It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman accused of hate crime against Muslim

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Woman accused of hate crime against Muslim

www.chicagobreakingnews.com

A woman who allegedly yanked the headscarf of a Muslim woman in a supermarket two days after the Fort Hood shootings has been charged with a hate crime.

Abusumayah alleged that Kenney made a reference to the Fort Hood shootings while passing her in an aisle of the supermarket.

Minutes later, Abusumayah alleges, Kenney approached her from behind near the cash register and pulled on her headscarf.

If convicted of the class 4 felony, she could be jailed for up to three years and fined as m
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

If convicted of the class 4 felony, she could be jailed for up to three years and fined as much as $25,000.

Okay this is stupid of her and she needs to be brought to jail so she understands the seriousness of this incident.

But THREE YEARS?????

That's a little, no that's very much over the top man.
She looks like she's full of hate judging from her picture.

But three years is way too much for this incident.

Unfortunately I guess the seriousness and sensitivity of the issue is right now perhaps more important than the crime.

But three years is way too much and so is 25k.
25K is like whatever, but three years is lunacy!

www.chicagobreakingnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+16 more 
posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
This is why I don't think that there should be hate crimes.

If she pulled the scarf off someone who wasn't a Muslim, what would the punishment be?

Somehow, I can't believe that yanking a scarf should be a felony.

+24 more 
posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
People have gotten less jailtime in the UK for rape and murder than for simply yanking off a headscarf. Muslims need to stop taking themselves too seriously and take a few chill pills.

+31 more 
posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
hate crimes are funny

if a white guy calls a black guy a #, #, or #....or calls a gay guy a #, #, or #, then punch them, they go to jail for a hate crime.

But call a white man a white blue-eyed devil, paddy-o, fay gray boy, honkey, cracka mother f'er and punch him the face. Nothing. Hell, they'd probably take the white guy to jail for simply thinking of a racist term in retaliation.

Another prime example of hypocrisy in our politically correct society.

[edit on 18-11-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
Muslims need to stop taking themselves too seriously and take a few chill pills.

Muslims aren't running the country or creating laws here
if she gets 3years it's because the court gave her 3 years not muslims

I do admit 3years is just crazy, and scary
but to think that rapists get less jail time then this makes me re-realize how cuckoo the justice system is.

It's so incredibly flawed.

But one thing to consider though, it is important to take control over hate crimes because if they don't it can quickly spread like wildfire.

maybe 1year as a second offense, sure but 3years as a first offense?

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Yep. Crazy punishment.

Oddly though - and as unbelievable as this may sound - had the woman in question shown minded her own business and shown some personal responsibility, restraint, and not bought into the all abiding paranoia and hate spread about islamic people by drinking the ignorance kool aid being sold by certain sections of society she wouldn't be facing any of this at all and this thread wouldn't be here, would it?

When it boils down to it, the whole mess is her fault.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I think 3 years is justified for a felony assault. With anything racist related all the white racists come crying about how unfair the system is for them.
All races get screwed over by the justice system equally around the globe so stop your whining.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
There should be no jail time. There is an underlying pool of resentment toward these "minorities" and justifiably so. More and more of our rights, freedoms, and liberties are being stripped away to make this country more suitable to them.

You cannot blame the woman that did this, she is just weak minded enough to believe the crap spewed forth from the government and MSM. People are scared, people are in a panic. Whether it be the big bad terrorists or it be the common cold. This society is bludgeoned to death with fear propaganda.

They should not have arrested her, this is not an assault nor is it battery.

[edit on 18-11-2009 by Doom and Gloom]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

When it boils down to it, the whole mess is her fault.

couldn't agree more. But i think the premise of the argument is that the woman didnt' do anything when compared to a pedophile or a murderer, but that there are countless examples of when a sexual predator got a much lighter sentence for raping a 12 year old boy, than this woman go for removing a scarf.

IMO - it's called racism. You prosecute a white woman harder because she showed racism towards a Muslim.

Im not saying the womans form of racism was right.

But i am saying you cannot fight racism with MORE racism.

And hate crimes, most of the time, are racism. If they apply to blacks, asians, Muslims, Gays, etc...why do they not apply to white Caucasians?

From DraconianKing

All races get screwed over by the justice system equally around the globe so stop your whining.

We're not talking about "Around the world" we're talking about right here in the US of A. Show me one law that says its a hate crime to beat up a white guy while calling him a honkey or a gringo.

[edit on 18-11-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

It's an assault, bumped up to Felony 4 due to her clear motive. She received the minimum sentence, and will very likely end up on a quick parole or house arrest.

Maybe after she gets out on parole, this chick will learn to keep her hands to herself.

Let's be honest here. If the victim weren't a Muslim, most of you wouldn't be at all bothered my this dumbassed chick getting the minimum sentence for her actions.

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Let's be honest here. If the victim weren't a Muslim, most of you wouldn't be at all bothered my this dumbassed chick getting the minimum sentence for her actions.

YES. Lets be honest.

If that chick were NOT muslim - this wouldn't even be a problem. The woman would never have even went to jail

And you don't see a problem with that?

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Actually, hate crime laws do apply when whites are victims. So a little research, cure that ignorance

The trouble is getting them to apply when it's men being targeted. For some dumbassed reason, most courts in the US still approach it as if men should be able to "take it on the chin" or something of the like.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
We can't use racial profiling but there are hate crimes? This woman does not need jail time but how about 500 hours of community service at a local mosque.

Also, there is a LARGE disparity between white males and ANY other race, religion or sexual preference being charged with a hate crime. This is not whining it is fact so please do not go down that road. A few months ago a man was trying to defend his son who was attacked by multiple black gang members but there was no hate crime charge even though explicatives were used and racial slurs against the white kid.

Political correctness aided in the killing of those soldiers at Ft Hood because no one had the balls to say a Muslim may have gone rogue. The evidence is there but don;t say anything because the ACLU or Al Sharpton may wind up on your doorstep with a CNN anchorman.

What this country needs is a dose of reality before we have another 9/11 on our hands....

PS - Yes, this dumb ignorant redneck does deserve something but not jail time. Although if she does, maybe she will join ISlam while she is in for protection.

[edit on 18-11-2009 by esdad71]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Not at all. If someone's likely to engage in random violence against someone just because of their sex, race, religion, whatever, then that makes them a problem for everyone of that group. This chick falls into that category.

I wouldn't say she's especially dangerous, but hey, I don't write the minimum sentencing laws in Illinois.

Next time she'll know to keep her pudgy, pasty little hands to herself. it's a lesson I learned in kindergarten. I wonder what her excuse could be.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Next time she'll know to keep her pudgy, pasty little hands to herself. it's a lesson I learned in kindergarten. I wonder what her excuse could be.

Im not saying that she was justified in what she did. It is assault.

What i am saying is that her punishment was much more severe than if she had done this to a white woman.

And that is called racism.

Pull a scarf off of a Muslim - 3 years and become a felon

pull a scarf off of a white woman - who gives a damn?

Racism.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Not at all. If this chick had yanked the scarf off a white woman because it was a white woman, she would be facing the same charges. if the roles had been reversed and the motive the same, the charges would be the same.

I'm curious, Snarf. Why do so many people such as yourself believe that these are the only times that motive should not be a factor in sentencing? It's very strange that so many people have no problem with a criminal's motive being factored into the sentence they're given unless that motive happens to be bigotry. So, explain to me - why is it you think bigotry should be the only motive in a crime that gets no consideration?

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
What this woman did is dispicable. This was not just a simple assault, or harrassment. This was an act of violence. She attacked a woman simply because of her religious affiliation.
This is what constitutes it as a "hate crime", which it is, and why it must not be tolerated in our country.

You guys know we can't tolerate this type behavior. The woman in the grocery store did absolutely nothing to her except be there, and be Muslim. Hate crime. She's getting what she deserves, and what she bought with her own inability to control her frustration and hatred.

These type people are frightening. I hope she has time to cool her heels in jail and give some thought to who was "in the wrong".:shk:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

personal responsibility, restraint, and not bought into the all abiding paranoia and hate spread about islamic people by drinking the ignorance kool aid being sold by certain sections of society she wouldn't be facing any of this at all and this thread wouldn't be here, would it?

On the other hand how responsible is it for Congress to make politically correct legislation that punishes such a tiny infraction more than say a rape or a punch in the face? This woman wouldn't be facing these charges if Congress had been responsible. It's this kind of ridiculous justice that will incite people to extreme measures. People know and understand what is fair!

It's also not fair and rather cowardly for government and courts not to take an in depth look at these Muslims showing violent behavior and rhetoric whenever and wherever it occurs. It is only making the problem worse and glossing over that real problem.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Wouldn't community service at a mosque be a more suitable punishment than jail time?

The attacker looks like she lacks irony in her diet. Perhaps she'll get some when she's forced to wear a hijab while she scrubs the floors?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join