It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman accused of hate crime against Muslim

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I think this hatred against muslims is increasing quite a bit lately, I sure hope it cools off. Because you know what they say. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hatred, hatred leads to suffering.

Nothing good comes out of it.

Just lately my mother who is muslim has been harrased in work by a chrstian calling my mother an antichrist, she's going to hell etc.

And on a bus while going shopping another woman starting telling my mother how much she hates her and muslims, and she followed her and kept harrasing her saying nasty things, my mother just said everyone has the right to their opinion and tried ignoring her.

If history has taught us anything, it's that hatred causes suffering to everyone including yourself. It's like a virus and it spreads around everyone you love.

Stay positive. Because love is also like a virus, but it can spread and help cause happiness and joy to everyone around you.

Peace

[edit on 19-11-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

lol wow im tired of hearing of what people think of sharia law and their interpretation of it. u can take any relgion and the books are laws and twist it any way u like to make them seem like evil devils and villains. i seems some people have nothing better to then to try and make islam look bad. i mean do u hate islam that much that u take up so much time of ur life trying to convince others to hate it to by pointing at things u read and taking the wrong meaning from it.

i am muslim, i love islam. i love allah, and i love america. so does that make me a bad person to u. im not fond of christanity but i dont wast my time going over evey christain txt trying to find things that sound bad and make them sound worse.

lol its just funny to me what people do. when they dont understand are they are afraid of something

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmacbeth
if a muslim man ripped a cross off of a white christians neck u all would be rdy to hang him. just hoping people will keep it real

salaam

No. Actualy I would be thinking "what a f'n ahole".
Just like if it was a black man ripping a logo off some asian guys t-shirt pocket, or a white jehovah male knocking the cap off of a catholic mexican male, or an black woman knocking a toupee of some white guy while calling him a stupid cracker.
Hate crimes are stupid. Period.
A crime is a crime. Too many whiners and babies. Get over it. If the law is broken, then penalties are applied. Who cares if you are a hateful prick or just a moron, or just made a bad choice of judgment. You performed an illegal action, you pay the price. If it is a crime against a child that is unable to comprehend, help themselves/defend themselves, then yes by all means apply special penalties. Otherwise just another case of one thinking their religion/race/gender/sexual preference is special so please hold my hand and wipe my butt for me because I'm so much more special then all the rest.

But the whole discussion is moot. People are what they are and stuck in their mode of thinking and no amount of talking will ever change that.

I'm thru with this lame topic.

[edit on 11/18/2009 by bigdog36]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Yes, actually. Such stories have made the news quite frequently here in the UK. It seems the application of the law in the US may be at fault, as opposed the the law itself as it functions as intended here in the UK.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
But three years is way too much and so is 25k.
25K is like whatever, but three years is lunacy!

What's lunacy is the fact that adults act like this.
She was acting like a child, pulling on this woman's head scarf. As far as I'm concerned, she should be put in jail just for the sheer idiocy of the situation.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Let me get this straight... pulling off someone's scarf is a hate crime?

This is absolutely absurd. If a non muslim had their scarf pulled off, this would not even be in the news. Don't get me wrong, I don't condone a person removing another persons scarf. It's just plain rude.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by NJE03

And in one statement, you show a complete lack of understanding as to what the scarf means to a Muslim woman. I'll give you a hint, it isn't there to keep her warm.

Like I said in an earlier post (which I doubt you read), it's akin to going up to a non-muslim woman and pulling down her skirt.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by NJE03

Yeah she sure doesn't need 3 years, it's madness.

But it is worse to pull off a scarf from a muslim than a non muslim, because the mere act of doing it shows their hatred towards the individuals privacy and life.

It's the same as a man ripping off the scarf of a nun cause of his hatred for christians. He's basically displaying his hatred for the nun's entire life and dreams.

Or a man ripping the clothes off a woman because he believes all women should walk around naked...not cool haha.

Hatred = not nice man...chill.

[edit on 19-11-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
This is why I don't think that there should be hate crimes.

If she pulled the scarf off someone who wasn't a Muslim, what would the punishment be?

Somehow, I can't believe that yanking a scarf should be a felony.

its a felony coz that woman wasn't wearing scarf for fashion ,the scarf was religious matter..
its like a person shouldn't yank a womans skirt..the point is when a woman is covering something you donot yank it..its wildly disrespectful ..
BUT I Agree that 3yrs is injustice but again its not a muslim woman fault...
she didn't know the punishment will be this..hell no one can imagine there will be 3yrs and 25k ..
and I DONOT THINK THEY WILL SENT HER TO JAIL FOR 3 YRS

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
People have gotten less jailtime in the UK for rape and murder than for simply yanking off a headscarf. Muslims need to stop taking themselves too seriously and take a few chill pills.

Ahh the real problem is that it is OUR pathetic weakness in government and the judiciary that allow these laws.

Opens the door for opportunity.

People will always take advantage of the upper hand, if they are given it.

Moral of this story is, the stupid laws that create this inequality directly in the name of Equality, are whats going to undo any good done under the guise of good will.

This should be thrown out of court as a precedence to other future cases - REAL HATE is not pulling on clothing. It is directed and targeted and with malicious intent to hurt or worse.

Not embarrass.

Welcome to the new world. inshallah.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Yep. Crazy punishment.

Oddly though - and as unbelievable as this may sound - had the woman in question shown minded her own business and shown some personal responsibility, restraint, and not bought into the all abiding paranoia and hate spread about islamic people by drinking the ignorance kool aid being sold by certain sections of society she wouldn't be facing any of this at all and this thread wouldn't be here, would it?

When it boils down to it, the whole mess is her fault.

Only if you can take her actions, apply it to a non-muslim or minority, and find the outcome is the same.

Otherwise, someone else is to blame for this.

Her actions are not justifiable. Agreed. But unless equality across all people is shown, someone somewhere is skewing the reality of it all.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Let's be honest here. If the victim weren't a Muslim, most of you wouldn't be at all bothered my this dumbassed chick getting the minimum sentence for her actions.

How would the article read tho?

"Woman accused of hating baseball cap wearing person" potentially receiving 3 years for knocking off the baseball cap of some woman she saw supporting the opposing team?

You'd bet there would be an outcry over that also.

Petty crimes don't warrant harsh penalties.

Some of us actually believe that.... oO

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
This is a problem with many sources. If anything this is a case of assult and battery. Here are the problems as I see it: 1) Too much PC, where people are walking on egg shells for offending someone. 2) Part of this is the Muslim community. Not because they are Muslim, but because those who are putting out the statements are not using strong language when actions like this are occuring. Anyone can condone an action, or condem it, but the weight it not there. Stating after the FT. Hood incident or any where it is a war of ideologies that is being waged, means you have to use language dealing with where a person is going after they die, not just condem or condone. 3) Voluntary seperation of communities. Too long we see where communities start to become cliquish, and the ideals of west is west and east is east seperates people instead of bringing them together. 4) And the final part is fear, fear of our own neighbors.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

And in one statement, you show a complete lack of understanding as to what the scarf means to a Muslim woman. I'll give you a hint, it isn't there to keep her warm.

Like I said in an earlier post (which I doubt you read), it's akin to going up to a non-muslim woman and pulling down her skirt.

That was a poor analogy you gave earlier.

1) non-Muslim women do not wear skirts because their religion tells them to.
2) They certainly don't wear skirts as a sign of modesty.
3) How is removing the clothing that covers your lower body the same as removing a piece of clothing that covers your head? Is removing a pair of jeans from somebody's legs the same as removing a baseball hat from their head?

The act was wrong because one person invaded the personal space of another person. That is mainly what the issue is, or at least, should be. But don't make silly comments comparing the yanking of a headscarf to the removal of a non-Muslim woman's skirt.

[edit on 19/11/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by Snarf

Not at all. If this chick had yanked the scarf off a white woman because it was a white woman, she would be facing the same charges. if the roles had been reversed and the motive the same, the charges would be the same.

I'm curious, Snarf. Why do so many people such as yourself believe that these are the only times that motive should not be a factor in sentencing? It's very strange that so many people have no problem with a criminal's motive being factored into the sentence they're given unless that motive happens to be bigotry. So, explain to me - why is it you think bigotry should be the only motive in a crime that gets no consideration?

hate crimes are the ultimate bs- for example if I stomp a man to death because I just fancy seeing what it is like to do so, as opposed to stomping a man to death because he is black, I will receive less jail time

It is elevation of one victim over another, and in theory these laws are meant to apply to all groups equally, but if you have any common sense you will know that is less likely to be applied when whites are the victims

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

This was "bumped" to a class 4 felony because of the new Hate Crimes legislation Obama signed into law just a few weeks ago, making it a class 4 felony, a Federal offense.

Obama signs hate crimes bill into law
October 28, 2009 7:39 p.m. EDT

Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Act

To loud applause, Obama hailed the hate crimes measure in the bill as a step toward change to "help protect our citizens from violence based on what they look like, who they love, how they pray."

www.cnn.com...

People were very focused on crimes against gays, but the new law covers a lot more than that, while at the same time it removed the restrictions of having to be involved in a federal activity such as voting, etc.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by His Doodness
have you all lost your minds??

how is yanking a scarf off of someone considered assault?

Spitting on someone, or throwing a glass of water on someone is considered an assault, so why wouldn not physically yanking something off someones' person be, also?

What damages were done to the muslim woman? torn scarf? emotional damage?

For a Muslim woman, yes, it is considered a very personal thing to show their hair in public, and quite offensive to them to have to remove it themsleves, let alone to have it forcefully removed.

sounds like a civil suit to me, not a criminal suit.

Actually it is a Federal offense now. Considered to be a major felony.

lets say i was in that supermarket, and there was someone else there who hated me for whatever reason. so they walk up, say something hurtful, pull a hat off my head(or scarf or whatever, doesn't really matter), and throw it on the ground. should i call the police? would you?

If it was induced by hate that falls under the Hate Crimes legislation, yes, you can call the police. The burden of proof does not fall upon you to prove it was caused by hate, the burden of proof falls to the accused to provide proof it was not Hate ariented. Good luck with that, because in many cases, it could be impossible to prove a thought.

if you are a reasonable person you most likely would answer no. no crime was commited here. at most, the muslim woman should get a restraining order and sue for emotional distress.

Actually, the new Hate Crimes legislation allows for them to also pursue a civil suit, as well as to prosecute under Federal statues. She won't need a restraining order, as it is most likely this woman will be used as a tool to make a point to society. I will leave it up to you to decipher that point. A crime was committed here, the real question was, does it constitute being charged with a class 4 felony? Would seem so.

law enforcement had no business getting involved in this.

Not only did they have a right, they were required to by law.

am i the only one who sees it this way?

In some ways, believe it or not I agree with you. At most this should have been handled as a simple battery, but then, where were the people when this was signed into law October 29, 2009?

I will give you a clue. They were focused on gay rights if people were paying any attention, and for the ones not paying any attention, it was slipped in on the Defense Spending Bill.

I was attacked for pointing this out in another thread.

Oh well.

[edit on 11/18/2009 by His Doodness]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
You know, some of the reponses here are laughable.

The woman acted irresponsibly and did something stupid that she had no business to do.

Its her fault. Her actions. Her responsibility.

Trying to come up with excuses to justify her stupidity is symptomatic of much deeper problems with society.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

I am a christian and I'm against islam.But,I would never pull the scarf off
a muslim woman or call her names for the following reasons...
1.It's childish to pull off something someone else is wearing.
2.Name calling is rude and unproductive.
3.Any christian who would do this should question their christian growth.
4.The scarfs those women wear is part of their faith.The Bible, in 1 Cor11,
a woman's head is to be covered.I don't know what the quran says,it
should be close to what the Bible says.
5.Why bring negative attention to yourself.
6.Is the deed worth the price you will pay?
I would be more understanding if she had suffered a personal loss at
ft.Hood,if a loved one had been killed.I don't think that's the case here.

We have to remember to keep our hands to ourselves,no touching,no
problem!We shouldn't let name calling bother us as well,just walk away.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
? I am abit surprised USA has a justice system still?
Is it in a book that is kept in one piece? I thought they still kept changing the laws to suit the crimes of Bush? Which was the reason they dissablembled the book, and keep notes instead. "It's abit like scrabble" George told me (laugh).

I'm surprised it isn't legal to knock the hats off, I mean, whats the point in invading their nations, slaughtering over a million of them and finally admitting it was all lies (worded better than my lousy attempt at mass illusion) and not even legal to knock off a hat or two back home? /irony

I mean if you are evil, at least have the decency to stay evil, don't keep swinging to and fro, it gives us headaches about what to do and how to judge the nation. Either you like torture or you don't, it shouldn't be like it's only considered enjoyable on Wednesdays, try to keep stuff like that as a general rule of the thumb.

It's hysterically funny in a cosmic sense, the world is strange.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join