It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is a conspiracy site isn't it? Then act like it people.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by they see ALL

Let's remember like it or not Everything IS a conspiracy.

Just kidding.

Listen, News is the basis for real conspiracies. Sometimes later down the line a politician will forget about that article in whatever online news source and put his foot in his mouth. Or they will deny saying something. Or a business will turn a profit when a few weeks ago they were about to go broke.

Someday someone will do something or say something and you will remember a thread and know that they are completely full of dung.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

I get sick of people posting there random and frankly insane CT's and then they get 10-20 pages of people telling him its the best thread ever and you've "opened my eyes", but if you stand back and take a common sense approach to the threads, you'll realise what there saying is completely insane.

Not everything posted on this website is true and as such all the threads should be treated with a pinch of salt, if you take them as absolutes, then you'll end up clinically insane.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Teki187

I am by no means saying that ALL of the threads posted here are even remotely based in reality. With that being said, it is your choice to participate in those threads or not. Do you acctually think that by actively attacking a conspiracy thread based in reality or not, you will change the conspiracy posters ideas? If so then who made you the chief of thought police?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   

No, rather try and bring some common sense into a thread which completely lacks it.

People need to be very careful when posting things like end of the world and so on, because people easily influenced will believe you and start to freak out. I've seen it happen and i've been watching it in a friend of mine for nearly 10 years. The more he reads about CT's, the worse he gets.

There is nothing wrong with "Lizard aliens" threads, but people need to be aware that they not only need to approach such things with common sense, but they also need to see the evidence and then realise what there seeing is nothing more then something easily explained but exploited to trick the mass.

Perfect example is the pixelation issues in most youtube videos of "lizard alien reporters" blinking.

So not only do you have a responsibility in your post to protect the weak minded, you also need to stop dealing in absolutes.

"100% proof aliens exist" and inside we get a faked UFO orb video through a grainy camera, out of focus and shaking like mad. There are so many threads on this forum with the above.

But that doesn't mean some posts are all false prophets, some threads do genuinely have truth in them, there just shrouded in a mist of lies and half truths.

[edit on 19-11-2009 by Teki187]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

I don't think so, at all, I am simply saying that we have no control over the way people post, and people will still post in the negative way that I despise so much.

I don't think you grasped what I was saying. I am talking about the closed-minded people that are skeptical and overly negative towards posters, and a lot of the time it is for no apparant reason.

I wish that these people would just skip past the posts and reply to only what they have either interest in or knowledge of, instead they grudgingly reply with out any actual reason other than to misdirect and derail the topic.

I am simply saying that we can not do anything about these types of people, so I might as well tell them to bring it on.

Furthermore, I am not rousing anyone, I am being honest about what these types of people are. If they are on this site but do as I explained to topics, then they are namby-pamby and afraid of changing their views or understanding. if they think they are always correct, even with little or no knowledge of the topic, then they are closed "circuitry" minded, and if they are just plainly following the crowd, or negative towards anything different or mildly truthful yet obscure, then they are sheeple. Simple.

You can't call me out for anything other than speaking my mind, so there!

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

No not at all, I'm simply suggesting that maybe there is no basis for skeptics being here SIMPLY TO BE SKEPTICAL. What are they skeptical about after all? If they didn't believe anything was going on untowardly, then why aren't they just at home doing other things like the rest of the unaware populace.

I don't get the fascination with a site like this for skeptics. I agree some skepticism is healthy and does invariably lead to the truth, BUT to be truly skeptical about all things taboo, something that you dont believe is happening anyway, then why the interest.

IE: why aren't these people at home baking cookies, cutting the grass and watching the normal news, accepting life as it is presented wholeheartedly like a good little member of the public?

Why register for a site such as this unless you have some belief that someone is doing something evil behind the scenes?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Especially when posting topics in Skunk works, people seem to forget this .....
( I posted this in a thread of mine where people where getting quite rude)

This forum is dedicated to the all-important highly speculative topics that may not be substantiated by many, if any facts and span the spectrum of topics discussed on ATS. Readers and users should be aware that extreme theories without corroboration are embraced in this forum. Discussion topics and follow-up responses in this forum will likely tend to lean in favor of conspiracies, scandals, and cover-ups. Members who would seek to refute such theories should be mindful of AboveTopSecret.com's tradition of focusing on conspiracy theory, cover-ups, and scandals.

Exactly.
Nice post op. Seems people need to be reminded of this. Flag and star.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
Wasn't this site founded on skepticism?
I could be wrong.

True. The problem comes when skepticism should end given enough evidence. Too often folks stick to their beliefs despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. This is where religious/political beliefs lie and thus you get the threads based purely on belief not skepticism.

Unfortunately this is well known and studied human behaviour. Once a person believes in something they ignore all evidence that counters that belief. It does not matter how that persons belief started!!!! even if they were lied to !!!! It's fascinating stuff but very useful to know.

There are very many illogical beliefs expressed here these days. I suspect the nature of the site attracts sad folks who 30 years ago would walk the street with an "The end of the world is nigh" board over their shoulders!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by malcr

There are very many illogical beliefs expressed here these days. I suspect the nature of the site attracts sad folks who 30 years ago would walk the street with an "The end of the world is nigh" board over their shoulders!!!!!!!!!

Logic is not a universal constant of any kind. It differs from one person to the next and is based on a multitude of aspects. What may seem logical to you might be perceived as utter nonsense by another person. Where is it stated that a belief of any sort has to be logical? It isn't. Don't assume anything unless a prior agreement has been made to validate that assumption.

A question one might ask themselves is: do I listen to my mind, or to my heart, or both?

I am of the opinion that should I only believe things which I am able to logically comprehend or explain, it would seriously limit me. Some things I cannot explain through using only logic, yet my intuition tells me without doubt that it is so. Even though I often have the urge to explain things to myself using scientific data, following my heart is what leads me to the only real truth I know. The rest is just based on other people's opinion, no matter how convincing their so called evidence might be. I strive for a healthy balance between the two when coming to a conclusion, but don't accept anything as the truth until my heart tells me to.

Some people use only logic, while again others use only intuition. The chance of these two extremes ever agreeing with eachother is slim to say the least. It all depends on what type of person you are. That said, I'm happy that there are so many different people with equally many convictions / beliefs etc.

The best thing is, we can all learn from eachother. Getting frustrated with others because we don't understand where they are coming is not helping either side. Either try to understand or move on, it's a simple choice. I'm happy we live in a time and place where we still have that choice. No need to call names on people who have other beliefs.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Mokoman

Logic is not a universal constant of any kind. It differs from one person to the next and is based on a multitude of aspects. What may seem logical to you might be perceived as utter nonsense by another person.

Well said, see my signature.
Most people don't get that. It's kind of like the rotating lady (left vs right brain) some perceive her rotating clockwise others counter clockwise. That is their reality, because it's true and real to them.

Once this is noticed, it's easy to see why people clash.

Oh, I love your avatar by the way!

[edit on 06/10/2009 by jinx880101]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

Thanks, I'm a big 'fan' of Alex Grey's work

You're right, although not everyone gets this unfortunately.
Naturally I also get aggitated with the way some people respond and I can only imagine that the same would be true for some others when they read my posts, as I too throw in a joke here and there and you never know upfront how it will be received.

I do agree with the OP when he/she states that some people appear to only join a conversation to disrupt the thread, but going into a discussion with them only serves that agenda.

The fun will wear off eventually once nobody responds anymore (at least, that's what I think)

Only thing that disturbes me on ATS is when people call others dumb or stupid or things like that. On the plus side, I find that it happens less here than on most other open forums.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Mokoman

Yeah, I've seen a couple of people who ONLY post negative comments. There was one guy on a thread of mine that was so rude I decided to do a 'background check'
After having a look through his posts section on his profile- ALL posts made by him were so negative. He had something like 200+ posts and not one thread! What do you call that? A troll? I was actually shocked.

Anyway, If I really think someone is being silly I just move on. If I know otherwise I will post my thoughts.

What I find really funny is how some people post in a thread they don't like saying- "Why are people still posting here?" + "I don't get it, this is stupid, why is this thread still going"..

They don't realize, the more they post, the more they keep the topic in the 'recent posts' page & the more time it spend there, the more people see it & click on it! Next thing you know, It's on the HOT TOPICS page!

Silly, Just ignore threads you think are stupid and let them sink. As simple as that.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

That was SUCH a long post, you pretty much said it all.
and to the OP:

Originally posted by LeaderOfProgress
reply to post by LiveForever8

This is a call out to all of us who seek conspiracies and the truth.

Paradox being: What happens when the conspiracy is not the truth?

Skepticism is one of the best tools in the pursuit of truth.
Conspiracy theories, Open mindedness, alternative topics, call it what you will, I like to think of it as imagination, the imagination on this site battles with skepticism to help us all venture a little closer to the truth.

I consider myself a skeptic and only started posting because I thought their was not enough off it on these forums, and I'd like to contribute to helping others and myself to better understand truth.

[edit on 19-11-2009 by countercounterculture]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by countercounterculture

The problem is that some people like stated above will hold to their guns even after there has been enough evidence brought foward to warrant a conspiracy. These like stated before "Uber-Skeptics" will bash a good theory into oblivion. I agree that there needs to be skeptics but not "skeptic only" people on the boards. Why be here if you are trying to only be a skeptic. To me it seems like some sort of Ego trip if all some one does is debunk threads here.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The original poster is 1000% accurate in his assessment. It is one thing to be an honest-minded skeptic and it is quite another to be a DENIALIST, PSEUDO-SKEPTIC!

Some people are here just to argue the obvious even when the evidence is overwhelmingly convincing. I must ask why?! Whats the point? Your not going to convince the hardcore believers anyway so why not do something more enjoyable with your life?!

I am not going to name people or directly accuse anyone of anything because its hard to prove but anyone who has been here for a reasonable amount of time already knows EXACTLY what I and the OP are discussing.

When I first got interested in conspiracy topics a few years ago you could say I was an uptight skeptic and thought most of the people where either delusional or had an unknown(perhaps evil) agenda to push, but eventually through HARD WORK they convinced me that there was MUCH MORE to life than what mainstream media would have ME believe. I started comparing everything mainstream to everything alternative and that helped me reach my own conclusions.

My conclusions do not make me a believer any more than they make me a skeptic. Some theories make very little(if any) sense so basically I either ignore them or refute them, always in a polite manner. I do not have to bash or ridicule them unless I sense something sinister in the air which makes me change tactics. Sometimes you must fight fire with fire and that becomes tricky.

Ok so why be a regular member on ATS or any other conspiracy site if your not willing to listen, read and/or debate in a reasonable fashion? Is there really a non-sinister answer to this?!

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by NibiruWarrior
I wish that these people would just skip past the posts and reply to only what they have either interest in or knowledge of, instead they grudgingly reply with out any actual reason other than to misdirect and derail the topic.

And often with LOUSY COMPOSITION SKILLS I might add; no punctuation, run on sentences, poor grammer, etc. Its almost as though NON-HUMANS are posting! Did you ever get that feeling?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I was under the assumption this was an "Alternative News Site" I mean the banner on the homepage states "THE MOST POPULAR WEBSITE FOR ALTERNATIVE TOPICS".

This website covers a wide range of topic with a wide variety of people. Not all of us are going to believe or agree with ever conspiracy. In my opinion this site provides an appropriate median for debate of ALTERNATIVE TOPICS. If we all agreed unwaveringly with every post, nothing would seperate us from the people who believe everything the main stream media says. The fact that debates happen here on a regular basis is proof positive in our belief of freedom of speech and not accepting everything we read at face value. At least thats what attracted me to the site.

[edit on 19-11-2009 by Lesch]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeaderOfProgress

This is exactly what I am talking about. What I said was not "rubbish". We all know that there are people who are employed by the government to be what is best described as "dis-info" agents. They are put forth to cause problems on sites like this. They use their "expert" opinions and constant denial of conspiracies to stop threads from progressing.

I do not agree with some of the ideas on this site but I do not go around making those who wish to post about those topics lifes harder.

"WE ALL KNOW"....

Prove it.

How do you know there are 'disinfo agents' on this site trying to ruin apparent 'good theories'?

(There are some decent theories, and some very rubbish/silly ideas on here too.)

See thats also a problem on here, i would say i'm open minded, but some of the apparent "conspiracies" posted are, imo, nonsense. Whilst i won't go out of my way to ruin a thread, i will post my opinion on it, if it interests me enough, and hey, why can't i do that?

I personally think it's funny you think government agencies would actually send people onto this site to 'de-rail' a thread so that the 'idea/theory' doesn't get too far developed. I very much doubt that happens at all, what use would it have? It's all theory work, 8/10 things on here could ever be proven/disproven when they are theories, especially about 'universal energies' or certain religions, even conspiracies closer to home about the government. Again, mostly unprovable, EITHER way.. FOR or AGAINST.

I find it very interesting reading and debating on this site, but sometimes there are the odd folk who won't take their head out of the oven of extreme conspiracy to look at things any other way except their way.

Again, i've enjoyed some very good threads on here, and do indulge myself in theories of the universe and conspiracies, hence why i joined, but i think some of the forums on here have become cluttered a bit with totally out there conspiracies with no proof or sense (That or religious threads.)

Just because i may only find 5/10 conspiracies on here interesting/likely to be real, it doesn't mean that because i also post in the other 5 i think are nonsense, that i'm a total skeptic of everything.

[edit on 19-11-2009 by Lister87]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
PS - I think some on here would consider me a skeptic, just because they tend to see my post in threads where my opinion differs to the OP, than they do in threads i actually agree with. (Because i spend more time off researching threads i think are more likely to be true, than i do others.)

So don't try reply to me and make me out to be a 100% against everything on here guy, i'm not that, far from it, just because i don't agree with half of the theories on here, or even yourself, doesn't mean i'm totally against conspiracies in general. I wouldn't have sat reading this site for years, and then signing up to post otherwise.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

I hate to break the bad news to you but it pretty well known that
the government has hired ppl to monkey wrench online forums,
and also monitor them.

So what you might be getting is either the usual trolls, or tax paid
government disinfo agents.

I am sure one or two will chime in now how I am crazy.

Knock yourself out.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join