It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to explore Mars and have fun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

The US space agency needs your help to explore Mars. A Nasa website called "Be A Martian" allows users to play games while at the same time sorting through hundreds of thousands of images of the Red Planet. The number of pictures returned by spacecraft since the 1960s is now so big that scientists cannot hope to study them all by themselves. The agency believes that by engaging the public in the analysis as well, many more discoveries will be made.

here is the NASA link beamartian.jpl.nasa.gov...

and the link to the article news.bbc.co.uk...

Basically NASA cant be bothered looking through gigs of photos so there offering everyday folk a shot at finding something the world might consider interesting.

Looks interesting i might have a look when i get home.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
OK since the 1960's? ANd the entire teams a NASA coudnt revieew em all? Either theirs too many overpayed full timers thier, or this is pure laziness*
SOunds to me, like some kinda stint or stunt NASA is doing, too see how much the american public still wants to go to mars* maybe to jsutfy future missions worth major $$$ funding. Public opinion of course does reflect on how much sometimes, NASA gets funding on. APollo is a good example of that. We weere hyped to go to the moon...we did, got boring, public lost interest quick, NASA srill spent hundreds of millions when no one cared anymore, mid 70'sand in doing so..goerment cancelled fudning* public wanst interested anymore.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Seems like a nice website and a fun initiative. But, it does seem strange indeed that they need the masses to map photos for them, I can imagine that they had to come up with a latitude-longitude scheme to categorize every picture send back. This would could be done with a computer programme...

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
regardless i think its a positive move to try and include the public. And who knows if the photos really are untouched and there is something to be found on Mars who better than a team of keen eyed observers like what we have here at ATS to do it.

Its either a stunt to get people more interested in the space agency and seeing as it wasnt on tv or radio but relegated to a web news post im sure there not aiming for the masses with this one. looks more like they are targeting people already with a keen interest in Mars.

Or its genuine and they really dont have the man power to go through them all. Anyway whats the harm in looking?

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Cool site.. just signing up now, I can't see there being anything groundbreaking in the shots but who knows.

What I can see happening is a lot of members posting threads along the lines of 'OMG my nan's dead dog is on MARS!!!'

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
SNOWEY!!

I found her
(my nans dead dog)

I have signed up, I thought i was going to get to be one of each of the robots

I am a humming bird.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
yeah im an eagle or a hawk user name Bathisda. im still not sure how to get access to the pics but im looking.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I've lined a few pictures up, apparently earning myself 200 points. (which haven't shown up on my citizen card passport thingy yet. But I want to fly around Mars and i wanna do it NOW!! *folds arms and pouts*

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

lol yeah i know i counted about 40 craters and didnt line up many maps i cant figure that part out yet.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
The images are kind of already in the right place, use the slider to make them see through, and the little arrows to line them up a little better. (if they need it) Then click done. 100 points for 3 pictures.

I like it, shame I'm at work, I could map mars all day long. (nasa - hint that's an offer if you want to pay me
)

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

haha yeah i think the reason they want the public to do it is because they are either broke and cant afford it or they are cutting back on cost so they can afford a nice fat bonus for Christmas.

Still your right it kills time if you have nothing to do at work, And your helping map mars.

hmm i wonder if they will let us name craters after ourselves if we do enough.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Cool! I signed up. I love looking at pictures of Mars. I spent hours, about half the day yesterday look at Google Mars...Funny how the Cydonia region is blurred out where I want to look but the face isnt and there is some webbot you can talk to while in the Cydonia region. It tells you facts about Mars and then insults you...lol I will have to try this site out. Thanks! S&F!!

Im a bat and my name is Anck-su-Namun

[edit on 11/18/2009 by mblahnikluver]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
They're doing the SETI thing by letting citizens parse through all the information. It's not a bad idea.. and a great way to get kids interested in space travel. Perhaps they should have airbrushing competitions too!

IRM

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
oooh you big fat cynic, you

I'm loving this, thanks for posting it up. This will make the mornings and the afternoons just fly by

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
That's interesting... I'll have a look. Naming the craters after the ones who discover them sounds like a great idea.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Is this site on Mars?
God, it's slow or is it installing malware various?

Also feels like you are signing up to the Cult of the Lobotomised

PS...If this is the best Nasa and Microsoft can come up with, God help us. I'm on my 10th attempt at registration!

[edit on 18-11-2009 by nomadros]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by nomadros
Is this site on Mars?
God, it's slow

The signal probably slows down while crossing Milky Way.

new topics

top topics

join