" that's been going on lately. Any more pushing on your part or any one else's into the right direction is appreciated.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Jeez, took you Two long enough. I Feel that We already finished the New Quote. I Posed the Question. He Analyzed it. Then You Contemplated it. Of course, now where does that Leave US?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   

What's next? Pizza and brews of course.

All in a day's work.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

I Feel that to Be an Excellent Idea. Also, Let there be Cake! of course, Last I heard the Cake was a Lemon Lyme. Let's just Hope that's False.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacobTeDreamerIV.
reply to post by Lasheic

I Feel that to Be an Excellent Idea. Also, Let there be Cake! of course, Last I heard the Cake was a Lemon Lyme. Let's just Hope that's False.

They say the cake is a lie. That there is no cake. I'm ExtrEmEly concerned/currious as to why you would think the cake was Lemon Lyme However...

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by The Real Josh

Well My Poppa SoL, May have taught me that, but I can't really say either way. It's Kinda Bent that Rule, but Whateva.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Okay, can you tell me then, what do you know, about the sun?

If that's permissible, thanks.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Wow! that is a Great Question.

Hmm.....

Well if Above is a Forge, then what would Lie Bellow?

I know WE as a People consider it Rude to Answer a Question with an Inquiry, but I Feel it's only that way if the wordS are Hollow. 'Cause it Might break.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Thanks, I'm thinking about this. Honestly I can interpret that 23 different ways, but.. yeah.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Good, I'm more than Happy to help. From what I understand, it's the only thing I'm good at which is Nuthin'

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
If you can answer me This then a Winrawr is you. Would it be worse to Forget everything You've ever known, or to Remember everything you ever Forgot?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Welcome Aboard!!!

Here are some good links to help you in your journey here at ATS...

Terms and Conditions

Complaints and How to Contact ATS Staff

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Most of all .... Have Fun

Just a U2U away

Semper

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Wow, talk about a Journey through time. This was my first ever post on this amazing website; back when I didn't know what it was that I was trying to do. I've got a bit more focus now, but it's an ever developing skill that I practice. Only problem is I managed to forget the password and thought it would be a good idea to make this account irretrievable. Oh, well Live, Learn, and Love.

top topics

join