It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time machines have been built and we will never know or feel its effects.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
So i was reading another thread about Nazis building time machines.

Some people said if they had built one (successfully) we would all be speaking German.

Well thats not true.

If a time machine had been built and some one went back in time what do you think would happen? Not to them, but to you?

So lets say some nutjob went back through the ages. What would happen to your life? Would the clocks stop and turn backwards? Would the earth spin backwards? Would our lives be like a rewinding tape machine?

No. We would carry on living our lives in this universe, while some poor sucker went back to an alternative universe??

Ok, I dont know if that part aboult alternative universes is true?? But i do know a time machine can not make the earth spin backwards, or wipe our memories clean.

Does this make sense?? Again think about your life, and what would happen to you if some random person went back in time.

And dont go all spiritual/religious/superstitious on my ass. Be scientific.

EDIT: i dont know if Time machines have been built so my title to this thread may be misleading.

[edit on 18-11-2009 by jamie21m]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Do you have any proof that time machines have been built?

We will never know the effects of time travel because it isnt possible.

Have any Credible Evidence?

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Jamie maybe right. read the nick cook book on hunting for zero point. DAS CHRONOS LANTERN!!!

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
We don't have any evidence of time travel, so, saying this and that isn't possible, especially since we don't know how it works if it's even possible, is a little foolish. Theories are great, but, to start believing them with no evidence and facts to work from, is a bit silly.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
It wasn't possible to travel through the air until someone invented an airplane. It wasn't possible to travel through the depths of the sea until someone invented a submarine.

We are stuck in a linear progression of time, but only because we have not yet conquered it. Quantum physics tells us of Time/Space, the opposite of Space/Time, where space is linear and we would have freedom to travel through time as we can now through space.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by CowboyDrifter
Do you have any proof that time machines have been built?

We will never know the effects of time travel because it isnt possible.

Have any Credible Evidence?

Do you have proof it isnt possible and they havent been built? There is one thing I have learned in life ANYTHING is possible no matter what one says. We dont know everything!

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jamie21m

Great theory and I think you are to be commended on the lateral thinking but I have a problem with your theory.

Many years I woke up one morning to find Bob Dillon was alive and well and this shocked me as I sat watching some stupid TV advertisement and there he was lolling about in the back of a car.

My whole adult life I had been certain he was dead from a drugs overdose and my god-son was even named after him, his mother telling me she had named him after her dead idol, Bob Dillon. I remember her telling me this when he was a newborn.

I even have vague and fading memories of TV born grief and stories about the dead idols life.

Suddenly one morning Bob Dillon is alive and well and my brain leaked out of my ears trying to get my head around this. When I mentioned this strange alteration of my reality to my godson’s mother and the reason she had named her son with that name, she looked at me like I had just stuck a fresh haddock in her ear.

I think time travel is not only possible but that there are probably people out there changing time and when they change time we all experience it but rarely acknowledge it because everything changes, including our memories. However sometimes there are glitches, and I think I experienced one such glitch.

Before someone comes along and tells me I have been watching too much matrix, this weird event happened several years before the first film.

Starred and flagged

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   

I'm reading a book called 'Chaos' by James Gleick...it's a fascinating introduction on the science of chaos, one of the chapters is on the "Butterfly Affect"....we all know about it, but we tend to think of it in a radical sense.

By that I mean I travel back in time, have an accident with a man who dies, turn out he would have taken my mother to a dance where she would have met my father etc!

But the butterfly affect, and the world in general (aided by chaos) works on a much smaller scale.

If I travel back in time, the very disturbance in the atmosphere that my presence creates, the motions and actions I undertake, could possibly change the world for ever, alter history in a monumental way.

For example (using the same idea as a butterfly's wings), I go back in time, a bee flies at me and I swat it away, but I shouldn't have been there to swat the bee away and its' flight should have eventually taken it onto sting someone, that someone was supposed to die from an allergic reaction to the sting, that person now goes on to do something dramatic, creating millions of other butterfly affects, changing the course of history for ever. Even me walking could change the air flow in the atmosphere, perhaps unbelievably resulting in a weather system that causes a drought somewhere, resulting in a war or famine...chaos tells us that can happen.

Just the reality of time travel, a person occupying a space, place, event in time when they were not meant too, will probably have far reaching consequences.

I think if time travel had happened, we'd know somehow..de ja vu perhaps?

All the best...Kiwifoot

[edit on 18-11-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamie21m

If a time machine had been built and some one went back in time what do you think would happen? Not to them, but to you?

If a truly working time machine had actually been built and one random person did go back in time there are too many variables and different scenarios to even theorize specifically about what would happen.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Or let's explore the possibility that if you do travel back in time there is no way to change the future. Fate will correct it.

If you save someone's life, fate will kill them the next day in a different way. If you kill someone significant, someone new will immediately arise and take their place performing the same tasks. IE if you kill Edison, then someone else steps in and gets credit for the light bulb.

So in a sense a time machine would only be useful to observe past/future events and not interfere.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
If the earth is always moving, with an unpredictable or plottable orbit due to gravitational effects and such....around a sun that does the same around the center of the galaxy, which is also moving outwards from the big bang....how do you suppose a machine will be able to plot the exact coordinates in time when the earth was in a completely different position in space and plop you on the ground safe and sound? If they even got close, don't you think a few 'accidents' might have occured from trial an error? Such as, say, people hurtling from the atmosphere like a dirt torpedo? Perhaps NASA is also covering up the effects of frozen Time Traveller-cicles floating in orbit? I know...they take flying saucers through!

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This has been decided by most scientists for way too long now and you people STILL don't understand what would happen.

If nazis built a time machine and went back in time that very action would disentegrate their space-time dimension and they will be teleported to another universe. Our universe will be unchanged. Their universe might be them back in that time period. They will not be able to access our universe ever again. They will be wiped off the face of this planet/universe and be considered dead in this universe.

I can't really explain it too well because I just browse this forum casually and I am not exactly a writing genius.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Pretty much here is my theory on time travel. Let us assume that some sort of technology exists to allow time travel. When I say time travel, I mean that you successfully transport matter to a different point in time. This can be within a nanosecond or to a span of time furthur out. Now that you have transported the matter through time and space, what happens when you want to return? The problem is syncing back up with your old timeline. Because as the timeline you traveled to is growing(time passing), so to is the timeline that you left. That is, you have aged on the old timeline(even if you werent there). It is my theory that as much time has passed on your new timeline, the same amount of time has passed on your old timeline, plus/or minus the time allowing the technology to transport you(depending on how it operates). Basically what I am saying is, yes you may be able to travel, but the problem is returning.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I think that A: the machine itself would be left behind, or part of it, or a record of it. and given the alternate universe theory, B:someone would have traveled to our universe from their own, disturbing our timeline. where is this person? and if you say Titor I'm saying Santa Claus

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
On time machines:

I often hear in discussion about traveling backward or forward in time, but I've never heard anyone mention the "suspension" of time,
neither moving forward or backward.
IF the technology existed and was developed to the extent that time and date coordinates could be entered, then couldnt in theory a second by second negative decay be set up to literally STOP time?
Would DNA unraveling and aging cease?
Would the progression of disease cease?
We know thus far of within the electromagnetic spectrum, from elf-3hz thru y-300ehz, and we use a very paper thin part of this spectrum for "viewing" (700 thru 400nm) our perception of reality.
The "substance" of what we view resides within this spectrum as well but is not constructed within the viewing range, including ourselves.
Is not the theory of traveling "at the speed of light" applicable to only the "visible" frequency?
Visible Light is only part of the Electromagnetic Spectrum,
we are "aware" and have shared public data thus far of a "bookended" spectrum, it has what we've given, measurable ends.
So my question is, before I continue on,
Does it show logic to believe that it does in fact have "ends"?
And if so, what would be, beyond its ends?
And if NOT, what would be, beyond its ends?

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Okay, stick with me on this, and think about it - it might make sense.

Does it really matter ~WHEN~ a time machine is invented?

I submit to you all that if a time machine had already been invented in our reality/dimension, we would know about it.

If a time machine is yet to be invented (in our future), we would know about it, because they'd have the ability to come back into our time.

The only scenarios I can think of, are that A) if time travel is possible, you'd alter your own universe by using it. B) It's possible, but kept very secret. C) It just ain't possible.

I really can't see how they could hide something like that from everyone, past, present, and future.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Here's my take and I have worked on spatial compression, FTL, BEC and EPR/ER solutions for the government, military and universities... There are paradoxical problems in traveling to the past and to the future. In addition, there are paradoxical problems in viewing the future, but none in viewing the past. So the only probable "allowed" activities that might follow the conservation of time and space would be viewing the past.

Traveling to the past results in changes to the time stream and violates natural laws such as the conservation of energy/mass both at our originating and target temporal point. Viewing the future causes a temporal change IF what is viewed is acted upon IN ANY WAY (even if you think about it more than you would have normally as that may change your actions), thereby changing the future viewed. Traveling to the future violates the law of conservation of mass/energy but with an equitable mass mass/energy trade, it is possible, but there still may be temporal ripple effects as the past of the future may be effected by the mass/energy sent backwards in time in the transfer.

You might be able to travel "sideways" to alternate universes, but you also have the problems with the conservation of mass and energy since you must remove said mass/energy from this universe and deposit it into another universe. If there were equilibrium in the transfer, a trade of equal mass/energy, then it might be possible.

In any event, under the right conditions, nothing is impossible, there are only differing levels of non-zero probabilities.

Cheers - Dave

[edit on 11/18.2009 by bobs_uruncle]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

Okay so "stopping" time, (the viewers time) and letting the surrounding environment move past, would put you in the past.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Seeing as "time" is a figment of our imagination designed to measure an invisible dimension, time-travel is impossible in my opinion as there is nothing to "travel".

The "past" only exists as a memory and the "future" has not had it's chance yet.

ps...I wrote this on my SonyXV2520GGT MkV SP12 while waiting in the departure lounge for my connecting flight to phobos III with my fellow Saturnian friends.

[edit on 18/11/2009 by nerbot]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
If a person went back and changed the past it would not effect how we live today. Time then and now travels or flows at the same rate of speed all the time. Each change made back then would eventually change all of the future, but we would never know it because we are years ahead of the change.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join