It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Fourth Kind" -- Internet Hoax Promotion Materials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
New item:

Alaska newspapers, movie studio reach settlement over 'Fourth Kind'

www.newsminer.com...
[snip]

Universal created an elaborate series of online news articles in the promotion for its movie, “The Fourth Kind.” The movie claims to be a true story about a plague of alien abductions in Nome a decade ago.

To bolster that claim, articles were posted that professed to be from real Alaska publications, but were actually created to bolster the movie’s storyline.

The articles included an obituary and news story about the death of a character in the movie, Dr. William Tyler, that supposedly were from the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner. Neither the story nor the obituary ever appeared in the newspaper.

Fake articles were listed from other newspapers in Alaska, including The Nome Nugget, alongside authentic news stories. Part of the settlement also requires Universal to remove the fake “news articles” promoting the movie from the internet.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
GOOD! I hope they get lots of money. The way they marketed this movie was stupid and makes the ufo/alien community look stupid. People believed this crap was based on real events. I believe in alien abduction 100% but what was portrayed in this movie was fake and people should know that. Its misleading!! Im glad they sued!

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
dude chill. They had to sell their movie somehow. its called a PR stunt

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
How could anything with Milla Jovovich in it be bad? Based on a true story is something we have been seeing since Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I dont understand.

I never thought it was real to begin with.
Just like the Cloverfield sites, and the LOST Dharma articles. Heck, the people from LOST created an entire fictitious company's website.

Viral marketing in the fad right now.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Remember the original War of the Worlds? Now that was what I call good movie marketing lol...I have seen the forth kind, its OK.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by superdebz

Yes it was BUT it was a bad one that obviously backfired on them. Just google Nome, Alaska, the residents there were NOT happy with how they marketed this movie.. MANY people thought it was real and probably still do. This is what is wrong with people. People who believe in this stuff already get flack for it then you have a movie coming out saying OMG ITS REAL when its really not and it just makes those who really believe and those who have experienced it feel cheap and then it makes it harder to even talk about it because people will just say "oh its not real." Great idea Hollywood

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Originally posted by superdebz

Yes it was BUT it was a bad one that obviously backfired on them. Just google Nome, Alaska, the residents there were NOT happy with how they marketed this movie.. MANY people thought it was real and probably still do. This is what is wrong with people. People who believe in this stuff already get flack for it then you have a movie coming out saying OMG ITS REAL when its really not and it just makes those who really believe and those who have experienced it feel cheap and then it makes it harder to even talk about it because people will just say "oh its not real." Great idea Hollywood

so who says it not real. you dont know that, i dont know that. Weather it is or not till come out in the next few weeks.
saying that the towns angry over it is saying that if i watched a horror movie and it scared me then id be angry over that.

top topics

join