It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: 'We've restored America's standing'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
It will be interesting to hear from our non-American ATS members if this is how they feel or true. There is no doubt that under the Bush Administration our image around the world had taken a beating. The question becomes do you feel he has made a difference? and if so how?

What do you expect from Obama from the rest of his term? Do you think we will see another 4 years after his 1rst term is over?

Obama: 'We've restored America's standing'

Beijing, China (CNN) -- A little more than a year after his election, President Obama said his administration has laid the groundwork for success on global and domestic matters.

"I think that we've restored America's standing in the world, and that's confirmed by polls,"

"I think a recent one indicated that around the world, before my election, less than half the people -- maybe less than 40 percent of the people -- thought that you could count on America to do to the right thing. Now it's up to 75 percent."

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
At first i loved Obama and i was all for him. But....nothing has changed much. Especially foreign policy wise.

To be honest i don't know what i expected. It would have been naive to think he'd pull U.S forces out of Iraq and Afghanistan. He's pretty much done the opposite.

Him being awarded the Nobel prize also seemed very odd.

I don't think America's standing has improved in my opinion. Maybe only very slightly, but there is still a long way to go.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I don't know how to say any of this without seeming racially insensitive.

In Japan, people are more taken by the fact that he is of African-American descent than anything he hopes to accomplish or that he has already done. My Japanese wife doesn't care too much at all, but my sister in law is Obama crazy. She has a wide assortment of collectable Obama memorabilia. I don't think they like Americans any more or any less. They are caught up on the first African-American president. At the end of the day, they want us to leave Okinawa, and they are looking to improve their relations with China.

In China, I hate to say this, but I believe he will hurt our standing. My last wife is from communist China. I can say with certainty that Chinese people do not like anyone with dark skin. When I first brought my ex Chinese wife home, she looked at the neighbors, and said "we got black people". Like someone would say that we have roaches. No Joke. That was when I first realized I had made a mistake.

Edit for 1 a.m. typos

[edit on 18-11-2009 by tamusan]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I do not think so, lol. People just need to turn on the tv, and see america blowing up weddings.

Was interesting to see obama and how he greeted his fellow leaders though.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Obama hasn't done anything, the only change in the American government is the colour of the presidents skin.

Sure Obama seems like a nice guy, but what has he actually done except give some great speeches?

CX

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Well i'm in the UK and do keep an eye on our friends across the water, but i must admit this is a bit of a shock to me.

If there's any more confidence in the US to do the right thing, i would imagine a lot of that has to do with Obama being in charge and not Bush. Has much changed since Obama took over? Not from what i hear around here, but because the clown Bush is no longer in charge, people automatically think that all is well again. It's just a personality thing.

To be honest, i'm not sure the average person really has a clue about a particular country's standing, even their own.

As for polls, they are usualy a few hundred people out of hundreds of millions, and those people polled are probably picked carefully.

What actually dictates what a country's standing is anyway? Is it how business has improved? How much debt they are in? How they treat their citizens?

Whatever it is, i reckon you're still pretty much as screwed as you were a few months ago.

CX.

[edit on 18/11/09 by CX]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
LOL talk about a man who keeps finding his foot in his mouth.

Yesterday he promoted the use of internet to be more commonly shared with US, but he forgot to mention how he has been wanting to limit information that is available on the internet especially when dealing with swine flu. Gotta do something to get people tuned in for those town hall meetings.

Needless to say, that China wasn't convinced.

He said that the internet is a good tool for average people to be heard, even though he doesn't want to hear them.

Ha!

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Thanks Tam

It is always to get a different perspective on situations.
I had a similar experience with my ex wife she was from Guatemala.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
It's just too early for me to agree or disagree here.

I can agree he is not bush, as others have pointed out. This does not validate his assertion though. I'm glad you started this thread to get a gauge on how other country's people view this statement.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by WishForWings

I've said it before and I'll say it again....

He stopped the torture of prisoners and he is treating the world as peers instead of inferiors. That's one BIG difference.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Funny! The man is a miracle worker. Glad he is so proud of himself. No surprise seeing as how his ego landed in Asia two days ahead of himself.

With that job done, maybe he will stay home and work on the endless problems we have in our own country. He can start by working on his own poll numbers.

President Barack Obama's job approval rating has dipped below 50 percent nationally for the first time, as Americans worry about the war in Afghanistan, a new poll released Wednesday found.

The Quinnipiac University poll showed 48 percent of Americans approve of the way Obama is handling his job as president, compared to 42 percent who disapprove.

www.newsmax.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
He stopped the torture of prisoners

Who said he got america to stop torturing.

Obama does not have the power ove rthe military to do that.

He may have the power to get someone tortured and killed, but i doubt he could stop a thriving business.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Hey Barry, how is American's standing with the Tah-lee-bahn and those little nutters Ahmed-en-jihad and Kim Jong Ill?

Maybe you should take a meeting with them and clear up that whole "war on terror" thing.

[edit on 18-11-2009 by AwakeinNM]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Is he making those claims based on a few speeches he gave and a few bows he took?

Really, there isn't a person that can defend this claim(although they will try and bring in Bush and conservatives and other common themes).

America is still fighting two wars, still throwing missiles into Pakistan where we aren't at war. Haven't resolved the Israeli-Palestinian issue. Iran and N Korea are still doing what they want. No telling what the CIA is up to.

Basically, Obama has been very mute on foreign affairs IMO. His first year has been basically focused on the domestic front with bailouts, taking over companies, and of course healthcare.

What do you expect from Obama from the rest of his term? Do you think we will see another 4 years after his 1rst term is over?

Starting in January 2010, he will NOT be able to pass any controversial bills due to Congresses concerns about reelection.If Republicans gain seats in Congress in 2010, I don't expect much for his last two years. Obama will be reelected if he can get the economy going in 2011 leading into 2012. Otherwise, the game is over for him.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
No Mr. president you have not restored ourstanding you've only made it worse cease and desist and find someone capable of rational thought that won't make all of U.S. slaves.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Nope not going to buy it, it is going to take a heck of alot more than prostrating himself around the world to the leaders to restore value and respect to the new country on the block who has proven itself to be as responsible as a a kid with ADHD.

Look I am not out to bash anyone, but the way things are looking we have lost face and no amount of diplomatic strategy is going to recoup it.

What will earn our new status will be when Americans and their allies stand up for themselves and begin to rebuild our infrastructure from the inside out, from the ground up.

There will be no bailouts for the average citizen, we will have to create our own solutions of the people and by the people for the people, bypass the elites, the global fanatics.

We are the solution!

Remember 'we' are the ones who taught them the strategies of global enslavement, of commerce and capitalism. So really 'they' are the new kids on the block, ppl just need to wake up and remember .

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I'm certainly glad he thinks so... I'm not so sure I agree with his take on that...

Our allies are, it's true, still our allies. Our enemies? Still our enemies, yet somehow emboldened by a vacillating foreign policy.

Mr. President.

Make a flippin' decision, please? Whether I agree, or disagree, at this point is almost secondary. You are coming across as, to me anyhow, weak and indecisive. Bad things to be as the most powerful and influential, supposedly, world leader.

The people who voted for you, and those who didn't for that matter, are waiting. Waiting makes us nervous, and nervous voters tend to vote for the other guy...

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Americans want decisions on a number of issues, especially Afghanistan and Obama spends his time on world apologetic tours and campaign like speeches while in the US. In view of his accomplishments he looks like a weak, ineffective president. More and more Jimmy Carter comes to mind to compare him too.

Americans don't agree because Obama's poll numbers are falling andObama: Twelve months on, the star falls back to earth or Obama, Geithner Receive Failing Grades From Economists in Survey

So if THE WORLD sees Obama in a positive light, as and effective president, a more trustworthy leader, then the world perceives Obama differently than the American people!

Where is that poll the Obama was talking about? I'd like to see it!

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Obama’s Asia Trip: Lots of Problems, Not Much Adulation

SEOUL, South Korea — For all of President Obama’s laying claim to the title of “America’s first Pacific president,” Asia was always going to be a tough nut for him to crack.

Without the first lady at his side, he would not have the kind of round-the-clock coverage the first couple got during their inaugural tour of Europe. Without a popular gesture like elevating the plight of the Palestinian people to equal status of the Israelis’, he would not be showered with the kind of praise he got for his speech to the Muslim world in Cairo.

And without a stop in his boyhood home of Indonesia, he would not bask in the kind of adulation he received in Accra, Ghana.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Well, from over here in the UK I can say with absolute total certainty that he has been in office since January, so he's had 10 months as opposed to the previous 8 years of Bush.

Has he restored America's standing? Well its nice to have someone in office who at least pays lip service and attention to the rest of the world instead of ignoring it because its inconvinient.

But thats about all anyone can say at the present time, because its not been long enough.

I realise that 10 months is an eternity for the channel hopping MTV internet generation, but in the real world its no time at all, and in politics, to effect change, its a couple of hours max.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join